Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating the Turbo on a 951?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

My technical explanation of why the 951 turbo is where it is. One of my na's has the airbox removed and a k&n at the AFM. When you look at the engine bay there is now a HUGE empty area behind the alternator where the LH engine mount is. I think the Porsche engineers took one look and declared "Zis is ver ve vill put ze turbo"
Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
They went with the 2 valve turbo motor due to fitment and because it was available at the time. I already said that the sole reason the turbo is under the intake is due to packaging. Knowing now that the 968 was the last version of a 944 chassis, they probably did not want to invest in creating a turbo 16 valve for it. Not only that, but the 968 turbos were extremely limited (can you really even call it a production run?). R&D was nil with the 8 valve turbo swap compared to trying their hand at a 16 valve turbo plant, and it shows that Porsche did not want to invest that kind of money in a dieing platform.

Not really. The 968 Turbo was a homolgation special created for German ADAC racing series. In that series they wanted to race a 968. The rules at the time limited power/weight ratio so making big hp numbers would force them to add alot of weight. However torque numbers were not limited. So Porsche determined they coudl meet their target HP by using a 2V head on 3.0L block. This gave lots of torque, but due to less breathing not as much hp. However that was actually a good thing. So this engine was produced for raing and a few were make for street use so that the motor could be called a "production motor" The motor made less than 360hp even race trim.

So just like the original 944 NA motor it was designed to a power target and once achieve no further development was needed. The 911 motors have always been refined for ever increasing power levels as an extra 10-20 or more hp in 911 was always "good thing". Where as in 944 family once marketing derived power number was achieved no need to develop further.

As for the end of 944 family.... The main issue was the chassis was just old in early 90's. It was a 70's design that despite a number of refinements over the years needed a major refresh by 92. The 968 was mid life rework and the best that could be done a limited budget. Unfortunalty it became clear that despite the good things about 944 family it never captured the market appeal the why the 911 did. Same for the 928 which while a great car never could supplant the 911. So Porsche choose to phase out both the 928 and 944 family and concentrate on the next 911 as even that chassis was getting old too.

So in the 90's we saw the 968 as the entry level stop gap. Fresh enough to generat interest until the replacment came out. The 928 was given a bigger motor and make to last a few more years and the updates in the 964 we follow with new sheet metal to create the 993. All were ment to last long enough for Porsche to bring out the new cars. The 996 and boxster. Now the entry level car was special since it had mid mounted flat 6. Plust this allow alot of commonality between the 911 and boxster. So rather than 3 seperate platforms you had one basic platform with 2 variations. The hope was the boxster would share enoiugh of the 911 bits to accepted as the entry level car.

Best I can tell it worked and get this... The boxster was even cheaper than the 968 as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
Rotate the engine 10-15 degrees clockwise and not only will there be more room for a bigger turbo, but the fuel rail won't be right over the exhaust.
Then the engine wont fit under the hood...
Old 11-10-2011, 12:19 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Then the engine wont fit under the hood...
My n/a motor sat so the cam housing was almost perpendicular to the ground for a minute or two when I was installing it into the car. It looked pretty sweet, actually being able to see the exhaust, but that would never fit haha
Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

No R&D was necessary for turbocharged 16v 2.5liter because it actually was designed earlier than regular 8V turbo engine. Remember 924 GTP which had 2.5liter 16v turbo engine running 1bar and had 420 hp? It was the car that spent less time in pits of any car on 1981 (iirc) Le Mans 24h race and finished 7th overall.

On the topic, I turbocharged my 924 euro 2.0 and fabricated a crossover pipe to mount the turbo to the area where CIS stuff was earlier (converted the car to efi). It doesn't feel any worse but I don't know how the same turbo would spool on the right side. Boost treshold would be exactly the same, but maybe the lag (time between pushing the throttle and building boost) would be a bit less but its instant even now. People often confuse lag with boost treshold, dunno why.

But for my 2.5 16v turbo engine I will put the turbo to drivers side because of several reasons: 1. turbo is big (Holset HE341VE) and it is easier to find a place for it (actually the only place for this guy), 2. Since it is a VT turbo, split pulse doesn't apply, it doesn't have split pulse turbine housing but I plan to hold the 1&4 and 2&3 pulses separated by dual crossover pipe and join them right before turbo. This alone would compensate for transient response well enough or even improve compared to passenger side location.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
My n/a motor sat so the cam housing was almost perpendicular to the ground for a minute or two when I was installing it into the car. It looked pretty sweet, actually being able to see the exhaust, but that would never fit haha

It would fit with dry sump, as 9ff did it on their 16v twin-turbo.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:12 AM
80sriy
4th Gear

Default Thanks for valuable input

Thanks guys for your valuable insights.

Much appreciated : )
Old 12-25-2011, 01:47 AM
gux944
Intermediate

So I guess a muffler turbo solution is not a good idea or?
Old 12-25-2011, 02:11 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Not needed. With the proper CAI especially in colder months, the intake manifold can be cool to luke warm even after heavy boost runs. The turbo placement is negated with proper sourcing of cold air for the charge air.

Can testify to this personally. In cold months I have done many back to back full boost hard runs and pull over pop the hood and intake is luke warm at most and IC pipe to TB is cool to the touch.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:39 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gux944
So I guess a muffler turbo solution is not a good idea or?
I'd imagine the benefit of slightly faster spool would be offset from the added weight and bother of re-turboing a turbocharged car
Old 12-25-2011, 03:28 AM
David.N
Intermediate

the turbocharger on the 944 Turbo was moved to the opposite side of the engine from the exhaust. This helped reduce the turbocharger inlet temperatures by approximately 160 °F. Additionally, the turbocharger has a water-cooled bearing housing. During normal operation, the cooling water is supplied from the engine cooling system via a tap on the low temperature side of the radiator. The cooling water returns to the water pump suction via a small thermostat or to the expansion tank if the thermostat is closed. During shutdown, coolant is supplied from the radiator and expansion tank and circulated through the bearing housing and back to the expansion tank. The water in the expansion tank is cooled by being siphoned through the makeup line to the radiator. Coolant circulation through the turbocharger bearing housing is supported by an electric pump. The combination of lower inlet temperatures and water-cooling to the bearing housing dramatically increased the turbocharger life expectancy over the 924 Turbo and 911 Turbo.
Porsche did it right, Its more reliable, In the end the air entering the engine is still cooler then if it was on the exhaust side even if the turbo is under the intake manifold.

Who cares about boost taking a bit longer. Lag is awesome, and fun. When your on a track your always reving high so the lag doesnt even matter.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the op sounds like a fun weekend project.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM
David.N
Intermediate

I am a mechanical engineer. I am not saying it is better then new technology, If you are an engineer then you should know that everything has to work together. In the case of the 951, it is just fine on the other side and was well designed to be on that side for a reason.

All cars have problems, Forums are going to be obviously only about these problems. These cars I have found to be very reliable. I know guys with 25 year old cars with half the mileage of mine (240,000) that struggle to stay on the road.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:24 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

What he said ^

However, I think there are many niche areas one can improve to gain more hp, but why this one? This one won't make a big difference for anything. There are other things one can do for the same amount of money, the same amount of work, or the same amount of ingenuity -- and gain more power.

Do you choose to modify the turbo setup just because you want to see if it can be done?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Emily750
Advanced

The turbo design on this car is horrible. 5 feet of header piping = major lag. Turbos can take the abuse from heat. My Evo 8 turbo is the same size as the 61 in my 951 and has no lag.

Quick Reply: Relocating the Turbo on a 951?