Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transaxle drain plug (17mm socket plug) stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I find Penetrating oil, and a couple good wacks with a hammer always seems to get stuck bolts on stuck!

Congrats glad to hear!

p.s. I switched from Mobil 1 75w-90 -which made my transmission very noisy, "rattles at idle"- to Redline MT90 75w90 and now there is barely any noise!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 PM
944Will
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.
I read very widely before sourcing the redline locally (can't get Swepco).
Being a non-LSD I was tempted to try the 75W90NS but the supplier said only to use that if I was absolutely sure so I felt the MT 90 was the conservative approach.
It's not hypoid though is it? What's the deal there? Has that got something to do with additives? No one seems to mention any issues per se with it (other than those who have found they don't like it anyway).
Anyway, I'm going to give it a go. Will let it drain today and then jack up and use the hose method to drain it in till it over flows after leveling the car.
Cheers,
Will
Old 07-27-2011, 06:38 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

i use MT90. been happy so far. in fact just changed my fluid today (and used MT90 again)
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Will
SUCCESS!

What worked:

1) hit plug with degreaser and clean thoroughly
2) soak in WD40 (For what it was worth - almost certainly not much!)
3) grind 17mm Hex Bit back to flat
4) hit plug with heat gun for 5 min - hardly warmed the case at all - probably had no effect
5) tapped plug with hammer firmly and squarely - did not wail on it
6) tapped tool into plug firmly
7) using a standard ratchet with no extension found the best leverage, leaned on it to tighten
8) braced and hauled on it to loosen and it moved
9) worked out easily, came out with perfect thread and although socket is clearly damaged and needs replacing it is immaculate inside and no sign of metal bits or anything bad in the oil.

Thanks for the advice guys. Its great to have a win.

Leaving it to drain now.

Quick follow up questions:

Since it was cold when I finally got it to drain is it going to be fine to just leave it jacked up on the opposite side so it can slowly drain straight out of the hole?

Can I put it in neutral and idle the car to spin some of the remaining oil out? Or is that a big no no?
does it really matter?

I don't know what the PO had in the transaxle - it smells a bit like lanolin and although it is mostly like honey it is blackened and slightly frothed on the surface of the pan.

I have selected the RedLine MT90 75W90 oil for this change and will be interested to hear what people think about getting the most out of the draining.

I am waiting on the arrival of the new drain plugs so there is no rush.

Best regards and thanks for all the help guys!
Will
Great job!

Whenever I have a moment like this when something FINALLY comes out I always hear Mel Gibson in the back of my brain yelling

FREEDOM!!!
michael

Quick Reply: Transaxle drain plug (17mm socket plug) stuck