Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/T - need advice on ucoat it color and experiences

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 AM
paluck
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/T - need advice on ucoat it color and experiences

Hi team,
I'm going to install a ucoat it floor epoxy to my new garage.
I'm looking for experiences using floor coatings - particularly in regards to color choices.
I could go safe with a light grey gloss coating. It's probably the most functional, but red and blue look pretty sweet - then there's also the optional flecks.
My musings so far have been:
* 2 car Garage has no natural light except the front garage door - so don't want it to be too dark (I'm going to outfit it with a dizzying array of florescent fixtures though)
* White just sounds like it would look filthy in 2 seconds
* Will be parking leaky Porsches on it, but not expected to see enough fluids I need to worry about slipperiness when wet
* Flecks look cool, but when hunting for dropped parts, will it make my life miserable?
* Ditto with the grey - will it blend in with every washer that sits on it?
* I wish they had a light blue or something like that that would be functional, but a little more stylish
Old 09-25-2011, 12:19 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Rustolum gray epoxy on my floor. Doubled the flaks. Looked great for a couple of years,then started to wear off. All my fault. I only one coated it an had a few areas that I didn't prep quite right. FOLLOW the directions and you should be good. Drips and spills clean up great,the flecks help hide the bad spots on the surface. Next year I'll re-coat it and do it right this time.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:07 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to www.garagejournal.com and look under flooring.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:08 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the flooring link... http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20
Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 AM
CraigL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did my new floor with UCoat light gray / pacific flakes / gloss finish and textured surface. Fantastic results. Watch the outgassing during application. The fumes are significant for a 24 hours as it cures.

The flakes make finding small dropped parts difficult. Nuts, screws, washers ... a broom is your best friend.

I ordered extra flakes for my application. Somehow ended up with 8 containers and only used 2 on a 40 x 30 foot garage. If you are willing to pay for shipping, I would consider sending you a few containers of Pacific flakes for free. The containers are light because the flakes are some sort of plastic. PM me if you are interested
Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I put UCoat It on my garage floor summer '10. I went with light gray, fleks, and gloss coat. I also put down a vinyl Porsche crest in the center. There is a write up and pictures in the October 10 Chesapeake PCA newsletter:

http://www.pcachs.org/patter10-10.pdf

So far it has held up really well, and I get a lot of use out of the garage. I'm very please with the product.

A few notes:
1. I put a lot of effort into doing the prep work, including renting some kind of floor grinder thingy for a day.
2. I put down the non-slip stuff and went overboard with it. It is very hard to see when you throw it down, and I put down too much. No big deal, but go easy on the stuff if you use it.
3. I had great timing with the weather--a week of low humidity days in the 70s. That may have helped.

Best wishes with the project. I'm very happy that I did it. Clean up is now a cinch.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 AM
paluck
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone
- Mark the pictures look great. Was that decal special for this type of application? Where did you get it?
And I wasn't intending to put down the anti slip as I was thinking it would just make rolling jacks, welder cart, etc.. over the floor noisier - any input on that.
Craig - thanks for the offer on the flakes - I may take you up on that - the Pacific ones look pretty nice.
I sort of want this to be as functional as possible, so I was leaning towards no flakes.... but it seems to look much nicer with the flakes...
Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paluck
Thanks everyone
- Mark the pictures look great. Was that decal special for this type of application? Where did you get it?
And I wasn't intending to put down the anti slip as I was thinking it would just make rolling jacks, welder cart, etc.. over the floor noisier - any input on that.
The decal is just a vinyl decal. I can't recall where I got it. I laid it over the last color coat, under the clear coat.

The no-slip is just a bunch of little granules. I can't say they make the floor "noiser" that I can appreciate. My jack makes a lot of noise when I roll it regardless. It does make the floor a bit more difficult to mop. A rope mop gets snagged on the granules. If I were doing it over again, I would do without the no-slip stuff.

Perhaps my biggest mistake, in hindsight, was that I didn't think to avoid putting no-slip where I put the decal. I spent about an hour on my knees with a pin trying to smooth out the decal and get rid of all the air bubbles.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
paluck
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone - I'm totally stealing your designs
I'm going with the light grey with flecks. Clear gloss coat (but I plan no anti-skid). I like Mark's crest idea, so I'm going to do that as well- just ordered a large vinyl one.
I'm wondering if I should do any other decals as well.. something functional or just cool looking?. like marking off the outer perimeter where I'll be putting floor shelves , or divide the garage in half with a floor line?....
imbed instructions for torsion bar reindexing calculations?.... ;-)
murder scene chalk outline?
ruler measuring out 1 foot increments? that one may actually be useful....
any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

A friend of mine suggested naked lady silhouette, but my garage is a "family friendly" garage.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It is all in the prep work, you should spend the better part of a day prepping the surface, and about 45 minutes actually rolling the epoxy. You can also use a fine sand grit instead of the flakes. I used gray with a similar garage, and honestly, any color makes finding anything on the floor easier than a bare concrete floor and it reflects light much better so the garage will appear brighter. Best thing you can do to a garage. If you do not prep properly, you will have tires pull up the epoxy within 6 months. My 2nd time around, I sanded the entire floor with a 4.5" angle grinder and sanding discs. Was buying my second round of epoxy after a couple of years and checking out at the store and ran into a contractor....he said if you open the pores up with a sander, that stuff will last forever....if you dont....it won't last 6 months. Night and day difference.

PS...the sand grit is hell on your knees when it is new, eventually it wears down a little. Makes it somewhat unpleasant when crawling around under a car if working on jackstands. Even with the flakes, when the floor is wet, walk lightly, it will still be slippery. You can buy extra flakes at home depot.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I used the rustoleum kit on mine. I did it in my last house and the one we just moved into. I used the gray color in the first house and used the paint chips. It looked fine, I only had one issue with peeling where my trucks right front tire used to sit. It wasn't bad tho.

I did the current house with the tan color and did not use the paint chips this time. The tan color is a lot brighter and makes the garage look more inviting IMO. And it's easier to see small stuff when you drop it on the ground. I think it looks cleaner without the paint chips.

I also had an issue in the last house with the paint chips. I had brake fluid sitting on the floor overnight. When I wiped it up the next day, it took the paint color from the paint chips with it and made a big mess. It smeared the paint color all over the area I was wiping.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
paluck
Rennlist Member

Doc - you sanded the whole floor with an angle grinder?
That must have taken a while. What sort of grit and how much surface do you need to take off?
I didn't want to bother renting any machine.. I wonder if just running a belt sander over it for 30 minutes would be time well spent...?

Quick Reply: O/T - need advice on ucoat it color and experiences