Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No defrost, lower heat. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:40 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No defrost, lower heat. Any ideas?

Blend door works okay. All of teh buttons work. But when I try the sliders to get teh floor vents or defrost vents working, nothing happens. I have now tried 3 control units (two from 951's), same thing on all of them. Vaccum problems usually get the blend door, don't they? Why won't the floor or defrost vents open, any ideas?

Is there something I am missing here? FWIW, this is on a 968. Track car has no semblence of any of that stuff left, and the 89 is too torn apart to test.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM
drwhosc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

had the same problem, read a post about door motors not working. they operate the footwell doors, and they are stuck in the closed position. I was able to remove the rods from the plastic clips and get my heat back and where I wanted it. Not sure if that is what is going on, but track down those motors. Unfortunately I think the fix is big in that you weill have to remove the dash to get to the motor...

As far as I know the vacuum controls the heater valve in the engine compartment and the fresh air mix.

Look forward to what others have to say...
Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 AM
67King
Race Car

I can access the motors with the IP and vents out. Strange, though. There is nothing plugged into the defrost motor. I wonder if when the aftermarket stereo was put in if it somehow got pulled out. I don't see any loose wires down there, but I did not see the omission during the daylight. Maybe I"ll look again tomorrow. Thanks for teh reply!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 AM
River
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're clips could be broken. I just had my dash apart and got a good look at what people were talking about in this issue. Literally, a couple plastic bits hold metal parts that move that thing up and down and around.

It's 3rd pic and #4 in this link:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm

See how 4 and 5 connect? Plastic bits. They crack, they break. It sucks. Be glad it's not the ones deep inside and you get NO heat, lol!

Yeah, I did ponder about changing those clips "while I was in there", but everything seemed solid. I swear, some p.o. in this cars past had someone that did stuff to it...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by River
You're clips could be broken. I just had my dash apart and got a good look at what people were talking about in this issue. Literally, a couple plastic bits hold metal parts that move that thing up and down and around.

It's 3rd pic and #4 in this link:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm

See how 4 and 5 connect? Plastic bits. They crack, they break. It sucks. Be glad it's not the ones deep inside and you get NO heat, lol!

Yeah, I did ponder about changing those clips "while I was in there", but everything seemed solid. I swear, some p.o. in this cars past had someone that did stuff to it...
The clips are all in good shape. I've got a bag of them. Just bought several once because they are so prone to breaking. Kind of like sunroof gears. My prior experiences with those are that the blend door is the one most prone to failure.

The one motor that isn't plugged in is, I hope, the problem. Very strange, it looks almost like they "forgot" to do it at the factory. It is wedged down in between all kinds of stuff. Was probably done at some point when the stereo was replaced, and the installer just shoved it out of the way not realizing it was something that mattered. I have taken out the vents, IP, console, and stereo. Next up is that big metal bracket that holds the front of the console. Once I get that, I will hopefully be able to undo it.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 AM
River
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's fun stuff. lol!

I had the same thought about factory things. I think a p.o. had a hand in it, or a frustrated stereo installer missed it, disconnected and forgot to connect.

+1 on the sunroof gears, lol!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 PM
drwhosc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

well please keep me posted, adn if you can, snap a few pics. there are not good views of these units in place. I would love to know that I can do something without having to remove the whole dash
Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 AM
67King
Race Car

Floor vent motor is pretty easy to reach under the dash. I will end up having to remove mine, the gears inside of it are apparently stripped - you can hear the motor spinning constantly, but the lever does not move.

Defrost vent is tougher to see, but if you remove the dash vents and IP, you can access it pretty easily. This was the one on mine that was unplugged. Plugged it in, and all is well.

Quick Reply: No defrost, lower heat. Any ideas?