Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong Engine Ground causing Electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
ZW 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong Engine Ground causing Electrical problems?

So, My car (an 86 turbo) has a history of electrical problems in terms of dying on me, or charge draining and stuff.

It used to be that it would sometimes lose all charge from the battery after parking the car, so, it would need to be jump started. after being jump started, if the cables were taken off too quickly, sometimes the car would die.

The whole problem is very intermittant, whatever it is, it can go for weeks without popping up, then, all of a sudden, it'll go a week with persistant problems.

I put in a new battery (from my other 944) and the problems stopped (even though the original battery was less than a year old, and was tested good at autozone.

Just today, it did something its never done before... I started it up, (just fine) then I drove it about 1 block and it lost power & died as I came to a stop at the traffic light.

So, it might be the alternator, but its came to my attention that the engine ground for my car isn't connected in the right spot. when the car runs, it runs strong.

Right now the engine ground is bolted to the metal bracket attached to the camshaft housing that is supposed to be used to lift the engine. I don't know why, but its always been like that. I'm just hoping that the real ground spot isn't stripped or something.

So basically, could that be the cause of my problems?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 PM
nasty9er
Racer

my 924s has a battery drain problem as well and i noticed that my 83 944 parts car has a ground where the 924 does not. its the cable that you are speaking about so maybe the placement or lack of is whats making them acted up. just a thought

also if you want to check your alternator start the car and put a volt meter on the battery. it should read 14v when the car is running.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of an incorrect ground causing a problem like the one you're having. A bad ground could definitely cause it, but as long as it is well grounded it should work fine.

My suspicion is that a bad battery connection or a bad battery has damaged either your voltage regulator or alternator. If the voltage regulator fails and sends out below about 11Amps and your battery is flat, the car will lose spark and cut out.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

since that plate is bolted to a housing that is separated from the block by a cork gasket, i would say yes put it in a better spot- like the factory one by the ref sensors.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:06 AM
ZW 944
Racer

Originally Posted by xsboost90
since that plate is bolted to a housing that is separated from the block by a cork gasket, i would say yes put it in a better spot- like the factory one by the ref sensors.

Exactly my thoughts.

Im going to put it where its supposed to go tomorrow. crossing my fingers that the hole hasnt been stripped out by the PO...

Im also hoping that it will solve some of my weird electrical issues...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:28 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Clean all the connection points. Use some 200 grit sandpaper or similar on all the mating surfaces. If you are going through this effort, I suggest replacing the ground wire and connectors unless they are already new. Clean the battery terminals as well.

Let us know what happens.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:01 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ZW 944
Exactly my thoughts.

Im going to put it where its supposed to go tomorrow. crossing my fingers that the hole hasnt been stripped out by the PO...

Im also hoping that it will solve some of my weird electrical issues...
If the hole has been stripped, I recommend tapping it one size larger and inserting a stud.. having a stud there makes connecting the ground MUCH easier!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ZW 944
Exactly my thoughts. Im going to put it where its supposed to go tomorrow. crossing my fingers that the hole hasnt been stripped out by the PO... Im also hoping that it will solve some of my weird electrical issues...
What ever you do when working in that area make sure the inspection hole on top of the bell housing is cover.Because if you drop something in there (bolts/nut/small tool ect ect) you'll wishe you were never born.GL sorting out your problem.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my original grounds are clean, in place, and the cables new. But, having had starter issues in the past I added a ground to the cam cover where the fuel rail bolts and ran the other end directly to the negative battery terminal.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:13 AM
ZW 944
Racer

So heres the story,

I placed the ground wire where its supposed to go, and cleaned EVERYTHING. (the hole wasn't stripped)

Got my friend to help out, and we jumped the car.

With the batteries connected, and the car on, the interior lights were noticibly brighter than they've ever been, and the volt meter read 14.5 (it reads high) I started the car, and it started right up no problems. then, while letting it idle (with the other car still connected) it started to hesitate. If it gave it some gas, it would get better, but I let off the gas, and it slowed down and died. When I tried to restart it, it was completely dead - volt gage read no power. Even though it was connected to the other person's car!

My Hypothesis:

I think that putting the ground where its supposed to go at least didn't hurt anything, but I think the root of the problems is the alternator. I think the reason that the car died is because the jumper cables I was using were very cheaply made, and very low gauge wire. I think the connection was broken between the two cars sometime when it was idling, and then the car couldn't get enough power from the alternator to power the car - leading to the engine stopping.

Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pull the alternator- take it to parts store and have it tested. They can charge your battery and test it there usually as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 AM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you have two 944's Try swapping alternators...
Old 12-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hi 944hal, Placing a ground wire between the fuel rail and cam housing can be a hazard to yourself and the car. IIRC, Your two main ground wires from the battery are to be connected to the bell housing and frame at firewall, of course I could be wrong. At my age "CRS" sets in more frequently than I care to admit.

Cheers,
Larry

Quick Reply: Wrong Engine Ground causing Electrical problems?