Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No good 944's left?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mom's old and has cracks and a leaky rack. 944's are no different.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^

That is not such a good analogy but keep looking. You will find one.

North of 10,000 at least for a Turbo is where the good ones live. Generally the more north the better at least if it is not too heavily modded.

Heck I saw a Broadfoot motor the other day NEW on ebay for $12,000. Buy a $5,000 car with decent cosmetics, replace the motor with it, replace ALL the rubber goods and BRAKES and then go out and go FAST.

Sometimes getting one already done is the way to go. Mine is a nice car. However both Porsche and UPS know me by name from parts, parts, and parts orders and deliveries. And then there are tools. Sure many guys can build one with a screwdriver and a crescent wrench. But in general you will need tools. You will need space to work. Then space to keep all the tools. It can get up there. Dont let anybody tell you that it cant. It can and it will.

Look at many of the jobs done here on the board. It can take 6 months or a year to find the car. Then a year to get it right. It is not that unusal.

It just takes time and money. The more of one you have the less of the other will be required.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default it ain't that bad....

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Problem is people are too cheap, especially in the na market. I have been trying to sell a stock, well maintained, perfect bodywork seats and dash, no issues, not guards red 89 car for three years. It's also a garage kept FL car and a perfect example of a 944. Worth every penny of the $6500 asking price. Yet, the best offer received was $4800....

by all means keep the car. just keep in mind that all of our cars are incredibly upside down. the average turbo owner is way worse off than you. i have significant money in my 968, but i can never get much more than a fraction for the small fortune that will soon be in my car.

$6,500 ??..... well, you've got some competition out there..... a garaged, pristine 'Florida' 968 in freshly resprayed Polar Silver (due to a replaced fender and paint matching issue), black interior, 993 all leather seats lowered suspension, and 17" wheels recently sold in a local sale in Sarasota for $6,700..... i'm wondering if you've settled on $6,500 because you know it cost you well over $6,500 to own it and keep it maintained the last few years... and all that, just to keep the car valued near $4,500~$4,800.... problem is, if you keep it two more years, it could cost you $1000 + to keep up, and by that time it could be down to like, $3,700, so therein lies your dilema....

Originally Posted by BlackD150

Its like a cycle, upkeep, restoration, rebuild.

944s aren't anywhere near good investments unless you keep it for a very long time. and that's why you buy a 968. over time it may cost less to drive,, could conceivably keep it's value up a bit more, and it's a lot more enjoyable to keep for life.... and when the engine finally dies, you still have a very nice car for the incoming V8 chevy swap and supercar context.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

and that Florida Polar Silver's interior was amazing.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
$6,500 ??..... well, you've got some competition out there..... a garaged, pristine 'Florida' 968 in freshly resprayed Polar Silver (due to a replaced fender and paint matching issue), black interior, 993 all leather seats lowered suspension, and 17" wheels recently sold in a local sale in Sarasota for $6,700.....
Wow I'm no expert but that sounds like a hell of a deal for a 968.

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Look at many of the jobs done here on the board. It can take 6 months or a year to find the car. Then a year to get it right. It is not that unusal.
Very true. It took me a while to find mine. And when I bought it, a lot of the problem areas had already been taken care of... freshened motor, rebuilt trans, suspension already done, etc. A few things needed some love and maintenance but overall it was an $11k car and I think that was a fair price (even now after I know these cars a lot better.) That said I've still sunk a TON of money into it over my time owning it. I'd say it was finally "right" after I pulled the motor last winter for a massive "while you're in there" project to fix a leaky RMS.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM
josephm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techartisan

You know what I hate worse than seeing 20+ year old car that needs some cosmetic work.....ALL THE CRACKHEAD lookieloos that want to test drive every Porsche they see on CL....with no intention of ever really buying. If you want 100% perfect condition...buy a NEW car....in 20 years all its plastic will be embrittled and cracking....and you can pick up the bitching where you left off.

Love the attitude. Thanks! For the record I've owned two Porsche's (944S & 968) So I might know a thing or two about them.

