Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Clutch Replacement '83 Porsche 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by admiralkhole
Sometimes you have to manipulate the angles of the tt and the engine. It sounds like the shaft isn't going into the pilot bearing. Did you put some grease on the drive shaft? Try pushing the engine up or down slowly while trying work it in.
Great idea! I did put the correct grease on the splines, but you might be right about it being the wrong angle to get into the pilot bearing.

FARA, the transmission is not currently in the car so rotating the tires wouldn't do much! rotating the teeth of the driveshaft is something I've been trying, but with no luck so far.

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Put the clutch slave cylinder on the bell housing and press the clutch pedal---hold it down with a block of wood between the pedal and seat.

This releases the disc and the TT shaft will slide right in.

J_AZ
Seems like a solid plan, but should I be concerned about the clutch sliding down and out of center when I push in the clutch pedal?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutch disc will only move a little--enough for you to get the torque tube in.
The nose of the torque tube holds the disc up but frees the disc to move.

J_AZ
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 PM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

Brilliant, Thanks! I'll give this a try tonight and let you all know how it goes.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 AM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

Default Thank you!

John_az's suggestion was perfect! My slave cylinder is currently disconnected so I used a pry bar to actuate the clutch fork while simultaneously pushing the torque tube into position. Worked like a charm! Cheers!!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 AM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

New headache! The Transmission refuses to fit into position because there is very little space for it to fit between the torque tube bell housing and the spare tire well that sticks down in the rear of the car. It would be no problem if I didn't have to come at an angle to accommodate the gear shift lever. I'm marveling that I managed to get it out of it's spot, and now getting it back in seems impossible. Thoughts anyone? I'm so frustrated I'm contemplating taking a cutting wheel to the spare tire well to get more space and just fiber glassing over it when I'm done, but I'd prefer to avoid cutting holes in the car...Thoughts anyone?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the Transaxle/Torque Tube Coupler ---Slid all the way to the rear of the transaxle? Both bolts removed?

Are you having trouble with the plastic shift rod protector?

Here is a my discussion on how to keep the plastic protection tube in place.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/7373671-post2.html

Original complete post:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post7374258

Your comment about cutting the rear spare tire well has been repeated often. After a lot of reason and sore muscles----it will fit!

J_AZ

Quick Reply: DIY Clutch Replacement '83 Porsche 944 NA