Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel bearings - totally confused because this doesn't match up with the FSM

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Holy crap, does that thing take some bearing out or what? It just took me longer to find the right 2 sockets than it did to press the bearing out. Literally under 2 minutes to get the one (hilariously bad) out.

After a beer, I'm gonna switch her from suck to blow.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
That tool is worth it's weight in gold...

It will press the new one in just as easy!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
That tool is worth it's weight in gold...

It will press the new one in just as easy!
Sweet Jesus that was way too easy. Yes, that bearing had been in the chest freezer for most of the week......but damn.

Who made this damn tool? This thing has Bruce written all over it (without having anything written on it). Wow.

Thanks again. I just need to get that race off the stub axle (which you have provided me with yet another tool to do before I go all "blue tipped wrench" on it) and reassemble. And then the other side, which ought to be a lot faster knowing what I know now (like the fact that once the axle nut it off there's really no good reason to pull the 6 cheeseheads off of the trailing arm side CV, dummy!).
Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Sweet Jesus that was way too easy. Yes, that bearing had been in the chest freezer for most of the week......but damn.

Who made this damn tool? This thing has Bruce written all over it (without having anything written on it). Wow.

Thanks again. I just need to get that race off the stub axle (which you have provided me with yet another tool to do before I go all "blue tipped wrench" on it) and reassemble. And then the other side, which ought to be a lot faster knowing what I know now (like the fact that once the axle nut it off there's really no good reason to pull the 6 cheeseheads off of the trailing arm side CV, dummy!).
It is indeed Bruce Arns tool..
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
It is indeed Bruce Arns tool..
Now I feel guilty for just borrowing one and not buying it from him.

Can't get the race off the stub axle, even with the puller. It (the puller) looks to be a bit crushed on the outside edges of the sharp surfaces, but I don't think that's the real issue. With as bad as that bearing was, I probably did some unintentional welding. It's in the freezer at the moment. I'm gonna try torching and cold chiseling in a few hours. If that doesn't do the job, the diamond bit Dremel wheel is coming out, followed by the chisel again.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Now I feel guilty for just borrowing one and not buying it from him.

Can't get the race off the stub axle, even with the puller. It (the puller) looks to be a bit crushed on the outside edges of the sharp surfaces, but I don't think that's the real issue. With as bad as that bearing was, I probably did some unintentional welding. It's in the freezer at the moment. I'm gonna try torching and cold chiseling in a few hours. If that doesn't do the job, the diamond bit Dremel wheel is coming out, followed by the chisel again.
I actually used it to separate the hub from the race on the car... some cold / heat cycles should take care of it for you... and if not the dremel will make short work of it!

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearings - totally confused because this doesn't match up with the FSM