Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 944 project /side skirt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Dawgz83948
As have I. Your funeral.

WTF does that mean?

Seriously. Have you swapped in a motor in a chassis it was never designed for? It creates 100x more work and more potential problems then you will have with a properly built factory motor.

I'm not against engine swaps, I've put several non OEM motors in various chassis. Even when done right you end up with issues and custom one off type parts and wiring. Make it much harder to just roll into a shop and have someone fix it if need be.

The 951 plant is fine at that power level. 95% of the problem people have with them is related to two factors. First, they take an old, improperly maintained motor and start modifying before they catch it up on old hoses, injectors, etc.

Second, they start adding boost with no regaurd to the rest of the system.

Rarely do you hear about issues with the 951 that are not related to just old parts or some guy that was just cranking up boost!

You simply see more built Audis because there are a bazillion more of them and they were cheaper to buy initially.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Dawgz83948
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole

WTF does that mean?

Seriously. Have you swapped in a motor in a chassis it was never designed for? It creates 100x more work and more potential problems then you will have with a properly built factory motor.

I'm not against engine swaps, I've put several non OEM motors in various chassis. Even when done right you end up with issues and custom one off type parts and wiring. Make it much harder to just roll into a shop and have someone fix it if need be.

The 951 plant is fine at that power level. 95% of the problem people have with them is related to two factors. First, they take an old, improperly maintained motor and start modifying before they catch it up on old hoses, injectors, etc.

Second, they start adding boost with no regaurd to the rest of the system.

Rarely do you hear about issues with the 951 that are not related to just old parts or some guy that was just cranking up boost!

You simply see more built Audis because there are a bazillion more of them and they were cheaper to buy initially.
Yes I have..... However, I have seen 400hp turbo motors let go when used as they were intended. Not just the idiot shadetree mechanic, but people that went through the outter parts (turbo, injectors, fuel pump, etc) The Audi, however, is stronger in stock form.

Anyway, if the solution is to rebuild the motor to make it ready for 400hp, then it's true, it really doesn't matter: Audi or Porsche.

Quick Reply: My 944 project /side skirt?