Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default engine drags on acceleration

You're not gonna believe this: Never, NEVER, believe what the prior owner tells you about what he did and did not do where prior maintenance was performed. I was told he "recently" changed the air filter was changed. Evidently the MOUSE didn't get the memo. I pulled the air cleaner to get to the AFM and this is what I found:

A mouse nest made from the sheepskin seat cover that was removed before I looked at the car.

Interesting thing I also found: motor oil in the bottom of the air filter box. Since the oil pan gasket is leaking pretty good I am wondering if there's back pressure in the crank case that's pushing oil back up. It would account for the oil pan gasket being pushed out. I may be grasping at straws here but I know that these are abnormal symptoms of something being awry.

Also I ran some seafoam through the brake booster hose and followed the instructions to the letter, i.e., 1/3 in the hose, wait 5, 1/3 in the fuel tank and the remainder in the crank case. When I started the motor back up there was no smoking. After seeing all the stuff on facebook, I am wondering why mine didn't smoke. Car runs better but still drags a bit on accel.

I also checked the vacuum lines and found a couple of questionable fittings which I sealed and made real tight. No evidence of weather deterioration of the rubbler parts. The big plastic fitting that fits into the brake booster rubber grommet: the grommet is lightly cracked and I wonder if that's an area of potential vacuum leaks that would affect the engine or the brakes or both.

I still have to change the fuel filter, check the injector with the noid and spray pattern, check the FPR AND FPD and replace as necessary. Maybe just replace them to be safe.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 08-19-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've gotta admit - that is kinda funny.

Glad you got it figured.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
oldjammer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

smart mouse ! great pic LOL
it sure seems like you are on the right path
Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

That mouse was living large in a Porsche surrounded by sheepskin.

Don't fret too much about oil in your filter, the aos vents through the intake and it's not uncommon to find oil in the intake, throttle, j-boot and air filter. It's a mist of oil that normally gets ingested back into the engine, but that mist get everywhere and if the maintenance isn't kept up it will gather into pools.

Quick Reply: poor acceleration