Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any chump car members here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:17 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 928dreamer
Yes I see what your saying. But are the fees to race not higher in the spec clubs? Chump is 500 for the race + 100 per driver.
NASA 944 spec is $299 per weekend. Of course a Normal weekend does not included 24 hrs of track time, but I have found that in an enduro you can get alot of time just turning laps rather than actually racing.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it normally pretty cheap to get a competition license for 944 spec and spec miata?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Is it normally pretty cheap to get a competition license for 944 spec and spec miata?
Comp license is not something you buy. It is something you earn. Well you can buy Skip Barber school time and try to get a comp licnese, but that is not the ideal way.

The right way is to start in DE and learn. DE is there not to make you pay money, but to learn the basics. One you have learned the basics and demonstrated skills you can test for a comp license which can cost nothing or wait for a school which wil cost maybe $349 or $399. The expense is really in the number of DE days it take to develop the skills. Really however that is not a waste since to be an effective racer you need to have the basic skills down. Otherwise you can be way off the pace or be dangerious to yourself and others.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes I see what your saying. But are the fees to race not higher in the spec clubs? Chump is 500 for the race + 100 per driver.
If you are dickering over cheap safety gear, a few hundred bucks here and there for fees, etc, racing (in any form) is NOT for you.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

I'm not "dickering" over the safety equipment, but being the team captain I want to have my "ducks in a row".
When buying the safety equipment I will follow the rule book to the tee.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

as the team captain for a chump team (formerly), a pca instructor and a prospective nasa spec racer i can see each of these for what they are. I have driven DE's for years and am now to the point that i would like to start racing. A couple years back i started a chump team with Sam and some friends and we started racing the "Dragon". This was an awesome way to get aquainted with racing because it wasnt too much stress to win but the door to door competition was real. I say if you go straight from DE to spec racing- not that you shouldnt or couldnt- you may be in for a surprise on just how tight quarters can get on the track and how you will need to "make a new line" around any corner. Chump is great for beginners who want to experience racing but i also agree that building my spec car was not much different than building my chump car. The cage was cheaper in the chump car- got a nice cage for $500 installed vs. the $1500 for my HVHR cage not installed. Suspension etc costs much more and i spent alittle more preparing my spec motor than the chump one although it was very similar. So far the main difference ive seen between the two is the cost of signing up for NASA racing. Its about $120 a year to be a member and keep your license once you take the $500 comp school to get your license. Tires are expensive but last along time and contingency money helps with that, but chump tires can get pricey too if you cant find the right size. So you figure for a race weekend in nasa you'll be spending $500 to enter the car plus say five drivers- $1000 split five ways- $200 per person. Not bad. Then rent a transponder and pay for your bonus five laps $150 - $230 per person- then gas- well if you do a 24 hour race and your car uses 7 gallons per hour like most then thats....168 gallons at 3.50 per gallon thats...$588 - $347 per person- plus each driver needs a suit, helmet, socks, shoes, neck collar at least, gloves which can add up quick like $1000 right there but lets say since both races would need this we dont count that. So you drive out to the race - if you are like us we are not near most venues so it cost about $400 both ways for towing - $427 per person -no hotels but food etc adds up- lets say each person ends up spending just over $500 for a chumpcar weekend. Thats not bad. This keep in mind is after youve built the car and have your equipment.

Nasa- so you spend about $300-400 per race weekend and use about 40 gallons of gas if you get six hours total on the track thats about $140 in gas. Your hotel is $75-100 per night and you have three two nights- $740 for the weekend. You trailer but your venue is closer- $200 to tow- $940 for the weekend not including your yearly fees etc.... oh and did i mention the car needs inspected every year and this costs...??? not sure yet how much that runs-maybe free at the track if you wait in line- and you need the added safety gear like a center net $150, hans or hybrid- $500-$1200. Im not nitpicking spec racing but you can see how it gets expensive much faster than chump. The thing is if you build a chump car and stick with it you get out pretty cheap most the time just paying for the entry fee unless your building a new motor after each race. I like chump racing and i'll miss it. Time to try spec next year once i get my car together.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

we race a 924s in chumps, and we are the recent recipient of "the dragon". I have not done any other racing, just de's but chumps is a ton of fun, and the reason I am building my own race car. I cant think of another way to get as much real world seat time.

From our perspective, its very similar to real[sic] racing. We make room for the leaders, pass the slower traffic like a rolling chicane, and find someone close to our speed to be competitive with. Last race (in the dragon none the less), I went side by side against a camaro for damn near a half hour. I dont know what you call real racing, but it sure felt "real" to me.

