Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 clutch bleed question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts
Default 944S2 clutch bleed question

Hello all! This will be my first post to this board, as my "new" '90 944S2 and I are a few months new to the 944 world. At any rate, I took on flushing the brake fluid as the first do-it-yourself task this weekend and have to say I had mixed results.

Flushing the brakes is easy enough, using a Motive bleeder and ATE Gold fluid. The old fluid looked to be in decent shape, but did have some junk in it and overall I'm happy with the result. I will say the brake pedal is not quite as firm as it was before the flush. (The pedal was extremely firm before - is this common for the 944? - so I may try to bleed things again this weekend).

That said, I figured I'd also try bleeding the clutch while I was at it. This is where the less than ideal situation occurred. The bleed valve on the slave cylinder was quite rusty, so I gave it a shot of PB Blaster and let it sit a while. Then, I got a wrench on it and gave it a little pressure. The bleed valve promptly snapped clean off! Doh!

The good news, I guess, is there is no fluid leaking from the valve as it was fully closed and to date the clutch has been working fine.

Does anyone see any potential danger in not replacing the slave cylinder until necessary, or is it something I should get right on? I've checked for leaks the past several days and see none.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 01-10-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
944meister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome to the s2 group! yes the brake pedal on these cars are very responsive and firm, it took me a while to adjust to heel toeing in my s2 because of this. sounds like you may have a few small air bubbles still, i use a one-way valve with clear nylon hose on the bleed nipple when i do my brakes and it works great. as far as the slave cylinder goes, if you dont feel comfortable with the broken valve, just replace it, you dont want to get stuck somewhere with an unusable clutch pedal. while your at it, replace both clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and the rubber line between them. replacing just one could cause the other worn part to fail, they are all listed here http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...Tclutc_pg2.htm
Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 944meister
welcome to the s2 group! yes the brake pedal on these cars are very responsive and firm, it took me a while to adjust to heel toeing in my s2 because of this.

as far as the slave cylinder goes, if you dont feel comfortable with the broken valve, just replace it, you dont want to get stuck somewhere with an unusable clutch pedal. while your at it, replace both clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and the rubber line between them.
Thanks for the welcome!

Funny, I was finding heel and toe easier on the 944 (than my Cayman) because the pedal was giving me a firmer platform to rotate my foot. I'm sure it's all what you're used to! Nonetheless, I'll be bleeding the lines again.

Thank you for the advice, too. Replacement will be the way I go.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 PM
88Silver924S
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My experience with the hydralic clutch was a lot of black sediment in the cluch bleeding which I believe came from internal degredation of the short low-pressure hose that connects the resevoir to the clutch master cylinder. If you change that hose be sure to use hose rated for brake fluid not fuel or oil or etc. Also the plastic nipple that attatches this hose to the clutch master broke off on mine therefore next time I replace that hose I will carefully cut it off if it doesn't pull off easily. As for your bleed screw you can just replace the screw but if it is that rusty it may indicate a slave that is too old to be trustworthy. I believe I have seen rebuild kits for the slave in the past if you want to hone it out and reuse it, that's your call. Any idea of the past history of the slave/master/hoses? Have fun and good luck.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
944meister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running clear nylon hose that i got at the hardware store from the fluid reservoir to the clutch master cylinder, this way I can tell if there are any bubbles and that the fluid is getting to clutch master cylinder. It is brake fluid resistant.

Quick Reply: 944S2 clutch bleed question