Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the fun begin!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:32 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jagbuff
Ebay special, in the past I bought Euro Hella lenses and a HID set up separately (about $250). I found the turn key package for only $60 so I gave it a shot (see Ebay link below). The quality is average, there are no instructions (not rocket surgery so anyone with basic electrical understanding can manage) and requires some minor mods. Again considering the price - well worth it. Usual disclaimer, not affiliated with seller, results may vary, may not be legal in your state, might blow up your car etc...

Ebay Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/190574372392...ht_1796wt_1413
Any pics of the setup working?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More updates

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Any pics of the setup working?
Unfortunately progress has been erratic due to family issues which included a trip back across the pond. The light setup is completed and functional with the modules fitting as such

Shot of the lights on (hard to tell b/c of lighting)

Old 11-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Default Fixing the rust

I tackled fixing the rust under and around the air box. As this is out of sight, I didn't bother will perfect finish, just good surface prep, rust treatment, etching primer and single stage color

Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Default More fixes

CV joint out to replace the torn boot

New CV boot is in place.

While there, I decided to replace the shifting system with a short shifter that one of the listers built...

...but luck is not on my side and the main bolt broke so I will have to drill out
Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Default While there...

Decided I need a fuel shower so replaced the fuel filter

The injectors came back all cleaned and balanced from RC engineering - highly recommend the service. They provide a before and after spec sheet - two were originally dripping, all had poor spray.

They also repaint them - pretty!

As I am installing 18" Turbo twist wheels, I followed the recommendation of the list and replaced the front suspension bushings. The old ones were starting to fall apart

New ones installed!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Default Brakes and shocks

Front suspension reassembled with M030 Konis, new rotors/pads, SS lines and repainted calipers

Same for the rears

Alternator cooling hose was destroyed

New one in place

While there noticed the steering rack boot was damaged

Replaced was new one

Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Default On to the serious stuff....

Cam tensioner pads replaced

I also replaced the came chain and seals - I have to say that I hate those 12 point bolts....

Bearing and cams are in very good shape - comforting!

Waterpump (POS - more about that later) and timing belt in place

While I was very cautious about cam location, you can NEVER be sure that the prior guy didn't muck things up on the last belt change - trust but verify!! This is my timing set up, had to improvise a little

TDC verified per WSM and perfect match on the lift for the 3.0L engine (0.75mm)

Balance belt installed, all bearing seals have been replaced

New starter in place...

Cam cover is repainted wrinkle black, new rotor and cap, new hoses etc... Ready for the BIG moment !!!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, you're really going to town! excellent work all around!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Default WILL IT START?

Anyone who has worked on cars is always anxious about that first turn of the key. After filling the cooling system and pressurizing the fuel system, I crank the motor and after a couple turns it catches and settles to a perfect idle (still think the starter motor sounds like a truck...) with good oil pressure.

All is good and I start checking the systems for any leaks, oil, fuel, coolant....well coolant is dripping slowly under the engine next to the power steering pump. I stop the engine and check for any hose leaks...everything is fine and tight. The dripping continues and worsen as I pressurize the system....NOT good, I continue to explore and determine that it appears to come from the waterpump area. WTF, did I forget to tighten something?? Only option is to take the back cover off which means removing the belts etc.... Hardly a joyous moment.

Soooo, after 30 minutes I am able to get to the source, the culprit is the water pump bearing that is leaking, the new refurbished water pump that I decided to replace as a preventive measure (even though the other look quite new see prior posts) is leaking significantly.

NOT a good day!!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOB! I am so sorry that a DOA water pump has plagued your progress! Somewhere I have an image of cuts you can make to your rear timing cover so that you can pull just the water pump and not have to remove the balance shaft sprockets and crank pulley/gear. Save a ton of time.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man - that sucks. I always dread that first start too! Hope it isn't too much trouble replacing that pump...

Thanks for all the pics - very enjoyable thread to read!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

...So I called the nice folks at AA to ask for a replacement pump. The pump arrives but it is not the correct one - WTF!!

Needless to say I am getting a little frustrated with this part of the project, fortunately Leo is able to help me out the following day and overnights the correct pump - what a thing of beauty

In the interim I tackle the shifter which decides to put up a fight and shear off the main bolt...fortunately nothing a drill, a tap and patience can't fix

The new shifter made by one of the listers being installed -

After it is installed, the shifter still has sideways play around neutral (about 3/4") I decide to remove the shifter **** cover and explore - was going to replace the plastic cup anyways. I appears that the connection between the shifter and the main bar has play from wear. Shifter is fine so I decide to to drill out the main bar and machine a very thin brass bushing (oil impregnated) to take up the play - this was not an easy job in situ but the result was almost Miata-like Unfortunately I didn't document with pics

Water pump is installed, system is pressure tested and no leaks (note the missing front fender...more on that at another time).

Car starts right up and runs flawlessly. Still need to attache undertray but will put a few miles on to assure allis ok. Couple of garage shots - excuse the dirty floor - will post driving impression under other thread.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM
redmund
Racer

It's amazing what money, time, and a bit of skill can do for a car. That looks awesome, great work.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 AM
JoDa
8th Gear

I am thoroughly impressed by your attitude and positivity here Jagbuff. Being misled through a deal like this, would throw a lot of people off before the project even starts. Kudos to you!

Being a S2 owner myself, I find this thread both inspirational and educational (great pictures!) and looking forward to any updates.

Now then, for me it is all about finding 944 time between two small kids, a dog, full time job and maintaining a healthy relationship with the missus :-) (And it doesn’t help being wintertime in Norway with subzero temperatures for about 5 months a year either…)
How the heck do you find the time? ;-)

Regards, John
Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoDa
I am thoroughly impressed by your attitude and positivity here Jagbuff. Being misled through a deal like this, would throw a lot of people off before the project even starts. Kudos to you!

Being a S2 owner myself, I find this thread both inspirational and educational (great pictures!) and looking forward to any updates.

Now then, for me it is all about finding 944 time between two small kids, a dog, full time job and maintaining a healthy relationship with the missus :-) (And it doesn’t help being wintertime in Norway with subzero temperatures for about 5 months a year either…)
How the heck do you find the time? ;-)

Regards, John
THX, staying positive helps make the experience more pleasant!!...I understand the challenges having two daughters myself who are growing fast and a very busy work life. Fortunately I have an extremely understanding wife who lets me play with cars as a way to reduce stress and a good set of tools - being somewhat of a type A person also forces me to fill every minute of my day (and night) with some sort of activity so progress is usually pretty good (although this project was interrupted by two trips back to France due to family issues). BTW, stay warm - working in the cold in no fun - I'll take 40-41C for months at a time (Texas summers) over freezing!

Quick Reply: Let the fun begin!