Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This just pi$$es me off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011 | 04:52 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

A few months ago, I was dropping my 5 year old son off at the curb to go to school... there was a dodge durango parked in front of me also dropping off kids. Once all the kids had exited the durango, the driver threw the car into reverse and promptly backed into the front of my car. Now, thankfully, I was working on the 951 so I was driving my Supra (beater)... but, still, I was shocked and very upset. The door of the durango opened and a 30's ish blond lady got out and walked back to my window and said "oh, hi there. It looks like I've hit your car". Mustering all of my composure (remember, I'm in front of an elementary school) I said "Yeah, you did hit my car". To which she replied "oh, well, back up a little so we can see if there's any damage". So, I backed up, and she glanced at the front of my car and said "Nope, It's fine" in the most annoyingly chipper tone I could imagine. Not willing to take her word that my car was fine, I jumped out and had a look for myself... amazingly enough, it was fine. So then she says, very nonchalantly "yeah, the back bumper of this thing is really flexible... I back into stuff all the time, and it never damages anything". That was when I lost it. I barked at her "you back into stuff all the time?!?!?". She nodded, with a rather concerned look on her face, and then I erupted "If your so bad at driving, STOP FU#$*NG DOING IT!!!".

She cried. I got back in my car and drove off. I almost felt bad about it for a while, but really, I think she got off easy.
Old 08-01-2011 | 07:12 AM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

Sorry Man!
Old 08-01-2011 | 08:21 AM
max_boost951
Racer

At least it wasn't your wife......i have a nice spot of touch up paint on my fender compliments of the one i live with.
Old 08-01-2011 | 09:01 AM
OHNOES
Intermediate

See, unfortunately, even the B.F.E. of parking lots is no longer safe. I had parked in the parking lot of the local community college, all the way in the back of one of the lower lots. Where there were perhaps 50 other vehicles, out of 200-300 spots. And somehow, some way, someone hit me to the point of moving my car into another parking spot, bending both of my front wheels, bending my steering knuckle and eradicating the passenger door.

So there are truly no sacred places.
Old 08-01-2011 | 09:51 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Vandalism and H&Rs aside: While you're worried about door dings, there are hundreds or thousands of people who would give their left kidney to be driving that P-car. Door dings are part of the price of admission; the only solution is to leave it in the garage. I'd rather drive mine.

Porsche everyday!
Old 08-01-2011 | 10:12 AM
jderimig
Racer

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Door dings are part of the price of admission; the only solution is to leave it in the garage. I'd rather drive mine.

Porsche everyday!
I got all my dings in the garage...kids

And one self-inflicted...worked on PS fluid resevoir, left it too high, closed the hood....DING! Now that really pi$$es you off.

I wait till I have 20 or so to fix and get it done all at once.
Old 08-01-2011 | 11:08 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by max_boost951
At least it wasn't your wife......i have a nice spot of touch up paint on my fender compliments of the one i live with.
+1 about once a month when i convince her to take a ride with me out of town for a drive... we get back, she opens the door and i hear "oops!" i don't even acknowledge it anymore
Old 08-01-2011 | 11:42 AM
EJZero1
Pro

Granted, in the grand scheme of things there are things far worse than a door ding. A few years back I had a Suburban totalled by a H&R while parked in front of our house overnight. Still really chafes my hide. I don't think it's so much the actual ding as much as it's the image of the idiots out there doing this on a daily basis and just shrugging it off as no big deal.
Old 08-01-2011 | 03:35 PM
kinda5150
Racer

i think the most of it is due to people thinking it's worth a helluva lot more than it is. can't count how many dings i've gotten. most recently, came out from work to find a bumper shock pressed in! no marks or anything, someone just backed right into it. oh well, what can you do?! i like the idea of shooting dye onto the offending vehicle, probably could use that dye that put in money when a bank gets robbed. that's supposed to be quite permanent.
Old 08-01-2011 | 03:46 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I just don't get it... it's either because people think that since they don't care about cars, no one does, or those who do are stupid... or it's people that are actually mad at us for having WORKED HARD for the nice things we own... So, either they're inconsiderate, or they're lazy bastards that are somehow offended by other people's hard-earned successes. Either way, they are pus in the gene pool and should be caged and subjected to medical testing so that they could at least contribute to society.
Old 08-01-2011 | 04:29 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I think we're being a bit too harsh here... I'm pretty sure all of us can say we've opened our doors into a car at at least one point in our lives... Even if it didn't cause any damage, or we didn't notice when we did it, sh*t happens sometimes... No need for hate and death wishes.
Old 08-01-2011 | 11:26 PM
ScottOgle
Instructor

There's good people out there too. I once walked out of a store only to see a guy chase down a wayward shopping cart as it was headed straight towards my '69 912, which I had parked clear at the end of the lot. The guy got the "save" and my car was spared by just about 2 feet. Before I could thank him he jumped into a car and left. I'll never forget that and it motivates me to clear shopping carts away from cars in parking lots now.

Scott
Old 08-01-2011 | 11:43 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

it really kills me when people do this crap, but you cant expect someone who could care less about their own car to care about yours. People are just crap, and most cant drive.
Old 08-02-2011 | 12:24 AM
stogie25
Instructor

There are many parking lots I will not take my 944 to. It is like a door ding magnet. When I first bought it some pinhead smacked into it while I was parked at a theatre watching a movie. I drive my Jeep instead to these places. It is armored for rock crawling, and the unintended benefit is that it is immune to door dings.

Safe for parking anywhere.

Door ding magnet.
Old 08-02-2011 | 08:35 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Well, all I know is that when I walk up to my 944, I'm not looking at the slight imperfections - the door dings, the scuffs in the paint, the dead bugs; I'm admiring the low, wide stance, the sleek shape and the dead sexy way the fenders meet the hood.

And once the door closes and the motor starts...

Quick Reply: This just pi$$es me off...