Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a 951 for auto-cross and open tracking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
Wow, well others have already stated the realities pretty well. An to put a nail in it a 951 in auto x is like bringing a knife to a gun fight!

And DD good luck with that! It's always going to be something! I'd say you'll need that shop!

Those that have these beast love them but most of us are realistic, the 150,000 mile is no biggie it's just the other stuff that is getting old and worn.

I think a S2 would be a better choice. But DD and autocross!
You may have missed something... This will NOT be a DD.... Not in the slightest.. The most time it will see on the street is on the way to an event at the track. Or maybe PCA event's.

My DD is actually a Geo Prism (37MPG FTW).. We also have a Subaru Legacy L that the GF DD's. LoL I'm getting rid of my 2006 Mustang GT for a Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer just to have something decent to tote the kid around in that is comfortable and reliable. Also four wheel drive for the not-so-nice Iowa winters.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say if you get a 944 Turbo make sure it runs good and everything works before you get it. My car I didn't look at myself. I had my dad check it out and I guess he either didn't notice the weird noises it made and it didn't make full boost. Basically one thing lead to another and now 1 year later I have it about sorted out. The FPR and the turbo were toast on my car. I replaced all the vacuum lines along with some other little odds and ends. The thing that kills the turbo is the parts which sometimes can be expensive. My AC went out this summer not happy about that, but I haven't bothered with it yet. I will try and get to that next spring.

Other than that these cars are fun as hell. I can't say that enough. Its awesome. Even though I have had some issues I love the way these cars look and drive. I do have my car for sale, but I'm not going to give it away since it is a well sorted Turbo just has a few issues left.

These cars I don't think would be good at autocross only because of the lack of low end, but get out of first gear and these cars can scoot.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeM
You may have missed something... This will NOT be a DD.... Not in the slightest.. The most time it will see on the street is on the way to an event at the track. Or maybe PCA event's.

My DD is actually a Geo Prism (37MPG FTW).. We also have a Subaru Legacy L that the GF DD's. LoL I'm getting rid of my 2006 Mustang GT for a Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer just to have something decent to tote the kid around in that is comfortable and reliable. Also four wheel drive for the not-so-nice Iowa winters.
Oh snap! I did miss that! ! If that's off the table then op on board! Timing belt and water pump are the biggies need documents if none are available then plan on doing that right off. I'd also change all the inter cooler hoses especially the Throttle body to hard pipe hose! Other wise you'll be asking about losing boost at 4000 rpm!
Yeah as long as you k now what your getting into have fun!

PS Still make a crappy autocross weapon but yeah, you'll do better!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Originally Posted by schip43
Oh snap! I did miss that! ! If that's off the table then op on board! Timing belt and water pump are the biggies need documents if none are available then plan on doing that right off. I'd also change all the inter cooler hoses especially the Throttle body to hard pipe hose! Other wise you'll be asking about losing boost at 4000 rpm!
Yeah as long as you k now what your getting into have fun!

PS Still make a crappy autocross weapon but yeah, you'll do better!
Open to 944 or 944 S. At the suggestion of another member I contacted my 'local' PCA president to see if he can help me find someone more local to me to help find a 944,944S or 951. I say 'local' because the "Central Iowa Region" is really the "all of Iowa Region" and is pretty spread out.

Appreciate the advice.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 PM
scph
Rennlist Member

Just get both. Thats how I wound up. lol I like driving my 944S as a driver and would kill my 951 on an autocross course. However there is always those big road race tracks... lol Just be honest with yourself about what you are really going to do with it. Then spend some time shopping. With Porsche you are better to spend a little more to get a well kept one now than a ton sorting it later.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Road America is a track that's a bit more fun with power.

I would get an S2 if you can find one in that price range. It's fast enough to still be fun at Road America, gives you all the turbo handling/braking goodies, and will be reliable.

If it turns out you want more power after that, it's an easy switch to a 951 and most parts you've bought (suspension, etc) can be transferred over.

Just know that a chipped and maintained 951 can be very reliable but the temptation to get more power is strong. Once you go down that road, track reliability takes a serious nose dive with bolt-ons.

I had years of reliable track time with a mild chip. Years where the car was broken more than it wasn't with bolt-ons. Now I've got a 3.0L done right. I learned a ton during the years when the car was broken a lot. I learned I should have either stayed with just the chip or skipped straight to the 3.0L.

