Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone here from Athens, GA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 PM
athens944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still here. I have seen a few more 944's around town lately. My turbo is a little beat up - hence the bra. There is a guy with a shop on Collins Industrial off North Ave that seems to know our cars well. He is not an exclusive Porsche guy. There are usually a few parked over there.

Are you bringing all those 944s with you?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Duke of Understeer
Instructor

Formally from that area and most likely will be returning to that area. Not far from Road Atlanta. I suggest going to the track and checking it out.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hopps
Just drove it this week, as well as a Hwy 60 leading into the Suches loop. We were in Blue Ridge for the weekend, so it was a perfect time to check it out. In all honesty, Hwy 60 running though the Chattahoochee Forest is equal to, if not BETTER than the Suches loop. It has a really nice section of about 6 switchbacks, that you can fly through. The loop was a lot of fun too, though. One part of the loop has two lanes going one way, and if you go that way...Oh my gosh, it's fantastic! With no one on the roads, you can switch back and forth and take some amazingly tight corners. We did a total of about 120miles of driving. From Blue Ridge, down Hwy 60, around the loop and back. It was an amazing drive, the speed limits were exactly where they needed to be for the roads, and on a good day, there won't be any traffic. It was an almost perfect trip except for two things: People on bicycles, and my sisters bf toatling her car. Please, if you go there, BE VERY CAREFUL. He had a FWD car, came into a corner a bit too fast, lost the back end, straightened it up, and then the steering wheel snapped left and straight into a well placed dirt wall. Had it not been there, they wouldn't either.

Please, PLEASE, drive responsibly. Know your car, it's limits, and yours. I had no trouble with my (almost) stock 944. Tires weren't squealing at all, never lost the back end, had great control over all the corners, and I wasn't going easy on it. It's an absolute blast to drive, but I don't want anyone to get hurt. Luckily, they were fine, the airbags deployed and saved them. But please, drive safe everyone!
Wow, that must have been a very frightening experience! Hopefully they were not injured too bad. Sounds like a fun route though. I am definitely excited about giving it a round.

I have organized a couple "twisty" road cruises and rallies and such, and we've had a few people spin in corners, and in one case, a Miata fly sideways into a tree. People are always so often unaware of their cars limitations and abilities. It sucks that they have to find out the hard way sometimes!
At our drifting events down here we often teach novice drifters lots and lots of car control techniques before really jumping right into hardcore drifting maneuvers. And usually with enough practice and experience those techniques will pay off on the streets during an emergency or unexpected traction-loss situation.

Originally Posted by athens944
I am still here. I have seen a few more 944's around town lately. My turbo is a little beat up - hence the bra. There is a guy with a shop on Collins Industrial off North Ave that seems to know our cars well. He is not an exclusive Porsche guy. There are usually a few parked over there.

Are you bringing all those 944s with you?
Interesting.. I'll have to check the place out! And let me know if I can assist with any parts. I might actually be driving one of my parts cars up there before I decide to start parting it out. LOL

I'm certainly bringing a bunch of them, but probably not all... going to have at least one or two sold here within the next couple weeks.

I'm also bringing an old VW sandrail, and my girlfriends cars which are both older bmw's. An 89 325i and a 76 2002!

Originally Posted by Duke of Understeer
Formally from that area and most likely will be returning to that area. Not far from Road Atlanta. I suggest going to the track and checking it out.
Let us know when you return!
And I love Road Atlanta, been there at least a dozen times for various events. It's going to be awesome living so much closer to it now!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

bump! Any more Athenians?!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Drift,

Welcome to town! I live right off of Barnett Shoals as well--in fact you are my neighbor! I live on Lea ct. I think there is a pewter 944 that lives in those little townhomes just south of you. There is also a red one that lives in Green Acres about a mile north up barnett shoals like you are heading to kmart. Its under a cover--thought about stopping by to see what the deal is with it--wanna go?

Lots of pcar folks here--more than you'd think.

Justin

BTW: the gentleman off Collins Industrial Blvd. is Rich Dean of Classic Design and Fabrication--if you need any Porsche work done--he is your man.
Shop number is 706-354-6700

Last edited by justin-in-athens; 05-10-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
Drift,

Welcome to town! I live right off of Barnett Shoals as well--in fact you are my neighbor! I live on Lea ct. I think there is a pewter 944 that lives in those little townhomes just south of you. There is also a red one that lives in Green Acres about a mile north up barnett shoals like you are heading to kmart. Its under a cover--thought about stopping by to see what the deal is with it--wanna go?

Lots of pcar folks here--more than you'd think.

