Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche douchebags..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speedfreak that is one damn cute cat, nice post. Black ops, I agree that a Porsche is not suitable for an urban environment. Any car with low profile tires is pointless, MB, BMW, Porsche, Corvette, etc.... everyone in Chicago who needs a car from point A to point B is a douchebag from my perspective, a bicycle is a superior form of transportation. I commute 25 miles a day, 12.5 miles one way rain or shine. I work on all of my cars, but I don't judge others if they haven't had the experience, maybe they would like to work on their cars but don't know how. Don't hate on someone if they don't wave back, they might not notice you. Owners of newer cars might have different appreciation for a Porsche, perhaps styling or luxury features so let them enjoy, try not to judge. 87 944C, sorry to hear about a 930 owner being a douche, I would have kicked him in the teeth.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for car clubs I have been in many since the 70's. Some are great and some not so much. PCA in my region it's very good. The past prez has a 968 cab tip and he raced a 968 tip coupe for autocross. and at a meet there is 3 or 4 water coolers. We even had a 914 at the last club meeting.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to chime in on this thread. I had recently attended the local Porschefest with my 87 NA. 90% newer Boxsters, Caymans and 911s. The sponsor of the show put me in the showing with a 2012 Cayman, 2010 Cayman and a bunch of 2010-2012 Boxsters. Of course mine got the lowest scores, but I looked at each of them and asked what their Porsche would look like in 24 years.

But rarely will I ever cruise past a new 911 or such and get a return wave, hardly ever, unless of course they had been previous 944 owner to begin with. I saw a 2010 911 pull into a local gas station (very rare in my parts) and started speaking with the 66 year old man who had the car. He was enamored with mine and even offered trading off for a day since he missed his 944. I have yet to call him.

We had a local Porsche Fun Run up here in New England back in April 2011 and was joined by a local 993 owner. Cool guy and just wanted to hang with other Porsche fanatics. We certainly had no issues with that (except that he had the radar detector and ran 4th in the pack - should've taken the lead).

I say anyone with money can buy a new Porsche, but it takes way more dedication to own an older Porsche and restore it. I think it sets us above all the rest. And since I just bought an 87 951 3 days ago, it just keeps getting better.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM
carbongecko
Rennlist Member

man i got to agree with blackop. there are only two types the new and the old, old due there own work for two reasons, one they love it, two no one wants to deal with there cars messed up engine. the new are gadget fiends who love the abilties of the newer computer controlled cars where every thing is done on a screen.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:31 PM
carbongecko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uicnick
I commute 25 miles a day, 12.5 miles one way rain or shine. I work on all of my cars, but I don't judge others if they haven't had the experience, maybe they would like to work on their cars but don't know how. Don't hate on someone if they don't wave back, they might not notice you. Owners of newer cars might have different appreciation for a Porsche, perhaps styling or luxury features so let them enjoy, try not to judge. 87 944C, sorry to hear about a 930 owner being a douche, I would have kicked him in the teeth.
i envy your commute i commute 160 miles a day, 80 south,80 north, rain or shine thankfully it is in san diego so mostly sunshine, plus 75miles of a one way is freeway so it goes by quick.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
This is precisely why I have no interest in PCA. Most regions couldn't care less about you unless you have a newer model 911, or very old, and restored, 356 (but you should also have a newer 911 to keep up appearances). Go into the Porscheplatz hospitality tent at any given ALMS event, and the amount of Porsche wisdom in there can be collected within a speak and spell. Sure, there's going to be some true enthusiasts, but most of them have never turned a wrench on a P-car in their life. Hell, most don't even own any tools. Screw 'em.
not my experiences with pca. what i like most about the people i meet at pca is the lack of holier than thou. nobody cares what you do during the week, it is about cars - all kinds of cars. i qualify this with the fact that i have been to only one coucours and that was at a parade.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dpoul34

I say anyone with money can buy a new Porsche, but it takes way more dedication to own an older Porsche and restore it.
This is more along the lines of what I was talking about....Also, the people who act like these cars are made of glass. They have big brakes and race clutches for a reason....I could afford a newer Porsche but I'm not interested. They ruled the 80's....a cultural icon. I want a car that very few people have...and like making it 'mine"....restoring it is cathartic to me.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a good one. I was told by a 911 guy that he wants to race me on the track with his 964. The guy who help build my car told him, it was not a good idea and before he loses a lot of money, at least take a ride in my car. So I strap him in and away we go. I hit the gas, the car takes off, literally. When I hit 2nd, the car just off the ground and we come down somewhat sideways. I look at him, his face is white. I stop the car there, turn around and go back to the shop. The only words he uttered were, I am a beleiver and he will not go on the track. Gee, I guess I scared him a bit. Funny, this was before I did the Mtune and many other mods when the car had dynoed 275RWHP.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy a BMW and drive it around for a few months.....your opinion of Porsche guys will greatly change, lol. You will have different strokes for different folks in all groups.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Buy a BMW and drive it around for a few months.....your opinion of Porsche guys will greatly change, lol. You will have different strokes for different folks in all groups.
When I'm in KC, I never see Porsches. Until I was close to your shop..
Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
When I'm in KC, I never see Porsches. Until I was close to your shop..
Oh lord they are all over the place, not like California or something like that, but there is a fair share here. We have a pretty active group of PCA (and KCWS) considering we are in the midwest. But within that group we also have guys who only wrench, guys who only shine, and guys who only track......After dealing with customers for years, I have found everyone gets their kicks out of their car in different ways. I can't imagine not having the car on the track, but others would never take it to the track. I hate having to clean the car, others like to sit in their garage, have a beer, and look at the car and polish every nook of the car until it is perfect. They get enjoyment out of it in different ways. Some guys just buy a Porsche to say they have a Porsche....that's fine too...when it is used up, they likely trade it off on something else without any thought. You don't have to be an enthusiast to own a Porsche (or any make for that matter). We've owned a Jeep for 12 years now and it has seen a hell of a lot of off roading and hunting....you've seen the bumper stickers "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"......12 years later, I still don't understand and couldn't care less, lol. I know, hard to understand when talking about it on Rennlist....where most everyone is an enthusiast

Oh and it is hard to understand that 90% of the people out there think a car is nothing more than an appliance. We are a small 10%, and then divide that among the various makes of cars......
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

The only thing I hate it telling people I own a "Porsche." Esp the I pronounce the "e" at the end(girlfriend rolls eyes). They look at me like I'm going to be a douche just because I own one. Not knowing that I paid a lot less for my car than they did for theirs. They're always suprised if I tell them how much my 944 costs. It's hard to explain it's not about owning a Porsche it's about the experiance and thrill of driving one of the best handling best looking cars ever made. Even if it is an $$ nightmare sometimes.

Quick Reply: Porsche douchebags..