Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What $17 plus 3 hours detailing gets you... (and a decent camera)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Looks good. Your paint looks very level little to no orange peel at all. Good job.
Does any 944 (without a recent inexpensive paint job) have orange peel? Mine has zero! When it's polished it is so reflective that i can put contacts in my eyes using the reflection!

p.s. i am surprised with New cars that have orange peel... I saw a BMW 6 series with orange peel... Must've been a touchup paint job right???
Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnbell
Does any 944 (without a recent inexpensive paint job) have orange peel? Mine has zero! When it's polished it is so reflective that i can put contacts in my eyes using the reflection!

p.s. i am surprised with New cars that have orange peel... I saw a BMW 6 series with orange peel... Must've been a touchup paint job right???
I haven't really seen any 944's per se with orange peel, but lots of cars have orange peel. My buddy's 2007 BMW had orange peel.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
zblowfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody!

I am using Meguiars Cleaner Wax and Polish
Mothers Synwax for sealing
Mothers Scratch Remover

From what I understood this is the original paint with no respray, I am the second owner and it was originally a California car, * damn dash cracks!

If you look closely in some of the pictures, the paint does appear to have a very slight orange peel, but I assume it came from the factory that way.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 PM
DrewM
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

This is a great how-to on restoring a severely oxidized finish, it's amazing what can be brought back;

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbell

All 944s have orange peel below the doors if thats what youre referring to. But ive never seen one with orange peel anywhere else.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:42 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

your car looks awesome!! are those standard phone dials or 951 phone dials? your hard work definatly paid off because that car looks like it just came off the showroom floor man! nice work!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:49 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes...most porsche and any other car for that matter has orange peel. When repraying only part of a factory paint job...matching the orange peel is the challenge. Laying it down real smooth is a piece of cake.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
KlineS147
Advanced

FYI, you can skip the cleaner wax step, the polish is doing the same thing, if anything i would add a clay bar in before the polish stage.

Clay removes all surface debris, and a polish will remove a microscopic layer of paint or clear coat to give you a clean fresh paint surface.

The cleaner wax is nothing more then a wax mixed with a polish it is more designed for a 1 step clean and wax and done.

If anyone needs further advice i would be more then willing to help out, i own a detailing shop. I would be happy to recommend products and tips
Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM
teamking
Pro

Your car is very nice, but your photography is even better! Are you a professional?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kline where is your detailing shop located?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

looks great
Old 08-14-2011, 04:05 PM
zblowfish
Instructor

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
your car looks awesome!! are those standard phone dials or 951 phone dials? your hard work definatly paid off because that car looks like it just came off the showroom floor man! nice work!
Thanks! They are standard 944 phone dials from what I understood. Early offset.

I was running 17" Kinesis wheels for a while and had 4 spacers to run, so I decided to space out my rear wheels as they are sunken on a lot of 944s and don't look as great. I also feel a bit more planted (in my mind)

I am running 1.25" spacers in the rear on each side. I would not push it ANY further than that with stock phone dials if you are interested in spacing them out.

Again, I had the spacers laying around so I decided just to throw them on.

Originally Posted by whalebird
Yes...most porsche and any other car for that matter has orange peel. When repraying only part of a factory paint job...matching the orange peel is the challenge. Laying it down real smooth is a piece of cake.
Agreed, while it isn't an intense orange peel (still feels smooth to the touch unlike the side skirts) it is there, on any 944 that I have seen. At least my definition of orange peel.

Originally Posted by KlineS147
FYI, you can skip the cleaner wax step, the polish is doing the same thing, if anything i would add a clay bar in before the polish stage.

Clay removes all surface debris, and a polish will remove a microscopic layer of paint or clear coat to give you a clean fresh paint surface.

The cleaner wax is nothing more then a wax mixed with a polish it is more designed for a 1 step clean and wax and done.

If anyone needs further advice i would be more then willing to help out, i own a detailing shop. I would be happy to recommend products and tips
Thanks for the heads up, I will take your advice into consideration in the future, however I like what the cleaner wax was doing so I decided to use it.

Originally Posted by teamking
Your car is very nice, but your photography is even better! Are you a professional?
Thanks a lot! I really am surprised to see this comment. I picked up a good used DSLR recently with a kit lens and have been shooting quite a bit. Shooting at magic hour just makes everything look good! I am no professional, however I am an experienced web and graphics designer and I decided to start expanding my design skills. (Photoshop can be accounted for some of these pictures as well)

Originally Posted by dillon410021
looks great
Thanks a lot!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM
KlineS147
Advanced

I'm in Reading, PA halfway between Harrisburg and Philadelphia.

Quick Reply: What $17 plus 3 hours detailing gets you... (and a decent camera)