Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i be concerned ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
jfmitchell44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i be concerned ?

gentlemen, while i am replacing leaking fuel rail i have whipped off the intake manifold to check out the hoses underneath for cracks, the inside of the intake manifold is quite oily! is this something i should be concerned about?

also i looked inside the oil filler neck and there is a small amount of white sludge, i did have the intake off a month back and the ports were left open for a day or two, would that allow enough moisture in to cause this or am i staring a ****tty head gasket in the face?

any feedback appreciated.
'82 944 2.5 8v btw
Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

A small amount of white sludge in the AOS is normal especially if the weather is cold and you do short trips on the car. It's just condensation mixing with oil.

A small amount of oil in the intake is also normal, your engine vents through the intake and carries oil mist with it that normally gets burned off. Any excess will pool in the intake over time however if it is excessive change your aos seals, it's a good time to do it now anyway with the intake off.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with Magk944 that while you've got the intake off, change the AOS seals and check the ground just behind it for quality. Might even replace the seal on the oil cap. I used the opportunity to rebuild the injectors (Witch Hunter in Washington state) and clean all the junk, dirt and stuff that collects on the top and AOS side of the engine block (be careful no debris or dirt gets into the AOS holes to the block.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
jfmitchell44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, i've ordered new aos seals and one for the cap. injectors are just back from rebuild. ive pulled the throttle body from the intake and there was a small amount of fresh oil there, is that normal?/acceptable? , or is this just a sign of poor aos seals? also have ordered another round of intake gaskets as leaking fuel from rail has wrecked them (literally just replaced them).
Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it look like THIS

heres a link to the seal http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item5

also if you keep seeing the white goo "banana smoothie" and start to think it is a head gasket but the car is running normal try looking at the oil cooler first. thats what happened to me i did a hole top end rebuild and my head gasket was fine but my oil cooler gasket was screwed

Quick Reply: should i be concerned ?