Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the fun begin!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More progress from weekend work

Well I have been waiting for parts from AutoAtlanta for two weeks (found out today that a notice holding up my order had gone to Junk Mail) so progressing slowly. I have a few things that came in from Paragon which I installed this week (after a fun track day - it rained!!! - with my other car).

New Lambda sensor - not sure if the old one is still good, however a cheap maintenance item (although I got the OEM one which is more costly - you can get them for $25 if you splice). Running the wire is a little bit of the challenge considering the holding clip location.

After ruining 4-5 of the 12 point bolts, I was able to extract the axle and get to the trashed CV boots, now waiting on parts to reassemble.

When I disassembled the valve cover, one of the sensors crumbled

Instead of replacing the sensor which is still good, I was able to locate the connectors and do an R&R - same for the cam hall sensor.

Completed the HID light replacement - the difference is very significant.

Finally, the "piece de resistance" all the coolant hoses. Several are very straight forward but the heater hoses are quite a challenge!!

...now it's sit and wait till the rest of the parts come in!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM
carbongecko
Rennlist Member

great job so far and i look forward to your continued updates i am in the same boat engine wise, half taken apart no way to drive it currently.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AFAIK, none of the 944 series will unlock from the inside if the **** is down. Might be that later ones do, but neither my '84 nor my '86 do.

From the corrosion I'm seeing, someone must have driven the car pretty regularly on salt? or is this a Houston car?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 PM
LP944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to see the end result of your rebuild, shes going to be great! Will you be returning it to stock or giving the car a bit more umph somewhere?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

All those parts looks like my garage floor. I'm doing the oil pan gasket this week and of course the whole front suspension gets pulled. Good part is that I can replace all the suspension dust covers, tie rod ends, con rod bearings, and finding out from below where all the other leaks are coming from, i.e., camshaft front seals and air/oil separator. Where did the car come from? Too bad you had to rebuild it before you get to drive it more. You'll love it when it's done.

At some point during all this rebuild it becomes personal. When I see this detailed an online journal of Porsche repair/rebuilds I often wonder if it's use is more like talking to a therapist, getting our frustrations out in the open.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 10-11-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I know about PO's lieing about the true condition. I bought a 86 Turbo that I later found out had a socket in the J Boot(killed the turbo) needed all new suspension(still working on) and needed a few other odds and ends. My personal favorite. The car doesn't leak a drop, well my garage floor shows more than a drop. Not sure if its the PS or actual engine oil.

My body was in good shape until I hit the garage. Don't want to talk about it.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944Ross
AFAIK, none of the 944 series will unlock from the inside if the **** is down. Might be that later ones do, but neither my '84 nor my '86 do.

From the corrosion I'm seeing, someone must have driven the car pretty regularly on salt? or is this a Houston car?
Thanks for the tip on the door lock, I was a little confused as everything in the lok appears to be functional. It was a Florida car that sat on a lot next to the beach, on side of the car (driver) has more rust than the other - must have been the orientation to sea breeze!!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
....When I see this detailed an online journal of Porsche repair/rebuilds I often wonder if it's use is more like talking to a therapist, getting our frustrations out in the open.
You are so right...feels good to share with others who have "been there, done that" - definitely a catharsis !!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
dontnow
Pro

Note: The axle bolts are supposed to be one time use only. So as irritating as it was to get them off, at least they needed to go anyway.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I order a set of new headlights with HiLo HID. Also a little hassle to locate the ballast but was able to tuck them under the overflow tank and the windshield washer fluid tank. I find that upgrade well worthwhile and do on all my older cars. HIDs draw less amps and it's a safety improvement.

Have you done a HID conversion like this before? How much were the lenses?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Also curious about the HID's. Where did you order those? It looks like they are projector units in the picture but wanted to be sure.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
Also curious about the HID's. Where did you order those? It looks like they are projector units in the picture but wanted to be sure.
Ebay special, in the past I bought Euro Hella lenses and a HID set up separately (about $250). I found the turn key package for only $60 so I gave it a shot (see Ebay link below). The quality is average, there are no instructions (not rocket surgery so anyone with basic electrical understanding can manage) and requires some minor mods. Again considering the price - well worth it. Usual disclaimer, not affiliated with seller, results may vary, may not be legal in your state, might blow up your car etc...

Ebay Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/190574372392...ht_1796wt_1413
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice to see a car brought back from disrepair. Serious misrepresentation by the dealer though!!
Best of luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow cool build, My friend had an S2 awhile ago. Nice rides something to be said for N/A motors. Yeah that air cleaner is a work of art...not! What were they thinking...the Tiger Tank of air filters!

Sorry you got kinda screwed on the deal but cool to see you running with it.

Re the coil overs, yeah they are a little over kill on the street but..it's about a 2 hour job vs re indexing the torsion bars! You can run the coil overs with the T bars or just delete them all together.

The rust, is kinda weird? Do you try tracing the vin? II think it must have been sitting in water for the rust to be where it is? But I'm just guessing.

Cool build, have fun!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

All things considered, You'll be a near expert on 944's when you're finished. At least an authority. I got my Oil pan gasket installed after 2 days of meticulous preparation. I'm hoping that all of this detail will bear fruit and I wont' have to do this again. Then again, on to other projects.

Quick Reply: Let the fun begin!