Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrgh - HELP with Seatbelt & Buzzer RL 944T Pros

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Arrgh - HELP with Seatbelt & Buzzer RL 944T Pros

On the idea that it is ALWAYS something with these cars , I need help with this buzzer before it drives me crazy-ier!

I have the 1986 944 Turbo going to a big show here in Houston for the weekend upcoming. In conjunction with that I had a very reliable upholstery shop here do a small seat and bolster repair today as we had been waiting for the leather to get here. They work with Porsches regularly.

They call me a few minutes before closing and say it is ready. So I hustle and go get the car and it looks great. I hop in and move it outside the gate so they can get closed. I move my truck and wait on my buddies to get there so I can get it all home. The seat is not in my normal position so I drive a block without the seat belt on and the buzzer is going. I pull up next to the truck and get my wallet etc and let the 951 idle a few minutes. I get back in and the buzzer is still going. I move the seat, check the seat belt, etc and still buzzing. Then I get out and check the doors and hatch and it is still buzzing.

So I drive it home all the while it is buzzing and driving me bonkers. I get here and look up under the seat from back and front and can see nothing. Check everything on the dash and find no warning lights, etc - ut still buzzing. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! The other electrics all work fine BTW.

So I go get the Porsche Service Manual and check the relays and all. I go out and pull the relay for the buzzer and check. Of course it is now off.

I re-install the relay and check the seat belt display light. It goes off without me latching the seat belt. Hmmmm. I cant remember if it generally stays on until I latch. It seems to, but it is not something I look at all the time. Does your seatbelt light stay on unitl the belt is latched??

Ok so now is the question(s). Of course I am going to go back to the shop tomorow and see if they can pull that seat again and check everything out. But they are up to it to try the get the cars ready for the show now. Is there anything you guys can think of that might be easy to to check? I have never seen the connections to the seat and cant see under from either side now to see if something disconnected.

Secondly I guess it is possible that the seatbelt and warning relay went bad right that moment. Or that I let it ring for a few minutes there at idle and it finished it off. Of course finding these relays can be like pulling teeth. Much less to get one here by Friday so it does not run me out of the car. Yeah I can leave it out for Saturday - but I want it back working right sometime anyway.

I am thinking I ask the shop that I try the relay first, and if that does not work, then they pull the seat again, probably have to be next week though. More damn work to get Gremlins . Again

Does anybody have an idea or two? Thanks in advance. A lot.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

My condensed thoughts on the seat and buzzer are

1.) The shop made an error of some kind during the re-install. Whether that is a loose connection, something not connected, connected improperly, or a little kink, short, or twist in wire(s). Not being familiar with the seat I am not sure how easy or tough to do.

2.) The relay went bad. But would it go bad to activate the buzzer normally, or to not activate the buzzer?

And would it also effect the seat belt display light?

One thing is sure. The buzzer is working well.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the pigtail on teh drivers seat belt recepticle is plugged in... it is located under the seat.

Move the seat all the way forward and up, follow the wires from the recepticle to the plug.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Thank you John. I will do. I peered under there first but I will do it again. On my Avalanche there is room for my hand. Here I may need a smaller paw LOL! Thanks.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I will post up what I think is the answer so the next RennLister with this can check his.

When I got the car on a lift so I could see under there easier, it appears that Idea Number 1 above is correct.

The re-installation did not go as it should have. One of the wires is pinched in the seat frame area. Looks like it is coming from the seatbelt. So Monday the shop will take the seat out again and try to get this positiioned better.

I do have a new relay now to keep in the spares box.

And in other news I have two days worth of work to get ready for the car show. I have to wonder if all this work is worth it.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can always pull the Buzzer out! its in the fuse box i believe... I don't think my car (87na) makes any noise for the seatbelt.

Quick Reply: Arrgh - HELP with Seatbelt & Buzzer RL 944T Pros