Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a good Alpine head unit that matches the amber dash lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Another Chinese piece of crap. Read the reviews - it doesn't rate very well. And what happens when you buy a new phone that's a different form factor? You have to use their case on your iPhone too.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I'm a design language snob.

How much is that Becker Traffic Pro? Looks good, as most of them do!

EDIT: $599 on eBay! Gads. Twice what I'm looking to spend, tops, though I guess resonable for what it is. Looks like what BMW and Ferrari use as well in their single-DIN navi applications...
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

For the reference record, Nakamichi also does a CD300 but it doesn't appear to have an AUX. Nice otherwise. My eyes are turning back to the CD400 above all.

(not really concerned with controlling the iPhone or even Pandora controls- just want an AUX input, preferably in the back)
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Did you check out the Kenwood picture I posted? It looks very natural...matches the aesthetic. I searched for a long time to find something that didnt look thrown in there.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Fintro11
Pro

I wouldn't mind getting a Blaupunkt once i fix everything :P I have a pioneer right now I love the front usb
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by BlackOp
Did you check out the Kenwood picture I posted? It looks very natural...matches the aesthetic. I searched for a long time to find something that didnt look thrown in there.
Yeah it's not bad- thanks. I just want something more 'German' and symmetrical that more closely matches the switchgear on these dashes. These are the Blaupunkts that I miss so dearly... I wonder if any from this era had AUX?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Oh my. We have another contender.

*goes off to eBay again*
Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist

How much is that Becker Traffic Pro? Looks good, as most of them do!

EDIT: $599 on eBay! Gads. Twice what I'm looking to spend, tops, though I guess resonable for what it is. Looks like what BMW and Ferrari use as well in their single-DIN navi applications...
I would not recommend the Traffic Pro, unless you get a good deal. New maps are not available and the last update is from 2003. And it isn't moving map, its voice and arrows. The only reason I have one is because SW Stereo had a brand new one in the box for less than what the used ones are selling on eBay. I'd keep an eye out for a CDR220, but you need to make sure it has the enhanced faceplate, otherwise you can't see the display from the driver's seat. A good used CDR220 usually goes for $100-$150, with enhanced faceplate, $175-$225. If you have to buy the faceplate, it's $200 from Becker USA. You may want to contact SW Stereo and see what they have.

Originally Posted by robstah
I absolutely love the Denon, but they're hard to find and expensive. Probably my favorite HU of all time.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A clean DCT-1 will probably run you about $800 to $1k, you could also look for the "denford" aka the rockford fosgate version of that stereo that was still made by denon. Good luck! Check out Diyma.com, they seem to pop up in the forums from time to time.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by CurtP
I would not recommend the Traffic Pro, unless you get a good deal. New maps are not available and the last update is from 2003. And it isn't moving map, its voice and arrows. The only reason I have one is because SW Stereo had a brand new one in the box for less than what the used ones are selling on eBay. I'd keep an eye out for a CDR220, but you need to make sure it has the enhanced faceplate, otherwise you can't see the display from the driver's seat. A good used CDR220 usually goes for $100-$150, with enhanced faceplate, $175-$225. If you have to buy the faceplate, it's $200 from Becker USA. You may want to contact SW Stereo and see what they have.

I absolutely love the Denon, but they're hard to find and expensive. Probably my favorite HU of all time.
Thanks for this advice- I'll give them a call this week and see.

The DCT-1 is gorgeous, but if you do a search for 'Denon DCT' on eBay, I was able to find comparable models for $380+ in good shape. One of them interestingly was a Japanese import with a Japanese FM band- I didn't even know their was totally different! I only use AUX though, and some AM.

Originally Posted by Arominus
A clean DCT-1 will probably run you about $800 to $1k, you could also look for the "denford" aka the rockford fosgate version of that stereo that was still made by denon. Good luck! Check out Diyma.com, they seem to pop up in the forums from time to time.
Also good to know- thank you.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Dont forgot the Mcintosh MX406 / MX4000.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Dammit Sam! Those are even more incredible, and equally out of my price considerations. Probably about tops for single-DIN HUs though. I've always admired those.

*sobs*
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your spending that kind of money the Pioneer P99RS is the best single din headunit in production right now, like the denon's it requires amplification.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEXP...S.html?tp=5684
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Drooooooool...

Definitely not spending anywhere that kind of money. Talking to a seller on eBay right now with a brand new Blaupunkt Ventura from the 90s who is confused about RCAs for an amp vs. aux... doesn't look like I'll be able to pull that off. Really considering the Becker CDR-220...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Try and find an old Alpine CDA7939E (BTW the euro designation is E not R). Has amber lighting and was state of the art in its day and can be serviced back into life quite easily if CD laser has gone, and has Aux in capability. No internal amps either. Becker is the OEM for Porsche, MB, and BMW, so will fit the design language to a tee, if you get an older unit(10 years+).

I went an Alpine screen with BT iPhone integration and sat nav, as screens like these have so few buttons they just blend in. I also got the splash screen changed to a Porsche logo so looks factory when it boots up
good luck with your hunt
peace
Cyberpunky

Quick Reply: Is there a good Alpine head unit that matches the amber dash lights?