Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the fun begin!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
Thanks so much for the detailed pics!
( Looking forward to F1 racing next year in Austin? Forza Ferrari!)

Very troubling that a car with many corroded components was marketed as a creampuff...

Look forward to the asking vs selling price data if you'd oblige..
Subscribing.. Cheers!
Looking forward to F1 too, exciting to have F1 back in the US. The car was priced at $11K with 92K miles (not cream puff but presented very well because the dealer used pictures from an original sale two year prior!!), sold $9.5K delivered - bought it sight unseen . Dealer stamps till 75K miles and other records that don't add up. Considering what I have seen offered and what I got, I feel I overpaid (happened before). However, it's less about the price but the shear misrepresentation that has me fuming...
Old 09-27-2011, 01:00 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagbuff
Considering what I have seen offered and what I got, I feel I overpaid (happened before). However, it's less about the price but the shear misrepresentation that has me fuming...
For consolation, I've been there. Either you cut your losses or make the decision right. I think you are on the right path towards the latter. The fact that you are willing to work on it yourself helps a great deal.

Good looking Stradale...
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Coolest Ferrari owner ever
Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
Coolest Ferrari owner ever
Is it because he has a 944 or because he can wrench? ;-)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Is it because he has a 944 or because he can wrench? ;-)
Both! Ferrari owners are supposed to be rich people who never drive their Ferraris
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice work there. You are way faster than I am. Plus on my Turbo there are little bits everywhere that I need to be sure how they came out. I did get the complete 7 volumes of the workshop manual and it mostly helps.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Both!
:-)

There are some who own a 944 by choice and can probably afford more expensive cars. There are also some Ferrari owners who wrench on their cars.

WRT driving, there are some who regularly drive their F cars but your observation is correct and less miles seem to be put in such cars.

To OP, good luck with 944 fun project.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Both! Ferrari owners are supposed to be rich people who never drive their Ferraris
LOL, you forgot old and bold I do my best to dispel the cliche as my CS has 41K miles with 50% track time. BTW, I bought the 944 because I think is a great handling car and great value ...well maybe not this one
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

LOL, you forgot old and bold I do my best to dispel the cliche as my CS has 41K miles with 50% track time. BTW, I bought the 944 because I think is a great handling car and great value ...well maybe not this one
Thats some serious track time, I'll be sure to stay out of your way if I ever make it to a track day. What kind of upkeep does it need? Thats the other thing you always hear about ferraris, things like replacing entire ignition systems every 10k miles, which I'm sure is overblown by the time I hear it.

As far as cliche's go, I don't think you'll have to worry about the oh so common "he bought a 944na because he can't afford a real porsche"
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck and progress on your S2 rebuild. I would be sorely PO'd at the misrepresentation as well! Beautiful Ferrari BTW!

I had owned a 89' S2 for a month before it caught fire (fuel reg hose misted fuel at alternator).
It was a well maintained car and I drove it from South Dakota back to IL when I lived there with zero probs. Too bad it was a sweet car.

Here is a pic of my cam cover for another approach.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Thats some serious track time, I'll be sure to stay out of your way if I ever make it to a track day. What kind of upkeep does it need? Thats the other thing you always hear about ferraris, things like replacing entire ignition systems every 10k miles, which I'm sure is overblown by the time I hear it.

As far as cliche's go, I don't think you'll have to worry about the oh so common "he bought a 944na because he can't afford a real porsche"
..I've owned the "real" porsche and while I respect the lineage and massive engineering feat to make it handle considering the less than favorable weight distribution, I am quite impressed with the balance of the 944 and really don't care what other think

As for maintenance on the CS, it's really not that different than the 944 - belt service is critical, parts can be pricey (just like Porsche), CCM rotors and pads are ridiculously expensive. Having owned several older F-cars that require full engine out every 3 years or 30K miles (LOL) for belt change (TR, 348 and 355) you feel that you spend more time R&R than driving - especially when you have more than one!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charlie944
Best of luck and progress on your S2 rebuild. I would be sorely PO'd at the misrepresentation as well! Beautiful Ferrari BTW!

I had owned a 89' S2 for a month before it caught fire (fuel reg hose misted fuel at alternator).
It was a well maintained car and I drove it from South Dakota back to IL when I lived there with zero probs. Too bad it was a sweet car.

Here is a pic of my cam cover for another approach.
I Like the smooth satin black look, was the lettering painted after?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Like the smooth satin black look, was the lettering painted after?
The red lettering was painted after the black. You could do it in reverse order too. Paint the red lettering 1st and let dry then put some vaseline or chapstick on the lettering and then shoot it all black. Then wipe off and voila.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Another weekend and some progress. I have order many new parts from Paragon and AutoAtlanta which should arrive today, and several other odds and ends from FleeBay.

The suspensions were shot so I was able to source a set of good used M030 shocks for the front and back. I hesitated thinking I should really spring (pun intended) for the Paragon coil over system, however; this will never be a true track car so the M030 appears to be a good compromise - now need to replace the rear torsion bars with larger diameter - if anyone has please PM.

From the same vendor I got a genuine Bosch reman starter motor as the current one was making a lot of noise.

I spent most Saturday doing clean up on parts and the underbody using a powerwasher judiciously the engine and trany are spotless. Make reassembly so much more pleasant. I also took time to clean up the suspension components.

REnnbay came through with the ball joint boot - a little bit of a hassle to install - and the brackets for the sway bar. I also received SS brakes lines from Paragon - strange as I placed that order AFTER the main order...

While the uprights cleaned up nicely, the dust shields are rotted through - thankful FeeBay has some.

I order a set of new headlights with HiLo HID. Also a little hassle to locate the ballast but was able to tuck them under the overflow tank and the windshield washer fluid tank. I find that upgrade well worthwhile and do on all my older cars. HIDs draw less amps and it's a safety improvement.

While I was sorting ballast location, I decided to pull part of the nose clip as inspection showed surface rust. BTW, I have to say it's the weirdess set up for an air filter replacement

Rust is localized and surface

Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

After some wire bush and rust treatment, the section is ready for prep and paint.

I also got a chip for the ECU which was an easy R&R -

While in the 'hood, I removed the right door panel as the speakers was crackling when tested and the door won't open from the inside if locked. I didn't find anything obviously wrong with the lock, but will keep digging. Glad to see the vapor barrier somewhat intact.

The speakers on the other hand don't look healthy. I am going to think this one over, I am pretty picky about stereos but I don't know if I want to bother going high end in a convertible. Anyone have suggestions for good replacements that will fit the current openings - the car has the Stereo option with the 3 ways in the doors....and the EQ (flash back to the 80's)

To wrap up the weekend I cleaned and treated the seats (at least the leather parts) with Leatherique - results are quite good, bolster doesn't show too much wear.

Quick Reply: Let the fun begin!