Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder head bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:39 PM
dontnow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first picture holding the stud shows a light color on the tip indicating a fresh break, where the darker color is usually older indicating a "mostly but not completely broken" fastener. In the other pictures it looks like all dark, so I wasn't going to say one way or the other on the finality of the break.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
jharding
Rennlist Member

There is a shop in Woodstock VT called PCCW. They did a valve job for my engine several years ago which included a competition valve grind (5 angle), head plane, and knurled a guide or two that were a bit out of shape. I think the shop is part owned by Ricky Craven.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
psychodoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I have not done any real engineering in about 15 years, and not that it matters all that much now, but that full slant fracture surface in the range of 45 degrees is evidence of a tensile fracture and is characteristic of an overload.
There may have been some irregularity right there in the stud, but when it got mongo-ed on, as has been identified by the bottomed nut, it started cracking. It may have been felt by the mongo-er.
Then when the other loads such as heat and vibration and combustion were applied over time as you drove it, the final fracture occurred.
So while it was there for a while, it wasnt really completely through and there waiting for you to find it. Only Mongo knows for sure LOL. This is more commonly known as twsited the **** off.
That makes sense.

I raced motorcyles in the 1970s and 80's and 90's with crap fasteners so I know first hand about these things. I too resembeled mongo until the bolts got better and I got some torque wrenches. And then came Harleys. Make it up tight - real tight. My engine guy and I built up a Harley motor and I never saw him pick up a torque wrench except for the crank. Made it up tight too !
LOL...Been there too.....Are there torque specs for Shovelheads and Ironheads???

Originally Posted by jharding
There is a shop in Woodstock VT called PCCW. They did a valve job for my engine several years ago which included a competition valve grind (5 angle), head plane, and knurled a guide or two that were a bit out of shape. I think the shop is part owned by Ricky Craven.
Thanks Jharding! I'll definitely give them a call.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:36 PM
psychodoc
Advanced

Default Update

Well, the stud is broken completely inside the block. I am open to suggestions on how to get the stud out but I know that I may be looking at a replacement block...anyone have one they want to let go?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

How far down is it broken off?

A shop might be able to EDM it out... but it might cost a few hundred bucks. And for the price, you should be able to get a new block (or new engine).
Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With it broken at such a steep angle it'll be hard to do anything by hand. Maybe, m a y b e , you can Dremel a flat spot on the top of the stud to be able to drill into it and get an easy out tapped into it. If it was mine my wallet would be screaming at me......
Old 12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
psychodoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van
How far down is it broken off?

A shop might be able to EDM it out... but it might cost a few hundred bucks. And for the price, you should be able to get a new block (or new engine).
It's down about 1-1.5" ...Do you have a location down there that may have a block or engine?

Originally Posted by Funn944
With it broken at such a steep angle it'll be hard to do anything by hand. Maybe, m a y b e , you can Dremel a flat spot on the top of the stud to be able to drill into it and get an easy out tapped into it. If it was mine my wallet would be screaming at me......
I plan to try everything I can, including the Dremel....and yes, the wallet is starting to scream!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just buy a used shortblock. It will be way less headache and probably way cheaper. Or even just a whole engine. See what you can find.

Sorry this happened to you, that's a real bummer!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM
psychodoc
Advanced

Default UPDATE

Well, it's been awhile and I have looked at quite a few blocks/motors. I finally found one that was in a car and running and will pick it up on Friday. It's a complete motor with low mileage. I'm hoping to finally get this car sorted out in the next few weeks. Once I pull the old block I will see if a machine shop can extract the stud, hopefully leaving me with a motor I can completely rebuild.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM
psychodoc
Advanced

Old engine is out and replacement is about to be put in.
I've got:
New w/p, thermo
Timing, bs belts with rollers
Front engine seals
New clutch
A/C delete bracket
Alt/ps belts
New cap/rotor/wires/plugs
The power steering rack is a leaking mess. Does anyone a) know where I can source a reasonably priced rebuilt unit or b) have a manual rack and intermediate shaft they would like to part with?
I'll give an update when i'm done. Hopefully i've got all of the vacuum lines properly marked...

Quick Reply: Cylinder head bolt