Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solved: 968 Caster blocks will not fit (Hamburg-Technic vs Porsche)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Solved: 968 Caster blocks will not fit (Hamburg-Technic vs Porsche)

Update: Ok I found on another thread that the HT brand often requires you to remove the paint/coating that is on the eccentric for it to fit, however, if I had known Paragon would ship me Hamburg-Technic which I can get for < $100 a pair I would have never ordered from them. I paid $190/pair for these at Paragon so I am going to be calling them and asking what happened, in the mean time I am closing this thread, thanks everyone!

Here is the other thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...h-technik.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:
I replaced my ball joints recently and discovered my caster blocks were torn up so decided to replace them with the 968 style, which I bought from paragon here:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Cast...341.023.01.htm

It lists 1990 944S2 so it is supposed to fit, but when I try to put the caster block on the eccentric it is WAY too tight, I used a rubber mallet and pounded it a couple times to try to get it on but it just stopped dead, when I removed it I found that it had scraped all the protective paint/coating on the eccentric back about 1/4" until it built up a ridge and halted progress. I think I could pound them on no problem if I sand all that paint/coating off of there but this just doesn't seem right to me based on everything else I have read! My old ones slide on and off with ease. I tried both sides and both casters and nothing fits easily at all... :-(

What am I missing here? Don't want to commit to pounding until I hear that I am on the right track! Thanks!

Last edited by ron.eddy; 07-23-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: updated my update
Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Not sure if this matters or not but I was looking at mine and I think something is odd here...

First here is a picture of the one from the paragon site which sell for $94, notice the smooth welds, clean inner metal tube, nice straight lines.

Now here are ones I found on Zims Autotechnic for $49, notice the shotty welds and the general "cheapness" look of it:

Now here is a picture of mine, the bag they came in says made by Hamburg-Technic and the part number is followed by "OES". Notice mine look just like the Zims ones, shotty welds and all, hell they are even out of square when I look at them from above:

Maybe I have it all wrong but I was pretty disappointed when I got these and they didn't come in a Porsche bag because the reason I paid top dollar for the Paragon ones is that many people have suggested avoiding the cheaper ones (and the eBay ones). Am I crazy or is something strange here?

UPDATE: Here is a site selling both of them, clearly the Hamburg-Technic one is the cheaper of the two: http://www.aboveallmotorwerks.com/pr...pn=95134102301

Last edited by ron.eddy; 07-23-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Add details
Old 07-23-2011, 04:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i bought two sets at zims for 110 dollars per set and free shipping.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:49 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so call paragon and ask them whats going on. Easy fix.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Agreed. I am going to do just that. I am closing the thread cause I answered my own question but for anyone coming here because their Hamburg Technik blocks won't fit hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Solved: 968 Caster blocks will not fit (Hamburg-Technic vs Porsche)