Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter foam surround replacement options...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Jason-85944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shifter foam surround replacement options...

I have a couple of thoughts that I wanted to get some feedback on.

#1 - buy a memory foam pillow and cut up and install around the boot similarly to the factory stuff. (I do not know how this stuff holds up to heat, but I can get more than enough material for $14)

#2 - Buy some R-30 insulation and jam it all around the torque tube and around shift lever area. (I know this will take the heat but won't offer same level of sound proofing. I can get more than enough material for $20)

#3 - Buy some spray Latex Foam and spray into heat resistent bags around the area and let it expand for an exact fit. (Not sure on cost or if I really like this idea anyway)

Thoughts or ideas?

Thank you, Jason
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this:

http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...42+clutch-9442
Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason-85944
I have a couple of thoughts that I wanted to get some feedback on.

#1 - buy a memory foam pillow and cut up and install around the boot similarly to the factory stuff. (I do not know how this stuff holds up to heat, but I can get more than enough material for $14)

#2 - Buy some R-30 insulation and jam it all around the torque tube and around shift lever area. (I know this will take the heat but won't offer same level of sound proofing. I can get more than enough material for $20)

#3 - Buy some spray Latex Foam and spray into heat resistent bags around the area and let it expand for an exact fit. (Not sure on cost or if I really like this idea anyway)

Thoughts or ideas?

Thank you, Jason
You might get by with one of those ideas as a temporary solution but what PeteL posted is what you need. Problem is you really need to remove the torque tube to fit that in without damaging it, but once its there no worries for another 20 years.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Jason-85944
Pro

I understand that the correct OEM replacement parts are the best, but there is no way I am dropping tranny again and rear susp and torque tube + paying $72 for the part.

I am looking for alternatives that "WILL" work.

Thank you for your opinions though. Do you care to comment on which idea of my 3 ideas you think would work best as an alternative?

Last edited by Jason-85944; 11-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the Great Stuff spray insulaton for other projects. It has too many tiny air bubles in it to be effective for sound insulation. Some kind of gel or liquid that will harden and form to the area would work better. Look on McMaster-Carr.com and see if anything will suit your needs.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, if you try any of your ideas, you will end up frustrated and/or disappointed. Have a big mess, and wish you did it right the first time.
The following users liked this post:
tempest411 (05-20-2021)
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Pete (though I'm not dropping my tube until absolutely necessary!

The foam in a can is nifty stuff, but not for ALL applications...

I shipped a cast metal "bank" to a friend years ago came up with a cunning plan to put the "bank" into two plastic bags, set it in the shipping box and spraying foam into the box as a packing aid!

Was a GREAT packing aid, but the foam ate through the two plastic bags, expanded into the workings of the cast iron "bank" and became a solid mass!

The stuff is like (it IS, actually) a foamy glue and I found it less annoying to simply buy another bank to send my friend.

You may be served by applying the wisdom I gleaned from my mistake BEFORE applying the same ill-conceived idea to the torque tube area.

Jim 1987 944S (The bank was a cast iron box with a dog, a barrel and a clown holding a hoop on it. One put a coin in the dog's mouth, pressed a lever, and the dog moved forward... jumped through the hoop held by the clown, and dropped the coin into the barrel (the coin then was ensconced in the base of the bank!)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Hate to rain on the parade, but the factory foam piece CAN be fitted without removing anything more than the shifter boot and shift lever! It takes a whopping 10 minutes if you take a break in the middle!

I have done it more than once!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

sometimes it is better to just bite the bullet. If you study the factory piece you will see that it is soft foam so great stuff wont work. it is also a dense foam, so the pillow you destroy wont offer the soundproofign the factroy part offered. Plus, you dont know how many times a foam pillow can be bent before it snaps. you do know the factory piece can be bent a lot before it goes.

the best analogy to the cost of the factory foam is a wedge seat bracket. sure the bracket is just a few pieces of metal welded together for $100. but try to cut the $5 worth of metal, then measure, then drill, then seld and you spend a half a day or more on soemthign that could have been deliverd to your door for $100.

In a nutshell, i think your three ideas will n ot work. if you want, stack up and glue carpet padding and cut that to size and see what you get. I say a big mess, but carpet padding is closer to the factory foam than the alternatives you posted.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Jason-85944
Pro

I did got to (un-named store of choice) and purchase a Memory Foam Pillow for $10.

I came home and stripped the pillow case and got out the scissors. I first cut two 16x2x4 inch pieces. I wedged them down along the sides of the torque tube with a putty knife. I started about 8-9" in front of the shift lever on each side and worked the pieces in. Next I cut one block of the foam about 8x8x4" and squished it down and positioned it in front of the shifter on top of the torque tube. Next I cut two pieces, one for each side of the shifter 4x8x1.5". I glued one piece to the side of the tunnel wall on the left and right of the shifter and butted the ends right up the the front piece. Finally I cut a 6x5x4" piece and placed it to the rear of the shifter. I trimmed out a piece down the middle of it so that the linkage did not bind up. Once complete I took black duck tape and placed it on top of each seam to join them together.

I took the car out for a 30 minute ride and I am pleased to say that the sound proofing and heat barrier this setup is providing is just as good as the factory piece. I took me a total of 30 minutes to install and cost $10. At the moment I do not see a reason to spend $75 and eight hours installing a new factory piece.
The following users liked this post:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (04-02-2022)
Old 11-19-2011, 12:58 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Hate to rain on the parade, but the factory foam piece CAN be fitted without removing anything more than the shifter boot and shift lever! It takes a whopping 10 minutes if you take a break in the middle!

John, you are saying you can get this piece through a six inch hole and laying correctly without damaging it? Please share your technique.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Jason-85944
Pro

Please do share the technique. A you tube video would be killer!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

This man must be a pro at sticking big things in small holes. He's done it more than once!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:37 AM
nasty9er
Racer

i always love a cheap fix idea. did you take a pic of it?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MAGK944
John, you are saying you can get this piece through a six inch hole and laying correctly without damaging it? Please share your technique.

That picture is a little deceiving... the foam piece is quite pliable and compressible.. not to mention it isn't a cube.. the bottom is cut out to fit over the torque tube, and has holes for the shift rod and shifter.

It takes a little bit of effort, but is MUCH easier to fit through the hole than removing the torque tube!

Great part to change if you have the torque tube out for other maintenance, but it CAN be swapped through the 6 inch hole in the top!

Originally Posted by s14kev
This man must be a pro at sticking big things in small holes. He's done it more than once!

I do have 3 kids... just sayin...

Quick Reply: shifter foam surround replacement options...