Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some electrical/gauges help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 01:39 AM
God_Bot
Instructor

Default Need some electrical/gauges help

I was driving the 944 the other day for the first time in several months. It had been sitting at my mom's house because I didn't have room for it. Anyway with only 8 miles left in my 250 mile drive I noticed my gauges all froze in place, none of them were moving and none reset to zero. Just as I start to wonder I start to smell hot wires, like an electrical fire is about to start. This caused me to pull over right away. Tried tracking the smell down but it went away shortly after shutting off the car. I waited a few minutes and started it back up, turned on the A/C (it was only 30F anyway) and waited to see if it came back. Noticed that my gauges all reset and everything but the speedometer and odometer seemed to be working normally.

Any ideas as to what happened or where to start? I have an '87 N/A so I know it's electric and figure the cluster is where I'll start when I get the chance. I was paranoid of my fuel lines the whole trip, already have new ones ordered, and thought it slightly ironic when I smelt hot wires.

Quick Reply: Need some electrical/gauges help