Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1994 968 Blk/Blk, Low Miles, $9K

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011 | 10:59 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default FS: 1994 968 Blk/Blk, Low Miles, $9K

I have a 968 that I need to move from the garage to make room for my wife’s new car. My wife says that I shouldn't have two sports cars. This 968 is a VERY solid and reliable car. The car is in Idaho. I will not sell a car to anyone who does not personally look it over nor will I ship it or take wired money in payment. The buyer would have to drive it home or arrange for his or her own shipping. I’ve heard too many horror stories about shippers and I’d hate to have this car dinged. The mechanics are 9 out of 10. Electronics 9 out of 10. Body 8 out of 10 (has some small dings but no rust, no dents, no repaint, original paint). The paint is 6 out of 10 (a previous owner got overzealous with a buffer and buffed into the primer at a few spots. Also some acid rain discoloration is on the hood and some small paint chips from gravel. It has a practically new B&B muffler (I still have the stock muffler if you'd like it). AC blows cold, lots of torque, etc., etc. $9,000. I have twice this amount or more in this babied car. I never drove it in cold weather as I avoid salt.

"Why am I selling?" Not long ago, I had 4 sportscars. Two 928 Porsches, this 968, and an Audi TT turbo. After I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had the operation followed by two months of radiation therapy, I decided that 4 fun cars are more than I need. I sold the '85S Porsche and the Audi TT. That leaves the 968 and the S4-928. One or the other is for sale. In my description below, I'll point out the warts. There aren't many.

This 968 shows no signs of rust or abuse to the undercarrige. Interior is great, no rips or tears and wear is minimal. Black exterior/black leather interior. I’ll add pics that will give you a better idea than what I say.

Porsche 968, 4-Cylinder, 1994
73,360 miles
VIN Number: WP0AA2962RS820148
16" Wheels, new tires

This is what I copied from the sticker in the trunk. I've not figured all of
the option codes out yet. It does NOT have LSD (limited slip differential).

Type 968 110
Eng/Trans L741 LT
CO2 XD4 331
437 454
650 718
It's ready to drive anywhere. This was a car I planned to never sell and I wanted to get it "right." I replaced all rollers, the cam belt, belt tensioner, water pump, etc. and had even planned on replacing the cam chain and tensioner pads but they showed hardly any wear and looked practically new, so I just put the cam cover back on. I went through this car looking and fixing about everything I could find that needed it. It has a leak from the windshield wiper tank area and I've not pulled the wheel and inner fender cover to see if it was something simple (like a hose) or the tank but it holds a full tank of fluid and squirts the windshield like it's supposed to so it apparently is the overflow. Also, it has some small "mechanic elbow" very slight dents in the fender tops (very common to the 968). I didn't even recognize them until I stopped halfway between Atlanta and Idaho and the sun hit the fender top "just right". The 968 is a wonderful car and given the small numbers made, good condition 968s (I feel) will hold their value and probably go up in value....while the 928 values are not doing so well.

No water leaks and my garage floor doesn't show any oil leaks. Doesn't use any oil or smoke. No tears or rips. Seat bolsters are very good (I’ll add a pic). AM/FM/CD stereo (CDR-210 from Boxster with removeable faceplate), PS, ABS, cruise control. New coil, coil wire, and related distributor parts. This car has been babied and everything works except the rear window defroster, only two wires heat up.

It has the original manuals, tools, and spare tire. Original tire pump missing. Everything works properly. Including the moon roof, windows, locks, mirrors, seats, temp gauge, clock, gauges, and CD player. The A/C runs cold. I've never driven it in winters when salt is on the road. All the new parts are Porsche parts. . .not aftermarket. It has a new cambelt and balance belt, new belt tensioner, new Porsche water pump, all new rollers, new main crank seal (it leaked a little when I got it but not since the new seal). B&B great-sounding muffler. The original muffler and pipe barely fit inside the car if you want to drive it home with you. The original muffler setup is in great shape but too quiet for my tastes). New fuel pump and fuel filter, gas hose, various other new hoses, vinyl headlight/driving light protectors, etc. I wanted it to be totally reliable and really haven't had a desire to sell it. I replaced a lot of items that really didn't need it but I like my cars to be reliable. This is a really solid car. The only thing that I think could be better is the paint. It's beautiful but does have a few "detailing burns" on sharp edges from a power polisher and some acid rain spots on the hood and some paint chips from road gravel.
I can't get the small dents to show up in fotos now matter how hard I try (another reason why you need to see it yourself). Two or three small door dings. A few really small paint chips. Dentless paint removal should take the dents out if desired. I installed a set of factory side strips that cover the small door dings. Everything works, alarm, lights, buzzers, etc. Handles great. Great interior. Excellent body. No rust. Factory alarm. All dash lights and instruments work. No dash cracks, Has intake box modification for better breathing. Better intake box tie downs. Custom chipped with RacerX chip.

