Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power and rough idle- feels and sounds like an old muscle car! What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:39 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

You can go down to the auto parts and get a inline spark tester.

And borrow or rent a compression tester from them if they do it. Sears has them for sure.

And pull that injector and put it in a jar and turn it over and see if a pretty good spray of fuel is coming out .

It gets tougher from there.

In the Porsche factory manual it has a Drivability Troubleshooting Chart of what to look for like no start, or loss of power, etc.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:37 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

For what it's worth and in case it hasn't been brought up. I pulled my intake manifold, injectors, cam tower and started looking at all the other stuff underneath and here's the dope. Some vacuum lines and fittings can't be seen under normal conditions because they're obstructed by the intake manifold or the J boot. I found a cracked plastic 3/8" fitting under the boot that led to, among other things, the ISV. Secondly, I found a cracked vacuum hose, same diameter on the other side of the ISV where it goes to the intake manifold. Relavent to your situation? Perhaps not but I did send my injectors to Witch Hunter and they had them back in 4 days with all the flow data before and after. The Noid light I bought on ebay for a few bucks.

When I did a vacuum system check a few months ago, instead of using carb cleaner I put a 2" PVC cap into the J boot with a quick disconnect air fitting threaded into it. Then I sprayed the entire engine with soapy water solution. Input air pressure between 7 and 10 psi. The bubbles showed clearly where the vacuum leaks were. One was the butterfly shaft in the throttle body.

One thing I did find after I got the car home from NM where I bought it: I think the mouse got out around Albuquerque.....

Last edited by mytrplseven; 01-10-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could just swap injectors #1 and #2...That would at least take a faulty injector out of the equation.

God, this brings back bad memories...when I replaced my injectors. I took my fuel rail off at least 4 times. One would leak.. then another would leak. Changed all the o-rings a few times. I just replaced them all. Problem solved...albeit expensive.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*facepalm*

Guess what I caught with my flashlight at just the right angle when I was poking around the fuel rail with my stethoscope? I'm about speachless. But giddy. Erm, thanks everyone...

If you've come back to this thread years from now, there may be one thing you overlooked... are your injectors plugged in?...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too funny....how did it get unplugged? Well..you got a tune-up and proper plugs out of it. My guess is Porsche elves...sneaky bastards.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by BlackOp
Too funny....how did it get unplugged? Well..you got a tune-up and proper plugs out of it. My guess is Porsche elves...sneaky bastards.
Man, something. No that black wire for it comes up and sticks out in a loop- I'm sure I accidentally snagged it just enough without realizing. Tucked that away. Took it on a test drive immediately obviously, learned I also didn't tighten an intercooler hose down enough, fixed that and it's running as well as it ever has TMK!

Embarassing... yet awesome. Thrilled I'll now be able to take my father for a spin and let him drive it on Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great. It's always the simple things that cause the most trouble. Enjoy your car now.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Back from a few days away . I am glad it worrked out good. That noid light was going to find that as soon as you got set to check #1. But I am glad you found it before.

And the car is still mo betta for the other work too. So it should be good to go. For a while .
Old 11-25-2011, 11:47 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 11-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Indeed, guys- thanks again. Good investment for the car anyway to help get it to my own level of sorted, and still a good learning experience.

I'm still thrilled that's all it was, and thankful that I'm now able to move onto rubbing in some fine cut paint correction and polish- cosmetics! What a luxury that is! I don't think the paint has ever been de-swirled before and it's working wonders on what I feared might be a lost cause black OE paint job this old. I'll get some fresh photos up next month when I finish it up properly (travelling a bit soon).

Probably available for a GTG in mid-December, neighbors!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Probably available for a GTG in mid-December, neighbors!
Indeed!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:59 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I just drove through Dallas this week,, Hadnt been there too much for a couple of years. The traffic from downtown up through Denton was horrible and on par with anything we have here in Houston. Whew !
Old 11-26-2011, 06:33 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I just drove through Dallas this week,, Hadnt been there too much for a couple of years. The traffic from downtown up through Denton was horrible and on par with anything we have here in Houston. Whew !
Yeah, there isn't any of Dallas county that I can think of that is much fun in a 951. The FUN roads are Southwest of Fort Worth past Granbury. You should join us on our next "Sunday Drive" and hit some of the fun roads with the growing DFW Rennlist gang.

Quick Reply: Loss of power and rough idle- feels and sounds like an old muscle car! What is this?