Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restore your guards "pink" to red...for $40. (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Eat crow guys... Eat crow. LOl
Old 09-28-2011, 07:05 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

mmmm crow.. num num num num
Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks pretty fantastic- talk about value... how did you work with the Porsche decal on the back (or is that even a decal, sorry I'm a n00b)?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i had mentioned doing this in a thread a few months back and ended up with a crapload of pms. i love the idea. the effects will last maybe 3~4 months. but, do it again. keep doing it. it's fun, easy, effective. finally when you've cut all the laquer check off the car, (along with the paint), you'll be an lot closer to having the car prepped for the respray.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odurandina
i had mentioned doing this in a thread a few months back and ended up with a crapload of pms. i love the idea. the effects will last maybe 3~4 months. but, do it again. keep doing it. it's fun, easy, effective. finally when you've cut all the laquer check off the car, (along with the paint), you'll be an lot closer to having the car prepped for the respray.
I'm not sure I quite follow that? Why would it just fade back...I'm using some of the best paint protection products....Wolfgang 3.0 Paint sealant lasts a long time. Couple that with a few coats of wax...The rear of my car was the only section that was really faded.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
That looks pretty fantastic- talk about value... how did you work with the Porsche decal on the back (or is that even a decal, sorry I'm a n00b)?
The paint under the decal wasn't faded...I just polished the whole strip.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:25 PM
mopar bob
Pro

It will go back if you don't keep it waxed and stay away form the car wash. Wash it by hand and wax at 3 times or more a year and you are golden.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mopar bob
It will go back if you don't keep it waxed and stay away form the car wash. Wash it by hand and wax at 3 times or more a year and you are golden.
Thats pretty much what I thought....I'm going to go with synthetic wax on this one. It lasts a lot longer than P21. I wax my car about every 2-3 months..
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

How is this holding up around a month later? If I have some pretty worn and swirled black paint, can I get similar results? I understand these cars don't have a clearcoat, so if I can cut into the paint once, use that sealer which was mentioned earlier, and keep it waxed seasonally, I'm hoping to get another few years out of my original paint before having to do a proper respray on it. Thoughts please?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

I don't care what anybody says. I'm gonna try it! I have a guards red in the same condition. I just priced paint last week. $400 per gallon wholesale. That's just the base color! Add clearcoat, reducer, activator, supplies, prep, etc and I'm looking at over a thousand in materials. For a 84 NA? Not until I see the stimulus package results!

Good job man! Thanks for posting it!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by Kerry Chadderton
For a 84 NA? Not until I see the stimulus package results!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
How is this holding up around a month later? If I have some pretty worn and swirled black paint, can I get similar results? I understand these cars don't have a clearcoat, so if I can cut into the paint once, use that sealer which was mentioned earlier, and keep it waxed seasonally, I'm hoping to get another few years out of my original paint before having to do a proper respray on it. Thoughts please?

It's a really bright red...looks like it's plugged in/electric compared to the other cars around it. Guards red was not the color I wanted...but it kind of has grown on me...in a quintessential 80's "mid-life crisis" way.

Definitely get a porter-cable random orbital if you intend to do the whole car....the Home depot models arent "random" and don't produce enough torque to cut the paint. They could also burn your paint.. I spent over 30 hours doing mine by hand. It was a BITCH...and not worth the $130 I saved. You might check out this site....it's where I ordered the Wolfgang sealant (amazing stuff). http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rando...al-buffer.html

Also, you might read this Dr. Colorchip thread I did a while back..https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ip-photos.html

Last edited by BlackOp; 10-18-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Similar dramatic results on my Guards Orange '84. It had sat out in an apartment parking lot in New Mexico for 7 years without so much as a wash (in the PO's care). It took more than a fine cut cleaner, but it was like getting a paint job. Afterwards, normal washing and occassional cleaner/wax kept it looking good. You can never go wrong with Meguiar's.
Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Amazing stuff... ok I'm sold. I might be able to get more than a few years out of this before having to get a respray (I usually polish with Zaino annually). Yeah, definitely getting a new Porter Cable and none other to tackle this. I've done some minor cutting before (Zaino Z-PC, by hand) but this will be the first time with a proper orbital. Looks like I have a Fall project ahead of me! Thanks for the photos, dudes.

Stayed up way too late last night with some touch-up paint dabbing all the rock chips over the years and let that bake in the sun today- looking forward to cutting all that down smooth and glazing over soon! Hope I can clay and polish this black paint into a deep inky abyss like I have on my S8.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It's funny how different years of guards red tend to turn different colors. My red early 944 (now gone) would turn orange, and my 968 turns pink. Either way, it's inevitable, and the rich red doesn't last for more than a month. I suppose I could try waxing it every 3 weeks, but F that!

I painted the 944 before I sold it. With the 968.... I've been thinking about getting it clear coated.

Quick Reply: Restore your guards "pink" to red...for $40. (photos)