Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hall sensor on front of engine (back of timing belt/distributor cover)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 AM
944Will
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hall sensor on front of engine (back of timing belt/distributor cover)

Guys,

Can someone please explain the sensor that sits on the back face of the inside timing belt cover - behind the distributor?

The connector and plastic that houses the (hall sensor right?) sensor end of the lead has crumbled to dust leaving the three pins exposed and I have carefully individually insulated them with tape and then wrapped it but my pro tells me that it should be replaced when the belts next get done since they have to come off to get to it.

This sensor is a hall effect sensor right? And if it fails (or the connector causes its signal to drop) it leads to the computer retarding the timing because without it the system can't predict or identify knocking.

My pro put the diagnostic tool on the car and it had no fault memory so it looks like it is working but is there a way I can use a multi or something to see if the sensor is working?

Also what is the sensor measuring? The crank position from the timing belt system?

Cheers for any illumination on this sensor guys thanks!
Will

Last edited by 944Will; 08-22-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts

The sensor is a hall, and works in conjunction with the flywheel (reference) sensor to tell the ECU when #1 piston is coming up on its firing stroke. Since its on the cam and operating at 1/2 engine speed, it 'knows' which of the 4 cycles #1 cylinder is presently operating, and fires the ignition accordingly.

It has nothing to do with knock, but without it the ECU is confused and the engine will not start. BTW, the sensor is accessed from behind the belt, and can be changed without disturbing it.

If the engine is running, the sensor is working.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone had any luck getting the bolts out without taking the cam cover off??
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 AM
SSMKevin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
The sensor is a hall, and works in conjunction with the flywheel (reference) sensor to tell the ECU when #1 piston is coming up on its firing stroke. Since its on the cam and operating at 1/2 engine speed, it 'knows' which of the 4 cycles #1 cylinder is presently operating, and fires the ignition accordingly.

It has nothing to do with knock, but without it the ECU is confused and the engine will not start. BTW, the sensor is accessed from behind the belt, and can be changed without disturbing it.

If the engine is running, the sensor is working.
Thank you.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...with-pics.html

This is a good post from Josh B on the topic (968 depicted but pretty much the same)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
john gill
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello WIll ,

I am assuming that your engine has knock sensors fitted , if so the hall sensor is also used for monitoring knock , ie due to the fact the the ecu will now the firing sequence of the engine ( hall sensor position), it can also then tell which cylinder is knocking and retard accordingly . THe engine should still run without this connected , but would log a fault in the ecu , it will retard the ignition 3 to 6 degrees from memory , in the event of a fault . But sounds like a good idea to replace the whole thing , including the wiring loom plug , all is available from your Bosch distributor , I see you are in Sydnew , Bob WHymms will have all that you need .

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Hall sensor on front of engine (back of timing belt/distributor cover)