Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5000 RPM 3/4 down the main straight. Blam, blam then engine shutdown! Twice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So you have stock chips with an adjustable boost controller installed and a CV valve installed?

Remove the lines to the lindsey wastegate and the boost controller. Run pressurized air through them and see if any sand like crap comes out of the lines. We had an issue with an overboosting car at RA which had a bunch of crap in the lines. Had to come from inside the wastegate, but was definitely a mystery. Blew out all the lines and all was good.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:39 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds incredible, but I'll check. Wastegate, CV valve vacuum lines are all brand new so if there is anything in there it must come from the WG. Maybe from sandblasting it?

I still haven't gotten a definitive answer to whether overboost protection will actually kill the engine. Does anyone know for sure?

I'm not sure I understand why everyone is focussing on overboost, but perhaps that is because I don't know enough about the overboost protection.

Would I not feel the fuel cut, like hitting the limiter, before the engine shuts down?

Last edited by bebbetufs; 07-29-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK,Because this doesn't happen at 5k in other gears, lets look for wiring that shifts around at speed. Something that would cause a short. Have you messed with any wiring?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:42 PM
ZW 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, its not because of the J-boot, when I bought my 86 turbo, the J-boot was in terrible condition. definentally not holding air, not clamped to the turbo, the turbo connector had been cut off, and a piece of tubing had been SET (not even held by anything) between the jboot and the turbo, and the car still ran strong. Definite improvement after replacing, but nothing like what youre describing
Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

J-boot is brand new, also it is always under vacuum. If this was a boost issue it would have to be on the pressure side of the turbo.

I did have a shut down which felt the same once, and that was because the inlet pipe was literally blown off the throttle body due to an under torqued hose clamp. It too made a loud bang, and the engine died in exactly the same manner. It was easy to spot the fault then, this time I can't find anything similar.

With regards to the wires. I have had the engine out of the car, so every wire to the engine has been touched more than once. I did not realize before but this was the first time I have run the car this hard and for so long since I bought it.

Should I get a new coil?

Quick Reply: 5000 RPM 3/4 down the main straight. Blam, blam then engine shutdown! Twice!