One comment that was made that I completely agree with is that its very possible for the newer drivers to drive like a DE. I am guilty of this very thing, and it spawned a very fruitful discussion in the racing section of rennlist. I do think there is room for education of new drivers that, especially in an enduro, hitting the apex is something you cannot count on
, nor is that critical in a race.

I can honestly say that I would never have raced a car if it wasnt for chumps. I would not be building my own race car if it wasnt for chumps, and I certainly would not be here contributing to this thread if it wasnt for chumps. To me, its been an amazing, positive experience that I hope others can get a chance to share.

team "flat out racing" will be at eagles canyon in our 924s pretending to really race, but having a hell of a time.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

Wells it great to hear from
People that are out there having a great time. Me and my crew are
Planning to run at road Atlanta in 2 years and we want
To have the car purchased In a year. We are excited to get involved.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by xsboost90
...oh and did i mention the car needs inspected every year and this costs...??? not sure yet how much that runs-maybe free at the track if you wait in line- and you need the added safety gear like a center net $150, hans or hybrid- $500-$1200....
Annual tech costs me $0 over the last 10 years of racing. Typically I do it at the track of the first event of the season. Some regions charge for this maybe $40. In the overall plan it nothing. A for center net and HANS. You should run them on chump car too since if you hit a wall it won't care if you were in chump car race or spec car. The wall is the wall.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Tabbasco
Instructor

I am planning to do a 24 hour LeMons race, then Chumpcar then 944 spec. The 944, we purchased for $550 then sold off enuf items to make it run, is in pretty good shape minus cosmetics. Can't wait to get it on the track...
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks to Dan and Dizzy for their perspective. I did not like the tone the spec purists were laying down, it sounds very condescending to say you have to have a REAL license in your pocket (chumps do too, albeit worthless) to be 'real' racing. Yea, and a front engine Porsche is not a real Porsche, either, right? Chumps is a TEAM sport. You are comparing apples to oranges, texas holdem to solitaire, or an orgy to masturbation.
If working together with 4 or 5 of your good buddies to accomplish a extremely cool product, and then having a amazing weekend full of fun and thrills with that toy (and your friends) is not for you, too bad. BUT-this cheap racing phenom has got thousands of newbies buckled in and racing and wrenching-SAFELY!
Your spec series is likely not going to help our small budgeted OP newbie, but we have just what the doctor ordered. If he runs with chumps, has a blast but IF he gets 'rubbed' too much or his buddies stop helping him or giving him piles of cash, then maybe he can join you guys in the Cup, "REAL" racing. Pffft.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

Is there any rule against getting sponsors for your car to put advertisements on it. Some local businesses chipping in possibly?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

Another question: does the car have to run when you buy it.? Something in the rules sounded like that but I wasn't sure. Something like " it has to drive away".
Old 02-14-2012, 01:49 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Tabbasco-DON'T take a pretty 944 to a lemons event. The Lemons series has earned a reputation for adding a heavy 'circus like' presence to the events, many folks have decided the Chump series was more in line with their priorities.

I will admit the Nelsons race was a bit insane, with a narrow track, wet runoffs and fog rolling over the flag (?) stations at 3AM and 100MPH+. Safe? yea, probably not. The cage sure helped me feel that way. I certainly understand it is NOT for everyone. But after it was over, the 5 of us agreed it was the wildest thing we have ever done and could not wait to do it again.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Another question: does the car have to run when you buy it.? Something in the rules sounded like that but I wasn't sure. Something like " it has to drive away".
For chumps, all that matters is the 10 printed out craigslist adverts in your folder show a car like yours can be bought in running/driving condition for $500. You can buy a car for 10 grand, or get one free and race it.

Yes, anyone can make fake craigslist adverts. But it is an honor thing. Thats why the guys in Rx7s, camaros, 944s (sorry guys) and BMWs get heat for their 'AIV'. Can you buy a running BMW 5series for $500?, well, maybe if it was a flood car with hail damage and an interior fire, and if it ran, yes.

That is not really the point, though. Get a cheap car, learn about the safety gear and try to keep it running for 24 hours. Don't worry about the AIV, don't bother with a theme. Ignore whatever penalty laps you earn, and go run. Be safe, watch out for other cars and you will have a blast. If you finish, look at how you can improve speed/durability/AIV next time. Rookies have no reason to even think about winning.

Last edited by 944Fest (aka Dan P); 02-14-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Any chump car members here?