Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 944 (85.5+) Instrument Cluster....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM
944Will
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, one of the things I wanted to work on was the light surface scratching on the face plate - I have already cleaned the lenses for the ambient lights and even without new reflector material on its massively improved. In fact I fear that if I put the reflector material on they will be too bright - might even go back from leds for the ambient to bulbs and then of course the dimming would work for the ambient but not the gauges.

Plastic Polish then, must go and look for it - can't be too easy to do the inside...

Does the low fuel light not light when the ignition is on pre-start (II) accessory - when everything else seems to light? That's what I was using to test my work.

BTW where and what are the grounds you mention? I cleaned the football things that secure the outside clusters and that seems to have made my fuel gauge more accurate? (showing fuller when full)

Does anyone have a complete break down of the bulb types for the bulbs inside the outer clusters? Is that the stuff that is being quoted above? I could only get one out... The battery one I think - it was a twin pin thing but has only 12V written on it and nothing else - I am told that of the four in the inside cluster two are pins and two are twists (or soemthing)

Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
mopar bob
Pro

On Cleaning the in side of the lens, it comes apart with a few screws. As for the grounds there are 2 under the dash on the drivers side. You should clean all your grounds on the car. Your other lights may get brighter. When the bulbs are out clean the grounding plane for the bulbs. They are the copper circut traces, you only have to clean where the bulbs touch. I would also under the nuts for the gauges. This being dirty is a problem for older cars. I bought a 66 Dodge a number of years ago and none of the interior lights worked till I cleaned all the grounds and a new set of bulbs.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
944Will
Intermediate

what do the grounds under dash look like? thanks for all the advice ill try to do all this "while I'm in there".
Will
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a look up above the clutch pedal you should be able to see two grounds up there
Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Medski
Is it supposed to be very very dim lit when having the setting to its brightest and lights are on? Is there any after market option avaible to replace those gauges?

Mine works fine, but it's quite hard to see when driving at night not in a well lit city.

Porsche says: "The light should be as dim as possible: bright enough to provide visibilty, but not so bright that vision to the outside is impaired."

A pic that shows Porsche did say it, with a link to why Porsche doesnt use red lights.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-workbook.html

Last edited by HICKS; 02-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
mopar bob
Pro

There was a post with pics of all grounding points not long ago.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 AM
944Will
Intermediate

Very interesting about the illumination!

I have finished my LED change out - doing all but the inside cluster bulbs. Yes, the ones that didn't work originally did work when rotated 180°.

And yes the dimmer does work - well enough to be very nice and bright at full and close to the original maximum on dim (which was too dim for my liking) so I have a range that will suit me just fine.

Cheers
Will

Quick Reply: The 944 (85.5+) Instrument Cluster....