I haven't been on Renn list for a while. Now I remember why.

Enjoy.

Joseph J Malez
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by josephm
Love the attitude. Thanks! For the record I've owned two Porsche's (944S & 968) So I might know a thing or two about them.

Your welcome.
Owning a couple of cars doesnt buy you any respect....you are just as likely to know jack about them as you are to be an expert....save the tired lines for someone who cares.
Ive had a few wives, doesnt mean Im an expert on women. But kind of like a 20+ year old sportscar....I dont expect a 30+ year old woman to be factory fresh either......few cracks here and there....bit of wear in the seat from previous drivers....but ultimately still a good ride...as long as your willing to put in the maintenance work.

So you only come back to rennlist every few months to whine about dash cracks? Buy a car, we'd all be happy to help you find a nice replacement dash. But you cant love a ride and hate it at the same time......my exwives can attest to that.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
josephm
Intermediate

Your welcome.
Owning a couple of cars doesnt buy you any respect....you are just as likely to know jack about them as you are to be an expert....save the tired lines for someone who cares.
Ive had a few wives, doesnt mean Im an expert on women. But kind of like a 20+ year old sportscar....I dont expect a 30+ year old woman to be factory fresh either......few cracks here and there....bit of wear in the seat from previous drivers....but ultimately still a good ride...as long as your willing to put in the maintenance work.

So you only come back to rennlist every few months to whine about dash cracks? Buy a car, we'd all be happy to help you find a nice replacement dash. But you cant love a ride and hate it at the same time......my exwives can attest to that.

Grow up. Good bye and good riddance.

Joe
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Who cares about the dash? Just buy a dash cap and be done.

944s are slowly disappearing, but there are still a lot out there. 944Ss, though, were always rare, and thanks to the design flaw in the chain tensioner mount to the head, a lot of them die and get scrapped. If you want a nice 944S, for a decent price, you will be looking for a LONG time.

$2700
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2556356173.html

$9000
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2553596353.html

If you do buy an S, have the tensioner reinforced before it breaks.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:16 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

The plastic dash really isn't that hard to take care off. Garage the car or use a sunshield when parked and use a good quality, non-silicone Protectant once a week. If it's cracked already get a replacement kit from 928leathershop for $300 and get it fixed in half a day. I'm doing my dd soon and I'll post pictures as I go along.

Same applies to the seats and the rest of the interior. Clean and protect! New seat reupholstery kits are again $300 for both seats and another half a days work.

As for paint, if it's just sun faded, your local paint shop will do a wonderful job with a professional buffing and polishing. If you have some dings paintless ding removal is very advanced and effective these days. drcolorchip works wonders for road rash.

All in all you can transform a tired looking 944 in a weekend and with relatively little outlay.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

But you cant love a ride and hate it at the same time......my ex-wives can attest to that...

another turbo owner comes clean !
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
The plastic dash really isn't that hard to take care off. Garage the car or use a sunshield when parked and use a good quality, non-silicone Protectant once a week. If it's cracked already get a replacement kit from 928leathershop for $300 and get it fixed in half a day. I'm doing my dd soon and I'll post pictures as I go along.

Same applies to the seats and the rest of the interior. Clean and protect! New seat reupholstery kits are again $300 for both seats and another half a days work.

As for paint, if it's just sun faded, your local paint shop will do a wonderful job with a professional buffing and polishing. If you have some dings paintless ding removal is very advanced and effective these days. drcolorchip works wonders for road rash.

All in all you can transform a tired looking 944 in a weekend and with relatively little outlay.
Amen to that. Bam, end of topic.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
St3mpy2
AutoX

Enjoy.

Joseph J Malez
You know, joining a web forum and staring out by saying " everybodies 944 sucks because they have cracked dashes" isnt a very effective way to make friends. Just saying.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Grow up. Good bye and good riddance.

Joe
So, could josephm or an admin PLEASE change the title of this thread to:

No good dash's left?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 PM