Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for the track! Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012 | 04:45 PM
teamking
Pro

In both of my last two visits to VIR, I drove my 944 Turbo back to back with my friend's Cayman S.

My 944 Turbo has a LEDA suspension, metal bushings, 500/600 lb springs and very aggressive alignment. The Cayman was stock suspension. We were on the same brand/model tires.

I found there was a night and day difference. As you would imagine, the track-setup 944 was much harsher to drive. The Cayman, however, was more confidence inspiring-- totally unflappable.

I think you'll find the stock 944 is a lot of fun and it is very forgiving. I've always found it very willing to hang the tail out for as long as you want, whereas my S2000 gives you about 1/10th of a second and if you haven't corrected... SNAP!

But the Cayman is truly a great car and seems to benefit from 20 years of progress when compared to the 944.

I think you'll find it won't be long before you are wishing for a slightly stiffer suspension, but I agree with the others that you should focus first on your driving and second on the car.
Old 01-31-2012 | 05:30 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with the "hang the tail out" comment that teamking made!

I had an interesting experience at Thunderbolt raceway about 2 years ago in my s2. Was in the yellow run group but they had combined with green. Car infront of me was a 911...with a very new-to-track driver and the track was wet.

This was day 2 of a 3 day event...in the morning....and coming around a left hand turn, the 911 driver lost control and spun. The 911 was a car length infront of me and instinct took over. I braked in the corner (not a good instinct on the track!) and broke the back end of my car loose. Some opposite lock and gas put the car right back on-line and I flew right around the now stopped 911 with my instructor clenching hard !

Once we passed the 911 my instructor screamed "YEAH!!!!....GREAT DRIVING !!!!"

If I were in another car I am not sure how it would have ended.

Moral of the story is that the 944 has very neutral handling and is very forgiving on the track.
Old 01-31-2012 | 06:14 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

I'd have to agree with the comments about the brakes. I doubt you would last the weekend on stock pads, maybe not even a day. They just won't handle the abuse at the track, especially if you're one of the faster drivers in blue. Don't ruin your weekend. Just get some Hawks. Everything else should be fine for the first time, but I bet you will have some modifications in mind at the end of the weekend.

I went to the Zone 2 event about three years ago and it rained every day. I need to go back and learn what the track is like in the dry. The S2 will be great, you will just have to learn what momentum is all about. It's an awesome track!
Old 01-31-2012 | 06:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

stock brakes for track use ? lol.

XSChop's giant Wilwood package wins the biggest bang for the buck race — hands down.
Old 01-31-2012 | 07:10 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

You don't need brakes on track in a 944
Old 01-31-2012 | 09:14 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

i've heard a lot that 944's are great to learn how to track, but if you're worried about cost go with a miata.

and stoogemoe: if you're living over the edge are you dead or insane?

yup i just said living over the edge, thats like waking up dead
Old 01-31-2012 | 09:41 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Have fun! Stock brakes should be fine for your first few days on the track in the car - just don't try to out brake a GT3RS or anything like that haha
Old 01-31-2012 | 09:46 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

How about oil. It's cheap and its blood to the engine. New oil before the track and trash it after.
Old 01-31-2012 | 11:15 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

All good advice folks, thanks! I may well be proven wrong, but I'm going to go with stock pads - and a backup set - and see how things go. I've never been one to burn up brakes on track, and it's been my experience the VIR Full Course isn't so bad on pads as you generally have plenty of cooling time between brake zones.

I will have fresh oil and keep an eye on it, the coolant levels, etc. Oh, one other question while I'm at it - what sort of (street) tire pressures do folks use?

As for running VIR, I've been a fair number of times and Turn 10, now THAT has me worried! . It was never an issue in the CS, but as someone noted earlier, it is unflappable. We'll see if I am!
Old 02-01-2012 | 07:11 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drive my car to/from the track and have yet to be unable to get home on my street pads. I have gone thru a set in a 3 day event though so definitely bring spares and check often.

have fun and let us all know how it went!
Old 02-01-2012 | 10:33 AM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
As for running VIR, I've been a fair number of times and Turn 10, now THAT has me worried! . It was never an issue in the CS, but as someone noted earlier, it is unflappable. We'll see if I am!
Turn 10: just remember (and think through) what to do if you go off there-- stay to the right and don't try to bring it back on track immediately (that's how you get into trouble).

Take it at a speed you're comfortable with and just try to be consistent. Work on some of the more important corners and then get back to it when you feel up to it.

The important thing is to program your mind as to what you would do if you did go off there so that you don't panic if you ever get in that situation.
Old 02-01-2012 | 02:36 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teamking
Turn 10: just remember (and think through) what to do if you go off there-- stay to the right and don't try to bring it back on track immediately (that's how you get into trouble).

Take it at a speed you're comfortable with and just try to be consistent. Work on some of the more important corners and then get back to it when you feel up to it.

The important thing is to program your mind as to what you would do if you did go off there so that you don't panic if you ever get in that situation.
Apparently I don't have a lot in the way of natural driving skills, but I've put two wheels off a couple of times and it appears the one instinct I do have is to keep the wheels straight and not try to get right back on. Hopefully that stands true if it comes up again!

I do like to try to figure out my "outs" at each point on track, and think it's a good plan to do.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Ready for the track! Any advice?