Justin
haha AWESOME!!! Boy I am really excited about moving up there and meeting you guys. We are going to have a great time!

And heck yeah, lets check that thing out!!

I'm actually headed up there tomorrow (5/11/12) till Sunday to drop off one of my cars at the house, and to visit the Formula D drift event happening at Road Atlanta. I make the trip up there every year for that event, it's amazing. If any of you guys want to get together Saturday evening or something, let me know!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:12 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Had a great time meeting up with Justin last weekend, we knocked on the door for that red 944 but no answer... We'll definitely have to try again soon and see whats up with it!

My moving date is this Wednesday... so close! And still not sure how I'm going to bring all the cars up.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

I walked over to that side of the neighborhood this morning with the dogs, car is fine!
I would offer to help you get them up here, but I don't think I'm going to be off again for like 2 weeks. If your in no hurry, we might can ride down and pick one up early in june.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Do you folks know about this: http://www.atlantamotorsportspark.net/?

It's in Dawsonville and has just recently opened. I was signed up for a DE in July, but have a conflict and had to back out. Rats!

Looks like a great track, though, and I hope to get there soon. I'm jealous of you guys for being much closer!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
Do you folks know about this: http://www.atlantamotorsportspark.net/?

It's in Dawsonville and has just recently opened. I was signed up for a DE in July, but have a conflict and had to back out. Rats!

Looks like a great track, though, and I hope to get there soon. I'm jealous of you guys for being much closer!
I got a packet for it at last year's Petit LeMans, the buy in to be a "member" was fifteen thousand dollars! I think that gets you sixty days of use annually
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Athens944, hopps, Brad, Rob, Justin, and all others, shall we perhaps pick an evening in the next week or two that we can all meet up? Nothing fancy, just an opportunity to hang out for a bit and chat, maybe grab a bite or something while we're at it. Sound interested? Let me know when would work best for you guys and we'll just set it up.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
athens944
Pro

Sounds good to me - figure out the details and I should be able to make it. By the way - did you get all the cars to Athens?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

I'm up for it! Elliot, I didn't forget about your text today. I don't have any good suggestions for you either. I've got a favor I can call in though--I'll have to talk to the guy and see if he is up for the job. It'll still cost you fuel I'm sure.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 AM
928dreamer
Instructor

I am from Athens (winterville) and I have a 84 944. I have also been wanting to get involved with some 944 guys. Thanks for starting the thread. Also congrats on the move to Athens. I have seen a few 944s hitting the town lately ( gun metal gray 944 and another red 85 or 86)
I also go to road Atlanta often and think a 944 caravan from Athens would be sick. Keep me posted and let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Joe
84 944 daily driver
Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Sounds great guys. Does anybody know of a good location to meet? I'm thinking along the lines of something with a friendly outside atmosphere and if we meet in the evening, a well lit parking area.

Originally Posted by athens944
Sounds good to me - figure out the details and I should be able to make it. By the way - did you get all the cars to Athens?
So far I have 2 of them up here - both 86 951's, both pretty rough condition, but both running anyway, LOL. I am trying to buy an 83 parts car off CL this week, so I might have another here soon. And the rest are still in Orlando but will one-by-one be transported up, somehow!

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
I'm up for it! Elliot, I didn't forget about your text today. I don't have any good suggestions for you either. I've got a favor I can call in though--I'll have to talk to the guy and see if he is up for the job. It'll still cost you fuel I'm sure.
Hey Justin, no worries! Last week I actually met a couple of Miata guys that live around the corner, and I asked one of them today if he knew a way I could tow that car home... and he said his friend would gladly do it for some gas money. So we are going to set up a time this week to get the car hopefully, if it's not sold before then!

Originally Posted by 928dreamer
I am from Athens (winterville) and I have a 84 944. I have also been wanting to get involved with some 944 guys. Thanks for starting the thread. Also congrats on the move to Athens. I have seen a few 944s hitting the town lately ( gun metal gray 944 and another red 85 or 86)
I also go to road Atlanta often and think a 944 caravan from Athens would be sick. Keep me posted and let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Joe
84 944 daily driver
Hey Joe, thanks for chiming in! The gun metal gray 944 might have been robstah (Rob)... did it sound like a normal 944? Up here I have a burgundy one with black twist wheels, and a black one, currently with one of my sets of green wheels, but neither of which I've been driving much yet (trying to conserve gas since I don't have a job at the moment). And I think a 944 caravan from Athens to Road Atlanta would be awesome! We'll have to find an event to attend.

I've been crossing my fingers that one of these years soon the Mitty event at RA will have Porsche as the featured marque. That is a fun event to go to!

Quick Reply: Is anyone here from Athens, GA?