Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals won't work with headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 AM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals won't work with headlights on

Ok, so I just bought my first 1986 951 last night and am going through the car seeing what weird little issues I have to fix, and I found one. The turn signals work fine when the headlights are off, meaning that they blink correctly on the correct side, and in the dash, both arrows blink in sync (don't know if it is normal for both arrows to blink together no matter which side you turn on...) Emergency lights work fine here as well.

As soon as i turn on headlights or parking lights, turn signals do not work. The green arrows in the dash do not turn on, outside the lights are not on, emergency lights button is just for show. Nothing happens. No clicks, no nothing. It is as if I just did nothing. If the turn signals are on and I turn on the parking lights/headlights, the turn signals go off immediatly and will turn back on as soon as the lights are off again. Also, if I go outside and look, the turn signals are on, just not blinking. I am also sometimes having a starting issue. Engine cranks but wont go. Then it will randomly start with no problem.

Here is a video of the turn signal issue
http://youtu.be/6jWNR-J6Xr0

I have check the grounds behind each headlight, the ground in the trunk, and the two pairs of grounds in the driver footwell. all are good and tight. I also found out if i play with the headlight switch and hold it right where it goes from off to parking lights, I can get the parking lights on and have turn signals work.

I ordered an indicator relay and will see if that helps. Other than that I am stumped!

Last edited by szabon; 03-04-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: forgot the year
Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a spare stalk switch set as a result of chasing a similar issue. For me, it was the wipers firing when the lights were on and right turn signal but not left. Eventually it got fixed but not because of the new stalk switch. I cleaned and re-attached every ground I could find including the installation of a complete Iceshark kit.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Yarf
Racer

Sounds like a problem with the light switch.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 AM
szabon
Racer

The headlight switch? Will that really screw up the turn signals being on? I have the turn signal relay coming, but I'll look around for a headlight switch as well. I have a strange feeling I am going to have a ton of extra relays and switches when this is done...

What is the IceShark kit? I searched, but just found a bunch of discussion about it, no place to buy it...

Also, do you guys think it is possible the dme or klr is bad? I'm super new at this stuff, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I checked the grounds I listed, which are the only grounds connected to the headlights and turn signals according to the electrical diagrams. Am I missing any? All of these look super clean and tight (except the headlight ones. They are tight, but look old, vs all the others are bright and shiny).
Old 03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
szabon
Racer

anyone?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I'd put my money on the hazard switch. There is a lot of wiring and diode logic in there to enable the parking marker light feature to work.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM
szabon
Racer

any way to test these switches besides just buying and swapping?

Also, did I check all the grounds, or did I miss one?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:34 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

By clean and tight, do you mean that you removed them, inspected and cleaned them, then put them back on and tight? If not, give it another try. Corrosion can travel under the wires protective coating, they can also be corroded heavily at the wire/connector crimp point. For diagnositics, there is nothing wrong with adding more grounds. (at/on/near the part in question) I once had a tailight that had power all the way to the bulb socket...ended up being the solder joint (which looked clean). I ran power to the bulb socket as a test, and bingo, the light worked. I then redid the solder joint. Frustrating to discover.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
szabon
Racer

you would think if it was bad grounds that things would be a bit more inconsistant though, no? and I would love to run some extra grounds to diagnose, but I don't really know where to start. I will def undo and clean the grounds like you suggest. Should I remove the metal loop crimped to the wires, or just clean that while still attached to the car?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:45 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To answer your question about the Ice Shark Kit. It was a super grounding kit made for our cars which helped eliminate many of electrical problems that have shown up as the cars get older. Although the maker of the kit has passed away,you can get the same kit from lister "Robby". Do a search on this name for info.

Quick Reply: Turn signals won't work with headlights on