Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Horns? What devilry is this!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
You have no idea what you're messing with. A REAL train horn weighs about 30 pounds and requires over 100 psi to operate. We hooked one up at a previous job I had in the shop. It was so freakin loud, the whole company heard it, and they were in a separate building. It was awesome!
You forgot to mention that they're HUGE - 5 separate horns. I prefer Grover 1600's although there's not a really good place on a 944/968 to mount them. They were a great addition to my Lincoln - I just added the setup to the existing air compressor.

http://www.airhorns.com/products.asp...item=1600_dual

Bottom line, you can't be too loud when someone is zoning-out and just about to hit your car....

Regards-

'94 968 - Aventurine Green
'86 944 NA - Alpine White, parting out (slow death)
'86 951 - Alpine White (sold)

'98 Lincoln Town Car (Executive if you're curious)
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Probably a surprise to everyone here, but up-armored HUMVEES - a 5-ton vehicle with a Browning .50 mounted on top - has a little 'meep-meep' horn. When I was in Iraq, my driver was concerned about clearing the locals as we were roaring into traffic circles at speeds in the 40-60 mph range. Someone told him, "Hit the horn, they'll move." So, we'd be hammering through Baghdad with a convoy behind us and him pressing the horn with his thumb, "Meep-meep. Meep-meep. Meep-meep."

They moved!
lmao! that's classic!

I was just about to leave a carpark which had a 1 way way lane, i was watching this lady drive through with her little car it the right way. Along comes this 4x4 toyota Hilux what was over 1 meter high with these massive tyres and a huge straight pipe exhaust trying to get through the 1 way lane the Wrong way. he starts heading towards it and the lady stops. He goes right upto her car and instead of using his horn he just revved the hell out of the engine and she just moved to the noise it made.
poor girl. i almost dies in laughter though.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Butters944
Lets start a "what does your horn sound like" thread haha so we can compare
Mine sounds like the late, great Marcel Marceau and damned if I know why...

Quick Reply: Two Horns? What devilry is this!