Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a mechanic in the southeast!- i want to turbo my NA!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011 | 04:25 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Default Need a mechanic in the southeast!- i want to turbo my NA!

... To possibly pull the 3 liter and put in a 2.5 turbo. (pending availability of the turbo motor)

Keeping the 6 speed and ac. Basically I would have the turbo motor shipped to you and then drive up there in the 968 to be left behind while it's being worked on.

Also, Looking for a quote range so I know what to expect. I'm also looking to trade or outright sell the variocam motor. Let me know!

Last edited by sydneyman; 09-14-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2011 | 07:08 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

To possibly pull the 3 liter and put it in CyCloNe!'s car. (pending CyCloNe! gives me his turbo motor)

Fixed it
Old 09-13-2011 | 07:33 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a deal. You could do the exchange at my house it is about half way for both of you. Chris, could then visit his old turbo car.
Old 09-13-2011 | 08:46 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

alright we got a plan, lets get the ball rollin!

seriously though, im open to any offers that might get me a little closer to where i want to be. (which is the 951 engine in my 968) Im more concerened with up to date maintenance but tasteful performance upgrades wouldn't scare me away!

arthro- how she running? im going to have to up and visit you one of these days regardless of turbo swap logistics!
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:48 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Come on up. I need to flare some brake lines, put the suspension back on, get the exhaust fabbed up and its a runner. I am one good weekend away but I can't get the weekend free to work.
Old 09-14-2011 | 11:00 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

bump! now ideally i'd like someone close by so i could help and learn but thats not a requirement! any shops that know these cars well in the southeast?
Old 09-14-2011 | 12:54 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

So I've looked into a little more and have spoken with a few guys who saw the thread, and im coming to terms with what this would involve... I think the easier route would be to buy a 951 and drive it when I want boost... (and cheaper...)

I'll still be on the lookout for anyone interested to do the opposite conversion as that would make this worthwhile... I'm beginning to understand why a supercharger at 4500 bucks is a steal...
Old 09-14-2011 | 01:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Chris.. you know you have friends who can pull this off.. and might even know one willing to put forth the effort in trade for that 968 motor that is coming out.. just sayin...

Major choice is do you want to go stand alone w/knock monitoring and control or use the 951 DME / KLR.. for the DME route you would also need the engine harness for the motor, or be prepared to find out how much having one built to the car will cost..

Then there is the exhaust... but again, you might know someone who has all the bits you might need (short of the motor) ON HAND to pull off the swap.. and even custom tune a DME chip to suit your desired level of boost / fuel / fun meter... AND he should be moving into a location close to your old home with a nice big 2+ car garage in a week or so....
Old 09-14-2011 | 01:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

should be a fun project.

and when yerr done, i wanna race ya and endanger the public.
Old 09-14-2011 | 01:50 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

If you do go that route, I still have the headers and motor. If you need any of those parts let me know.
Old 09-14-2011 | 01:55 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Oh how you gentlemen taunt me with your well wishes and can-do attitude... Hmmm much pondering to do...
Old 09-15-2011 | 12:20 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
Oh how you gentlemen taunt me with your well wishes and can-do attitude... Hmmm much pondering to do...
Well, I got a call today, I got the house in ashland..

In an oversized 2 car garage there will shortly be:
Spare headers
Spare Crossover
Spare DME
Spare KLR
Spare 87 engine harness
Spare 26-6 turbo
Spare turbo to tail pipe exhaust
Spare Fuel rail
Spare intercooler
Spare factory hard pipes (with a really nice set of silicone couplers I cant remember where I got them from...)

I am using the engine and associated turbo engine bits (such as intake and accessories, but if you source a long block with an intake we can get her done!)

You COULD be an engine and clutch away from a really nice turbo 2.5L 968!
Old 09-15-2011 | 12:22 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

just thought I would add, I have a spare set of wheels, spare set of front and rear seats, and a few other spares laying around too!
Old 09-15-2011 | 12:34 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Well, I got a call today, I got the house in ashland..

In an oversized 2 car garage there will shortly be:
Spare headers
Spare Crossover
Spare DME
Spare KLR
Spare 87 engine harness
Spare 26-6 turbo
Spare turbo to tail pipe exhaust
Spare Fuel rail
Spare intercooler
Spare factory hard pipes (with a really nice set of silicone couplers I cant remember where I got them from...)

I am using the engine and associated turbo engine bits (such as intake and accessories, but if you source a long block with an intake we can get her done!)

You COULD be an engine and clutch away from a really nice turbo 2.5L 968!
congrats! i think you'll be happier a little closer to the big city anyways. at least you knew you had options though!

so all you need to do is hold on to all of these things in your garage just so i can use them in the forseeable-to-distant future!
Old 09-15-2011 | 12:40 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
congrats! i think you'll be happier a little closer to the big city anyways. at least you knew you had options though!

so all you need to do is hold on to all of these things in your garage just so i can use them in the forseeable-to-distant future!
They have been where they are for more than a year... I dont see them going too far any time soon...

BUT, should something come up, I will give you first dibs in a heart beat!

Quick Reply: Need a mechanic in the southeast!- i want to turbo my NA!