Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about these window track/guide nuts and bolts... non adjustable? Lots of play

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011 | 11:32 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Default Tell me about these window track/guide nuts and bolts... non adjustable? Lots of play

My driver's window decided to come out of its x-brace tracks yesterday, resulting in a window that rolled up completely crooked. Motor is fine, have torn into the door already a couple times before and actually adjusted that x-brace track last month because it was lose (just adjusted again, I think more correctly/horizontally, window now fixed for now). But the nut/bolt assy. that slides through these appears to be some odd square-drive unit that can't be adjusted. The nut looks like it might, but there's no way to adjust- the other end is inside the track and one of those domed-over washer type heads so no way to get a wrench on that end to provide counterpressure. The 3 of 4 nuts that I can see (4th closest to speaker, can't see) are still largely flush with the end of the bolt but have a ton of margin to the brace arm and appear like they could be tightened (aren't easily loosened either). The window coming down make a loud metallic *THUNK* as one of the x-brace arms jumps down the bolt, eases on the way up. Can these be tightened and how? What gives, literally? Nothing on Clark's, here that I could find easily, and I'm conveniently missing this chapter out of my workshop manual so I can't RTFM.
Old 11-27-2011 | 03:30 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

FWIW, they're the bolts on the ends of the cross-brace, #13, below. They're not even labeled in what appears to be the workshop manual! I can't find anything on these stupid things. I've got the window working, but with all its clunkiness, I'm worried about using it much until I can find a way to tighten them. My current thought is finding an IKEA-grade thin wrench to stick in there for counterpressure and see if I can tighten these up...

Old 11-27-2011 | 09:33 AM
Yarf
Racer

The bolts you are referring to are rollers, which should turn freely and are not adjustable. On my 1987 NA the clunk was caused by a worn out gear on the end of the X arm. I bought a used window regulator assembly which corrected the problem.
Old 12-01-2011 | 08:48 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Ok thanks, Keith.
Old 12-02-2011 | 02:25 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My windows clunked bad so I took the door panel off to take a look. What I found was all of the bolts that hold the regulator to the inner door panel were loose and the holes were worn out (larger). Also one of the motor/regulator ears is broken off completely so it's got one less bolt than stock. I was able to tighten everything up with new bolts and washers, and I added a bit of Loctite for good measure.
Old 12-08-2011 | 03:16 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
My windows clunked bad so I took the door panel off to take a look. What I found was all of the bolts that hold the regulator to the inner door panel were loose and the holes were worn out (larger). Also one of the motor/regulator ears is broken off completely so it's got one less bolt than stock. I was able to tighten everything up with new bolts and washers, and I added a bit of Loctite for good measure.
Hey Matt- so you disassembled the entire door and took the regulator assembly out? Where did you get replacement bolts? Loctite would be a great idea for these.
Old 12-09-2011 | 12:12 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No. In my car, the 4 bolts that hold the regulator assembly to the inner door panel were all loose and the holes were all stretched larger. I took the bolts out one-at-a-time and replaced them with new bolts and larger washers. My entire motor/regulator unit was clunking around so much before I fixed it, I thought the window was going to fall out every time I rolled it up and down. This little fix tightened it up nicely.
Old 12-26-2011 | 10:51 AM
portia888
Track Day

I have the same problem. Everything appears to be working fine except at the point where these "rollers" cause the window to move off track. I am wondering if there is a way to allow them to turn freely but not wobble. I am going to try to fuse the center or reattach. I will post later with results.
Old 12-27-2011 | 02:04 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Ok thanks- will look forward to that. Don't mess up!
Old 12-27-2011 | 05:20 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Is there maybe a plastic washer that goes inside there to tighten it up? Maybe it completely wore away.
Old 01-02-2012 | 03:51 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Hrmm, not to my knowledge. But something like that might work. It'd be even better if one radius were cut so they could slip in...

Quick Reply: Tell me about these window track/guide nuts and bolts... non adjustable? Lots of play