Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a 951 for auto-cross and open tracking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a 951 for auto-cross and open tracking.

Hello all - Been doing research on 944's and 951's. I'm very interested in picking one up.

Background:I have a 2006 Mustang GT that I was going to convert to a "Race car first, street car second" project. I picked up a supercharger and did some suspension work in preparation of the next racing season. However, my GF is now prego and I need to cut my racing budget down quite a bit and get a more reliable DD. So I'm trading in the Mustang on a new DD and selling my yet unused parts for the supercharger build. I'm going to have about $4500 after I get rid of all my supercharger parts and supporting modifications. I am also selling my old DD, which is a Ford Ranger, and should get a return of around $3000-$3500 on it fairly easily. I'm a fairly skilled mechanic as I was a Master Certified Ford diesel tech, before I got tired of the dealership life.

The questions: Should I be able to buy and prepare a 951 for such a cause on a $7500 budget? I don't want a show car, so I'm not really concerned with how the interior looks our what kind of shape the paint is in. However, I would like one that doesn't have many mechanical problems to begin with. Don't care about A/C because that will be getting ripped out. I'll be using a "Cool Shirt" in the summer as Iowa has pretty nasty days 90-100* F with really high humidity.

What will I need to be worried about on a 951 with roughly 150k miles on it? This is what I'm seeing that is in the price range I'm looking for ($4500-$5000).

Should I worry about upgrading the brakes or should a good set of rotor's and mild track pad's be sufficient?

Will a 951 with the kind of mileage I'm going to be looking at be realiable enough to race at least one season without worry?

The goal: In the end I would like to have a 300RWHP car that looks ok, handles great and is dead reliable. I'm budgeting $1000 a season for consumables including brake pads, rotors, fluids and the like. Also, this will eventually be a pure track car that will be trailered to events once I can afford a trailer and a truck to tow it. Keep in mind I'm not putting the car first, by any means, or running on the ragged edge of my income just to race the car.

Thanks in advance, any and all advice is appreciated.

Jake
Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

been there done that. Of course my cheap 951 turned into a 25k + build. Turbo + autox = fail. Unless your region makes some large autox courses the turbo sucks. My n/a was way faster since the gearing is higher and the lag is too much. I attended DE events w/ mine and eventually worked my way up to instructing for the PCA. On the track its awsome and stock brakes w/ some super blue fluid and hawk blues all around are crazy good. The lighter you make the car the better. Personally if you are just getting into the porsche scene i would get an n/a and autox it and figure out what you want- much cheaper. You can pick up used spec 944 race cars for fairly cheap- definitly within your budget w/ everything already done.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Originally Posted by xsboost90
been there done that. Of course my cheap 951 turned into a 25k + build. Turbo + autox = fail. Unless your region makes some large autox courses the turbo sucks. My n/a was way faster since the gearing is higher and the lag is too much. I attended DE events w/ mine and eventually worked my way up to instructing for the PCA. On the track its awsome and stock brakes w/ some super blue fluid and hawk blues all around are crazy good. The lighter you make the car the better. Personally if you are just getting into the porsche scene i would get an n/a and autox it and figure out what you want- much cheaper. You can pick up used spec 944 race cars for fairly cheap- definitly within your budget w/ everything already done.
The more I read, the farther I am leaning toward starting out with a N/A car. My only problem with that is perception of power. My Mustang had 292RWHP and a ticket over 300RWTQ with just a CAI and a good tune. I don't know if I am willing to take a massive hit in top end performance. I will be open tracking the car at Blackhawk Farm's and Road America for sure next season. So, I don't know if the power of a N/A 944 will be enough for me. It may just be my ego talking, but thats the gut feeling I have. Also, part of the fun, for me at least, is building the car with my own two hands. So I would rather not pick up a car that has everything already done on it. If that makes any sense at all.

Your advice is much appreciated however.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeM
The goal: In the end I would like to have a 300RWHP car that looks ok, handles great and is dead reliable.
"Dead reliable" and "944 turbo" is an oxymoron. The two terms are mutually exclusive.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Originally Posted by s14kev
"Dead reliable" and "944 turbo" is an oxymoron. The two terms are mutually exclusive.
I don't expect a $4500 car to be dead reliable. But after I've had it for a few seasons and have gone through it, in the end I would hope it would be that way. Or would it be a never ending battle even if I were to replace the OEM parts with more heavy duty aftermarket parts? Or is there such a thing for 951's?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Sounds like financial suicide to me. If you read around the threads here about what people have to do just to keep their street cars on the road....they're not cheap to own.

What about a mazda miata? I used to auto-x in high school and the miatas dominated every time.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
Sounds like financial suicide to me. If you read around the threads here about what people have to do just to keep their street cars on the road....they're not cheap to own.

What about a mazda miata? I used to auto-x in high school and the miatas dominated every time.
I'm trying to avoid a Miata. Not my style one bit. I'm normally a function over form kind of guy but a Miata has never been something I have "wanted" to own.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

The only way I could justify my build was an adventure into the world of automotive engineering. But yea, you may as well get a low to mid powered NA like a miata, 240sx, 325is, etc...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JakeM
I'm trying to avoid a Miata. Not my style one bit. I'm normally a function over form kind of guy but a Miata has never been something I have "wanted" to own.
It wouldn't be my first choice either. But I'm sure they're a lot more reliable and parts are cheaper. Just sayin'
Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
It wouldn't be my first choice either. But I'm sure they're a lot more reliable and parts are cheaper. Just sayin'
Gotcha. I just don't know if I could be passionate about driving one. What good is owning a car if I'm not having fun whilst driving it?

Keep in mind, I'm not against getting a 944 over a 951, but I would like to be very informed about my purchase either way. I'd hate to buy a 944 just to find out I want more power and should have gotten a 951 in the first place.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Maybe I should also state that I'll be doing all the labor myself in a very well prepared shop.

My uncle and cousin's are all drag racer's. I'm the one who likes turns in my diet.. I also tune the EFI car's. Have experience on many stand alones and a few "factory" calibration style software sets.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Can I just say....

/JEALOUS
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
You can pick up used spec 944 race cars for fairly cheap- definitly within your budget w/ everything already done.
GREAT idea....I know a local Rennlister (Phlip) is racing 944 Spec and said he DOES not miss the 3L 951 he used to race.

BTW everyone...he went to the Nats in Ohio and I believe was 5th overall IN HIS FIRST season!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, well others have already stated the realities pretty well. An to put a nail in it a 951 in auto x is like bringing a knife to a gun fight!

And DD good luck with that! It's always going to be something! I'd say you'll need that shop!

Those that have these beast love them but most of us are realistic, the 150,000 mile is no biggie it's just the other stuff that is getting old and worn.

I think a S2 would be a better choice. But DD and autocross!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:18 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i got rid of my turbo w/ over 370rwhp and went to a 130 some hp n/a as a race car. Now i have two! It all depends on who you are on the track with. I do miss chasing down gt3's but the rush is the same.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 951 for auto-cross and open tracking.