Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Jchiodi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the compressor out. drained, filled with PAG. re-installed, new receiver in. Come with low pressure switch. I'll leave that alone for now.

Couldn't get my vacuum hooked up, just rented one and running it now...

we'll see if it'll hold a vacuum! I've got one can of UV leak detector I;ll throw in. Just to double check.
jc
Old 07-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Jchiodi
Racer

Default Damn, not working. Something blocked?

I buttoned everything up. I had put about 5.oz of pag oil directly in compressor.

Pulled a vacuum down to 28 on manifold gauge, but it did not hold.

Couldn't figure out how to load the R134 in with gauge set? Said to use the center yellow hose but what do you hook that to?

So I did put some in with simple hose set. Compressor kicked on. But the air coming from vents was at best maybe 10 degrees cooler than ambient temp. (amb. 90+, vent maybe low 80's?)

Most I could get in was maybe 20 oz of freon. I think I can tell when the freon loading by coolness of can. It just wouldn't take that much. After a day the compressor still kicks on, but result is the same.

Gauge readings are as follows.

engine off-75 high side 70 low side
engine running- 0 high side 70 low side

as baseline on Acura 2004 tl

engine off 140 both sides

engine running 275 high side 50 low side.

What's up with this?

I will repost as new in case there's an ac tech to help
Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm guessing your expansion valve is stuck.

You should be able to connect your can tapper to the yellow hose using the fittings that come with the manifold set. Add only by opening the LP side valve. Put the can in a coffee can filled with hot tap water to help feed freon. (after you fix the EV)
Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jchiodi
Pulled a vacuum down to 28 on manifold gauge, but it did not hold.
That's where you needed to stop. You have a leak.

Your pressures are indicative of a low charge, and I'll also go with what 944Ross says about the expansion valve. While it could be something else, if you've done the rest properly that is the most likely candidate based on your pressures.

Here's my blogified post on recharging the system if you need some more specifics. I have no idea where it got to on here:
http://blarg.introspect.net/?p=7
Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to flush my system before charging. Every tech I talked to said flushing would likely cause more problems than benefit, and recommended doing it only with a professional system, and only when a compressor has nuked out, putting debris into the system. Damage to the expansion valve was mentioned more than once. The new-style parallel flow condensers use small orifices inside to distribute the flow and are supposed to be thrown away if the compressor shreds. $$$$$
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Jchiodi
Racer

wtb this stupid part?
Expansion valve.

Having trouble locating it. I've seen and heard enough about expansion valves from other sites that there was either a mid year change or a difference from factory and dealer installed ac systems, that the expansion valve could be different depending on the lookup system of the parts place! Even local dealer does not have in stock.

PART No. stamped on is a Nippo-Denso(sp) part #047500-0630. I have heard it was custom made for this application, and is superceded by a similar valve that is very hard to get situated in place?

Any help with getting this would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, wish I had just tried changing the fittings and putting new 134 in!

jc
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wtb this stupid part?
Expansion valve.

Having trouble locating it.
Try Zims. www.allzim.com
Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The single bulb expansion valve looks like my 924S.. Maybe early 944s and the 924S use the same?
You almost have to see it in person or talk on the phone. I ordered one from AutoHausAZ (not carried now) and they sent the wrong- 2 bulb --expansion valve.

Have you tried to clear the blockage in the old expansion valve by blowing air thru? Is the reason for replacement that the valve is frozen open or closed?
Have you cleaned the inlet AC line and outlet AC line of debris and gunk?

Vertex has them.
I have seen interchanges using AC Delco ? parts but do not have the info.

GL
John
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Jchiodi
Racer

Default AC Delco Part

Checked there website. This is the wrong one....
Waiting to hear back from other sites mentioned, although one wanted 90.00 for it!

Other places have all been in the 30's!

BTW. I did use a chemical blower made for ac to clean some of the lines at first.

also drained the compressor. I did not blow through the lines attached to the expansion valve because of the work involved in getting to them... now that they're open I will detach all lines again, blow through and then use compressed air to blow dry.

The expansion valve I would think was stuck closed because of the 0 reading on the manifold gauge on the high side? It is clear now, I can blow through it. Just don't know if I want to take a chance on reusing it after all this work..

jc
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

I just saw this on ebay from Automobile Atlanta

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-P...Q5fAccessories

???
John
Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

OR
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-ex...268/by_year/36

John
Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

BTW, wish I had just tried changing the fittings and putting new 134 in!
You say that now, but whatever clogged this would just have clogged it anyway eventually. Probably pretty soon.

You would also be very likely to come back in a few months saying "I wish I had just taken the time to flush the system properly" when your compressor took a dump from incompatible oil still being in the system and you had a clogged expansion valve, needed a new compressor, and had a system full of black death that needs to be flushed out so you don't eat another compressor and expansion valve.

I know it sucks, and it seems like you're doing more work, but there really isn't a shortcut to doing this properly and having the system last.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Jchiodi
Racer

Checked fcgroton. used them many times for volvo, second to none there, but not in stock on this..
I will check the Ebay thing though.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Jchiodi
Racer

Default AC Delco Part

Checked there website. This is the wrong one....
Waiting to hear back from other sites mentioned, although one wanted 90.00 for it!

Other places have all been in the 30's!

BTW. I did use a chemical blower made for ac to clean some of the lines at first.

also drained the compressor. I did not blow through the lines attached to the expansion valve because of the work involved in getting to them... now that they're open I will detach all lines again, blow through and then use compressed air to blow dry.

The expansion valve I would think was stuck closed because of the 0 reading on the manifold gauge on the high side? It is clear now, I can blow through it. Just don't know if I want to take a chance on reusing it after all this work..

jc
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

AMA??

This is my number (I have a used spare) ND 047500-0320 and info:

http://www.autoacforum.com/messagevi...threadid=21375

John

Quick Reply: a/c conversion question