Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011 | 01:40 PM
Jagbuff
Instructor

Default Newbie with questions

After several hiatus I am back in the Porsche ownership with a Guards red 1990 944S2 Cab. The acquisition of the car has been very unpleasant with a number of bad surprises and shenanigans that one would expect from a South Florida used car dealer. While I can take some blame for not doing enough homework on the car and specifically the dealer (impulse buy), it is now for the legal system to decide.

Regardless, it's not going to detract me from having fun with the car which I bought to 1/ enjoy some top down driving (if it ever cools down in Texas) 2/ occasional track time and 3/ teach my daughter to drive. While a coupe would be better choice for 2/ it would not work for 3/ and I already have a pretty hard core track car. However, with 2/ comes some questions about suspensions, set up, and other prep items which I haven't been able to locate for the Cab from the "Search function", and apologize in advance if this stuff appears redundant. As a context, I plan to use the car 30% on track where I am a member (not very high speed - so medium brake use) mostly for fun and instructing my daughter/ friends.

Suspension: I am eyeing the Koni cup 1 coil over set up that Paragon has for sale, is it too much for a cab, if not what would be a recommended spring rate for front and back? Any other options or suggestions?

Setup: Any recommendation on a basic performance setup (Camber caster, toe) and ride height? I have plan to corner weight the car after
Brakes: I plan to stick with the current system which feels quite capable, any pads that work well for road and track?
Wheels: The car came with the stock D90 and low end Dunlops, these are probably ok for initial use and plan to move over to Cups (I saw plenty of threads on that topic)
Stiffness: I would like to install a roll cage for safety reason and to stiffen the car up. Any recommendation that are bolt in still allow the top to go up? PCA approved would be a plus). Are there other braces available to tighten things up?

As I get to know the car and all it's quirks, (it will get full fluid, belt seals, etc... service since records appear to be fakes) - I am sure to have more questions, thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 09-27-2011 | 09:43 PM
racer
Drifting

imho, the "cup" supspensions are awfully stiff for street use (then again, I drive on potholed northeast and midatlantic roads).

Before all the fancy suspensions showed up, I recall 250# lowering springs, Koni Adjustable shocks and M030 sways being a very nice compromise set up for street/ax/track. Also, since your car is a cab, I would think going TOO stiff would make the cowl shake to no end.

It a shame you already bought yours as JSAinDC (a poster out here) had his 944S2 cab set up with the above reference suspension, as well as some Sparco seats and Bolt in rollbar. White over Blue.

iirc, either Safety Devices or Autopower makes a rollbar for the cab. I imagine they are both PCA compliant. Recall though that most pca regions, if you plan to run harnesses, need seats to work properly. Stock seats don't do it.. so budget for something "track specific".

Hmm.. seems like your S2 is becoming another track car doesn't it

The 944S2 uses the same brakes as the 944 Turbo, so they are quite good to begin with. Changing to a High Temp fluid (ATE Blue/Gold, SRF etc) will help.

Pads are a compromise. What works great on the track under high temps is often noisy/dusty on the street. What works great on the street is never quite enough on track. HOWEVER, since the calipers are so easy to access and the pads so easy to change, you might consider swapping back and forth. Beyond that, it comes down to what you will live with.

Quick Reply: Newbie with questions