Offhand, I can't think of anything else. . .oh yes. Someone asked about brakes, clutch, transaxle. All fine, solid. No cracks in the glass. No wreck or undercarriage damage. None of these items have issues and have not been rebuilt since I have had the car. The PPI said they were fine and I've just been driving the car. The 6-speed shifts smoothly, never overheats. I'm running out of things to say. You gotta see it and hear it and experience the drive.

$9000 FIRM. Not a penny less although I might consider partial trade for some expensive small items that can fit in a closet. Somehow I must free up some garage space.

I bought the car in 2005 from a dealer in Atlanta, GA. Even though it had a mechanic’s print-out showing that it had had a new timing and balance shaft belts, new rollers, and oil/filter change and checkup at 50,295 miles in 2002….I like to replace these items regularly so, in 2005, shortly after driving it home, I replaced the water pump and put new belts, tensioner and a bunch of other parts on it so I’d have peace-of-mind driving it anywhere. At the end of this note, I’m listing new parts I bought and installed at that time. I have receipts for all these and other parts. Nothing major was ever wrong with this car so no major mechanic work has been needed. The engine is stock, never rebuilt.

BTW, the rear end is QUIET and no sign of it having any issues there.
The car was sold new in PA, was purchased by a woman in 1993 (I have that and some other paperwork). According to the CarFax that I received, it appears to have been sold again at 13,945 miles to a Bentley Dealership, the owner moved and it was serviced again in a different town at 55,573 miles, serviced again at 57,829 miles, then again at 63,776 miles then sold by a Pennsylvania dealer at auction to a dealer in GA at 66,268 miles. The dealer drove it for a year then sold it to me at about 67,000 miles. In between Porsche dealerships, it obviously was serviced by a non-Porsche shop.

I bought it, flew to Atlanta and drove it 3,000 miles to north Idaho (long scenic route) and proceeded to make it near perfect replacing basic wear parts that could go wrong on a long trip whether it needed it or not. If you’ve visited many Porsche dealerships, some don’t cater to front-engined P-cars so I’m not surprised by its sale at auction. I was really skeptical because of this so I had a really good pre-purchase inspection done on it by the very competent Ryland’s in Marietta, GA before I went to pick it up. Rylands had a hard time finding anything wrong with it so they exaggerated a few little things that allowed me to dicker the price down (They have to earn their money). For example, it had worn tires on it so the PPI report suggested that it “may” need a realignment. I put new tires on it shortly afterwards and had it checked out and it was fine. The seller in Atlanta was PO’ed that Rylands would find anything wrong with it so he had Performance Imports of Doraville, VA do an additional seller PPI and this is what the report dated 03/02/05 says:

Drives Well
Suspension feels good
Engine and trans strong
No sign of crash damage
Brakes OK
All fluid levels OK
Interior very clean
No electrical problems
Check for fault with system tester 2, no faults found

Frankly, Rylands did a much better PPI and I was doubly happy that the seller’s PPI essentially validated the one I’d received. Long story short, I bought a great 968, it’s never been wrecked, it’s been well cared for, it’s well sorted, and it’s solid all around.

I’d invite someone who has access to CarFax to run another check on it. Also, any potential buyer is encouraged to have their own PPI run on this car.

Below is a PARTIAL list of parts I put on new…just because I’m **** about my cars. I have this and receipts for other stuff. My goal was total reliability and long term ownership. BTW, I’ve replaced these same parts on both of the 928s I’ve purchased, shortly after obtaining them…whether they needed it or not.

