Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 944 S2 bolt on aftermarket exhaust? (yes I did a search first :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK So I got my turbo cat back on and sweet jesus this thing sounds awesome!!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't all stock 944 cat backs all straight throw. Meaning the muffler is straight through design like a magnaflow?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an Update: I actually did end up 'Bashing' my cat's guts out, and installing the Dansk Cat back!

Cat was clogged, and already partially broken, Dansk is a Beautiful piece of metal and sounds great. i really enjoy getting on the gas now! It's not too loud, but for a daily driver i would not want it any louder...

Doug we have to get the guys together and share some new exhaust noise! I have been meaning to check out John's new place; this might be a nice drive to take..
Old 10-12-2011, 03:59 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been reading with interest as i have the Dansk cat back too on my s2 cab...
I love it and it looks great, and it fit perfect.
are you guys saying i can remove the cat ( or punch out the guts in lui of a straight pipe ) ? to make this baby a little louder ? the dansk sound is not tooo loud.
are the resonator and cat one piece ?, sorry i cant remember.
super happy with the Dansk
Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Medski
Instructor

I'm looking as well for the right sound for my turbo, I want to keep the cat though. I got a Flowmaster at the moment but i'd like a deeper rumble.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Medski
I'm looking as well for the right sound for my turbo, I want to keep the cat though. I got a Flowmaster at the moment but i'd like a deeper rumble.
Try removing the muffler. The turbo and the cat should provide decent muffling. If you like the sound, have a shop make a pipe to get from the cat outlet to the rear bumper (or other exit point).

I don't have a 951 - but I have three DSMs. They all work great without the muffler and no other mods.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Some Cat Pics!

From top to bottom: This is the Pre-Muffler and Catalytic; (the Exhaust flows thru the Catalytic Material into the Premuffler which absorbs high frequency sound waves; much like a piece of foam over a speaker would do)

This is the interior: First is the Pre-Muffler (that silver shiny material) and then the white Catalytic Material.

This is the interior less the Catalytic Material: There is a couple little chucks stuck to the wall in this picture. The Catalytic is actually 3 or 4 blocks of material that you break through one at a time.

This is a piece of the Catalytic Material; Feels like Ceramic.. The exhaust gases get pushed through those little holes, and the bad gases are cleaned up. But you can see why this would A) Create Back Pressure and B) Absorb Sound waves/ Quiet the exhaust noise

Differences in sound and performance that i noticed:

Sound at idle has more of a tinny noise? or airy noise maybe...? basically it's the high frequency sound waves bouncing off the thin metal walls. However off idle; while driving or accelerating there is no Raspy, Tinny, or Rattling Noises i have heard others complain about.

Sound at higher revs is slightly louder, but not really significantly louder.. In my opinion.

Performance: I noticed smoother and quicker revving... Nothing amazing, I wouldn't call this a Huge Performance Mod. and any improvement i noticed is likely due to removing a Catalytic that had 200k+ miles on it....

Then i installed the Dansk Cat Back: This Muffler is quiet a bit smaller, lighter, and prettier! Almost a shame to put it under the car... The Dansk Muffler Tip is not installed in the pictures unfortunately; but it is actually the same length

Close Up for Size Comparison

The Sound of this muffler has slightly more BASS at both idle and while driving. While cruising it is louder than stock, not a lot, and not really annoying (it is a sports car, not a Lexus)

But when accelerating it is much louder than the stock muffler! and not like a louder cheap sound, but like a compressed growl. there is no rasp, just deep Bass... This is because the tip is not Large like the Coffee Can exhausts that we all love :/

The exhaust system/muffler tip is stock diameter and thus maintains a certain level of back pressure which help maintain a solid sound. This is a 2.5l NA car, not a large displacement or turbo engine...

If i had a shop (not a driveway behind my apartment) i would likely cut out the Cat/Pre-Muffler and install an full pre-muffler. This is because i feel it would tighten up the sound a little, and get rid of the cheap noise at idle i mentioned.
Again this is a Daily Driver, that i would like to keep respectable for long trips, when on dates, and during late nights, but also want it hear the engine when i get on the gas!

Closing remark: I love the sound and look of the new exhaust!

p.s. I did make 'cell phone' videos of each step described here... I just have to upload them -which i will try to do... and actually i have to make a driving video with the Dansk Muffler.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
LP944
Racer

Sounds like I need to trade out my Magnaflow for a Dansk system!
But for an 83 NA should I just get a new cat or replace it with a pre muffler, hence I still need the back pressure.

