Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle ... what could it be? Not TPS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recent graduate from automotive tech. i believe....
Right, don't be setting your idle... you're just covering something up. And Porsche went the extra mile to put 5 (count em, 5) lug nuts on each wheel. Thats to make double damn sure you don't go *****-nilly thinking you can take the wheels off. That sort of thing is only for trained professionals. .... ;] Bruce
Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and thats your sole constructive contribution to this thread and the forum today is it ?

I'm sure that we are all thoroughly grateful and enlightened by your erudite wisdom and insight .

ps I thought your friendly and welcoming response to a new Rennlist member with a single post was particularly appropriate
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure the throttle body is closing all the way? When i redid mine and put the tps back on, I had it set too far back and the butterfly was open about 1/16th of an inch. It caused a surging idle.

There is a screw on the top left of the throttle body, and a small tang that bumps against it when the throttle is closed. Check to see that those two things are touching. If they are not, then readjust it. I had to take the tps off and make the slight adjustment. It can be deceiving because the tps clicks as soon as you turn the butterfly inside, but the tps is causing the butterfly to not close fully.

I hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe without pics.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:27 AM
Zkat
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but this if for those who may suffer this later. Mine started idling at 2K and nothing here seemed to help. It's a base model so the TPS is just two switches. One closed at idle and the other closes at WOT. I disconnected the cruise, rebuilt and then tested the TPS, checked for leaks and everything passed. Then I found it. Where the throttle cable penetrates the firewall on the engine side is a sleeve that goes into a socket at the penetration. It's job is to protect the throttle cable. If it comes out of the socket at the firewall it puts tension on the throttle cable opening the throttle just enough to bring it to 2K with no load. It was enough to **** off the Easter Bunny but super easy to fix. Just pull slightly to get it off the lip of the pass through socket and slide it back in. Done.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:09 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just saw this thread was bumped. Brings back memories. I am and was so appreciative of all the help. It was definitely the idle screw and, as was mentioned, various tiny vacuum leaks. Idle has been set according to Clark's Garage, vacuum leaks fixed, and everything else checked, and now the idle is awesome. I can see retrospectively that, like many new owners, I overlooked many helpful posts because they implied a difficult and tedious challenge (ie the vacuum leaks, and there are so many of those sources in the 944).
THANKS EVERYONE

Last edited by bonus12; 09-04-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: High idle ... what could it be? Not TPS.