Balance shaft belt (polyrib) 944 102 219 04 $81.71
Camshaft drive timing belt 944 105 232 02 $74.14
Balance shaft tensioner Roller 944 102 025 07 $16.05
Balance Tension Roller 944-102-277-06 $19.62
Intermediate shaft O-ring 999 701 652 40 Two @ $1.97 ea
Timing belt roller 944 105 631 10 $57.21
Timing belt tensioner 944 105 172 03 $83.98
Camshaft belt tensioner roller 944 105 241 02 $27.98
Camshaft belt roller 944-105-241-04 (new number) $27.98
Crank 0 ring 999-707-283-40 $1.91
Thermostat w/gasket 944-106-019-00 $5.10
Thermostat Thin gasket also needed 944-106-929-05 $1.07
Thermostat snap ring (Circlip) 900 042 025 01 $1.10
Thermostat O-Ring 951 106 155 00 $5.10
Cam chain 944-105-501-05 $22.52
Woodruff key for crank shaft 900-117-036-00 .51
Bolt hex head 900-075-043-02 (M10x30) Two @ .51 ea
Bolt hex head N 010 445 2 (M10x45) .60
Locking nut 900 910 034 02 (M 10) $1.66
Washers N-011-527-12 (A 10, 5) Two @ .13 ea
Water Heater control valve 928-574-573-03 $46.42
Valve/Cam Cover rubber grommets for bolts Thirteen @ .93 each
999 707 283 40 O-ring $1.91
999 707 875 40 O-ring $1.12
999 707 078 40 O-ring $1.12
Porsche Remanufactured Waterpump Kit w/thermostat and bolts $174.87
928 106-921 XX Waterpump gasket $16.67

More pics can be sent if interested.

H2
Attached Images               
Old 12-22-2011 | 11:20 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default more pics

more pictures available on request...however, because of the size of the files of the dozens of close up shots, I'll need you to PM me an email address that I can send the other photos to. They just won't upload here.

Thanks,

H2
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2011 | 11:50 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

did you sell your encyclopedia's? cause evidentally your wife knows everything, including that having 2 sports cars is not good. bs.

nice car though, glws
Old 12-23-2011 | 10:27 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

That's a great car, and will make someone (or you) happy for a long time. Best of luck in your recovery.
Old 12-23-2011 | 10:41 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Originally Posted by H2
My wife says that I shouldn't have two sports cars.
this is why i have bin with my girl for 8 year but still not married.

good luck on the sale looks like a great car
Old 12-23-2011 | 10:54 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

this is a joke right ? for the sake of humanity, please don't do this.
Old 12-23-2011 | 01:20 PM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

That is a LOT of car for the money. I can't imagine it lasting long at that price; although, this isn't the best time of the year to be selling a sports car. H2, good luck with the sale, but I hope you don't end up regretting selling it.
Old 12-23-2011 | 01:56 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EspritS4s
That is a LOT of car for the money. I can't imagine it lasting long at that price; although, this isn't the best time of the year to be selling a sports car. H2, good luck with the sale, but I hope you don't end up regretting selling it.
Unfortunately, I regret selling most of the stuff I've sold over the years, especially cars. I don't, however, regret getting into quality Porsches. BTW, when we were debating which cars to sell, my wife said, "Sell the Audi TT, not the 968!" She still would like me to sell the 928 rather than the 968 but the 928 has some minor (unrecognizable) wreck damage, is a repaint, and needs a new Hall sensor. I can't sell a car like that. However, if someone want's a beautiful Polar Silver 928...I'd sell it instead and keep the 968. It's a great driver and only has 40K plus miles on it. But it probably needs a new Hall sensor or it has a loose wire or vacuum hose. After installation of an $800 water pump and new belts, it doesnt' seem to have the same HP so I think it's probably a self-induced problem as a side-result of those installs, my imagination, or the new Tbelt needs to break in. However, the 968 is more boring in that it NEVER gives problems. But it's a great, great car. Sticks to the road like it has magnets holding it down. The Audi Turbo always felt like it was going to roll over. Not so with Porsche engineering. I would advise against buying an Audi TT. Too much plastic...it's really more of a Volkswagon.

Quick Reply: FS: 1994 968 Blk/Blk, Low Miles, $9K