You've got skills and a shop so that makes it easier to work on the car but a baby on the way means time is precious. You'll prefer to spend your time at the track, not fixing the car.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 AM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

I vote S2. Definitely the best of both worlds. As everyone else has said, the 951 would be a poor choice at an autocross. If you plan to do more track racing than autocrossing and you can't resist the extra HP, then go with the turbo, but the S2 is definitely the safe bet. There is one in East Dubuque for sale. you could probably get it for between 3500 and 5000. I met the owner. He has had it for many years, and has taken care of it well, but wants to move on. I could get some more details for you if you are interested. Where in Iowa are you? I go to school in dubuque.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 AM
JakeM
AutoX

Originally Posted by mikemyers924s
I vote S2. Definitely the best of both worlds. As everyone else has said, the 951 would be a poor choice at an autocross. If you plan to do more track racing than autocrossing and you can't resist the extra HP, then go with the turbo, but the S2 is definitely the safe bet. There is one in East Dubuque for sale. you could probably get it for between 3500 and 5000. I met the owner. He has had it for many years, and has taken care of it well, but wants to move on. I could get some more details for you if you are interested. Where in Iowa are you? I go to school in dubuque.
I live in Dewitt. Which is about 15 minutes north of Davenport. I would be very interested in it. I'm putting my Supercharger kit and stuff up for sale this weekend on a well known website where it should move very fast. Let me know. Either shoot me a PM or update this thread. If it is no trouble for you, of coarse. :P

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just thinking about one other idea that might work for you jake by the sound of your background and needs, have you looked into the 944 v8 swap then you can get a cheap 944 and a LT or LS (im sure you know someone with a LT sitting in there garage) and with your skills have just what you are looking for fast cheap DD aslong as your are not going to be doing spec racing http://www.944hybrids.com/
Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Well the V8 is a viable option for any 944. So keep that in mind if running a chevy does'nt bother you! Plenty of them on the 951 board. Mostly happens after people get done blowing up turbo motor's!

But if I were to get another 44, it would be an S2! Just seems like it would be alot less hassel! And a tip for testing driving a 951 (mine is modded) never drove a stock one but I suspect the off boost performance would be similar.

With the 951 do some real world driving ie 35,55 mph range stop and go, long steep hills in the upper gears. Try driving through a school zone at 15mph! 951 are not to happy with that kinda crap!
Let a 951, rip on the open road and it's happy as a pig in mud!But in the real world, not so much!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Thanks everyone. Just so happens my local PCA region is having a meet in my home town THIS WEEKEND! LoL... So, I'm going to meet up with those guys and be a black sheep. Quite literally.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:30 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JakeM
Thanks everyone. Just so happens my local PCA region is having a meet in my home town THIS WEEKEND! LoL... So, I'm going to meet up with those guys and be a black sheep. Quite literally.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
BG993
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Jake,

Some great advice here. (BTW, the Mustang is very nice)...

I had a 944 Turbo that I built into a PCA Stock F (now E) car, and I am currently building an SP1 car (a stock 944 race car). I loved the power in the Turbo, but as others have said, it takes a fair amount of work to get that to run reliably on the track.

Think N/A, and drive the "heck" out of it. You'll have almost as much fun, and the satisfaction of driving a slower car fast...

JMO... Bill
Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 PM
JakeM
AutoX

Originally Posted by BG993
Jake,

Some great advice here. (BTW, the Mustang is very nice)...

I had a 944 Turbo that I built into a PCA Stock F (now E) car, and I am currently building an SP1 car (a stock 944 race car). I loved the power in the Turbo, but as others have said, it takes a fair amount of work to get that to run reliably on the track.

Think N/A, and drive the "heck" out of it. You'll have almost as much fun, and the satisfaction of driving a slower car fast...

JMO... Bill

Thanks.. Suck's I am getting rid of it. It is an awesome car. I'd be racing it if I didn't need a better daily driver... Especially considering I have about $6000 worth of parts in boxes that was supposed to go on before next years racing season... Priorities, who needs them?

As usual, I appreciate the advice fella's! Looking forward to Sunday morning now.

Also, the V8 swap is very tempting. Going to have to look into that.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

BMW E30 325is is a great track/auto-x car. My 951 turned into a 948. Now it's a reliable track car!

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 951 for auto-cross and open tracking.