Also does anyone know where to get tips that dont rust? My tip from LR is already getting some discoloration and hints of rust.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

buy one. nice but quite expensive.

do yourself with proper parts. about 1/2 price.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LP944
Sounds like I need to trade out my Magnaflow for a Dansk system!
But for an 83 NA should I just get a new cat or replace it with a pre muffler, hence I still need the back pressure.

Also does anyone know where to get tips that dont rust? My tip from LR is already getting some discoloration and hints of rust.
Rust? that is strange... even the old exhaust i just removed still had a shiny tip with no rust... (car lived in NY most it's life too)

Your engine is the same as mine... Replacing the Cat or Installing a Pre-Muffler is your choice. As for back pressure just don't go with a larger exhaust and you won't have an issue. Remember most 944's around the world didn't even come with catalytic converters from the factory.

Keep in mind the OEM catalytic converter had a built-in pre-muffler. and A universal Cat will not have this pre-muffler and thus will change the sound of your exhaust...

What is your current setup? and what don't you like about it?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:11 AM
LP944
Racer

Originally Posted by pnbell
Rust? that is strange... even the old exhaust i just removed still had a shiny tip with no rust... (car lived in NY most it's life too)

Your engine is the same as mine... Replacing the Cat or Installing a Pre-Muffler is your choice. As for back pressure just don't go with a larger exhaust and you won't have an issue. Remember most 944's around the world didn't even come with catalytic converters from the factory.

Keep in mind the OEM catalytic converter had a built-in pre-muffler. and A universal Cat will not have this pre-muffler and thus will change the sound of your exhaust...

What is your current setup? and what don't you like about it?

I like it for when I am racing on the backroads of the middle of nowhere Florida but at night and when cruising the highway at a steady 2500-3000 rpm it does tend to be a bit too loud inside the car. Also I found out too late that I ordered the wrong size so its a 3" in 3" out so it has a shim going from 2 1/4 to 3 suddenly. I was planning on putting in a outlaw premuffler but I sold it.

Just want something that I can get the grunt when I want to and the steady when I need to.
Its not RUST but its getting that kind of color, its been a year and most of its life with me has sadly resulted in parking in the school lot. So there is a lot of environmental exposier to the system.
Ill keep the tip Ill just paint it with thermal paint or powercoat it. But I want to upgrade my exhaust to something more what would be on a 944 rather than a honda.

At first I thought to put in a 928 resonator in place of the cat, but now i do not know what to do.

I would love to put in a valve behind the cat/res or whatever its going to be, so it can be loud when I have to make my presence known!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

thanks pnbell for the pics and great info.
I will probably leave my setup as is for now,
cat and premuffler are one piece... could not remember.
i dont think i would like the tinny sound at idle
put i would be interested in a "premuffler only" setup IE; resonator , and take the catalytic out of the picture
Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

pnbell, I did the same thing to the cat on my turbo, except the cat is different and it left a big hollow portion of the exhaust which I later learned is causing lots of turbulence It sounds better though!

Anyway, what exactly does dansk mean? Is it a brand name? When I search for dansk parts all I can find is the cat back system pnbell just installed, which is way out of my price range.

For my n/a I was thinking test pipe and a turbo muffler I have collecting dust. I know they're straight through, I'm not sure about the n/a one
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Happy to Share! This community is a great resource!

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
pnbell, I did the same thing to the cat on my turbo, except the cat is different and it left a big hollow portion of the exhaust which I later learned is causing lots of turbulence It sounds better though!

Anyway, what exactly does dansk mean? Is it a brand name? When I search for dansk parts all I can find is the cat back system pnbell just installed, which is way out of my price range.
With a Turbo Engine the Turbo actually slows the exhaust gas which creates back pressure, and lowers sound volume. Glad it sounds Better!

DANSK: The JP Group is a Company in Denmark which make lots of Automotive Parts but Specializes in Porsche Exhausts which are called Dansk Exhausts (means Danish)

I actually bought this exhaust because for $300 it was more than %50 less than similar cat-backs (like Billy Boat for example). The Quality is amazing! It will last forever... Longer than the Car! ha ha! and installation was as easy as it gets..

Originally Posted by LP944
At first I thought to put in a 928 resonator in place of the cat, but now i do not know what to do.

I would love to put in a valve behind the cat/res or whatever its going to be, so it can be loud when I have to make my presence known!
928 resonator would work; but so would any pre-muffler...
As far as a Exhaust Valve: My father had one on a British Sports car! Pull a cable and the car was LOUD! Push it back in and the car was quiet... Search for "Exhaust Butterfly Valve" a couple new cars use them for variable Backpressure and Sound depending on RPM.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-16251/

and then something like this(there are cheaper ones out there.)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTP-QTEC25/

Quick Reply: Best 944 S2 bolt on aftermarket exhaust? (yes I did a search first :)