Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C charge port question----pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 PM
po9rs4ch4e
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C charge port question----pics

im wondering if this is the low pressure port because its the only port i can find on the compressor and the 2 ports (one on the ds strut tower and the other right next to the dryer) dont seem to fit the recharge kit so i assume theyre high pressure. also if this is the low port what is the best way to get the recharge nozzle on it because its on top of the compressor and really hard to get to. also, i know i have a leak because i got the ac fixed about 3 weeks ago and now it doesnt work. is it worth it to recharge it or should i try to fix the leak. there seems to be a lot of green stuff on the compressor (refrigerant?) so could the leak be near that? thanks for any help
Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Mine is on the inboard line next the strut tower. I had to unbolt the weltmeister brace I had put on to get at it. My recharger fit the inboard, not the outboard.

Mine had been swapped to R-134. If your recharge kit is a R-134, but your car has not mine swapped,the fittings would not fit. At least thats what a AC mech friend told me.

If niether of your connections near the strut tower fit your recharge kit, I bet your car still will use R-12. More expensive, but will cool ALOT better.

michael
Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, that is indeed the LP port for an Early 944. Have you converted to 134? By all means fix the leak, which seems to be right around the compressor. Has the compressor been out? Because it could well be the O-rings on the attachment of the block/hose that is right near that port. But no way you can live with a leak that sets the system so low in 3 weeks. You're also losing oil, and soon after you'll lose the compressor.

It's no treat getting a 134a port on there; most people use a 90-deg. adapter. Personally, I'd add a new LP port to a custom hose ($$$), it's really too much of a PITA to get to that one. If you need new hose anyway, it would be pretty cheap to add one.

PS -- a shop can completely charge the system using only the high pressure port.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell from the pictures, but on my old 85 & my now 83 the low side (suction) was on the compressor on the outboard side.
Options :
convert to r-134 (cheap way)
  • 90 degree R12 to R134 fitting from NAPA PARTS
  • shorter drive belt so that the 90 degree fitting has room, also from NAPA

Stick with the better setup and keep the R12
  • get a kit for some " Freeze-12" 3-cans of gas, 1-oil, 1-seal
  • loosen up belt tensioner, move compressor to get hose connected, tighten belt enough to get drive to compressor
  • Charge & seal system
  • loosen drive belt & remove hose, re-tension belt
  • be COOOOOL

I have just recharged my 951 again with freeze-12, my 83 944 also has it in it. It's easier than a conversion. The pre-85 AC compressor fittings are a bitch though. either way, you have to deal with loosening things up

Hope that helps
Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM
po9rs4ch4e
Advanced

thanks a lot for the replies. it is actually r134 and i just had it fixed up and charged by my mechanic but he told me theres a leak so there was no telling how long the recharge would last. im not too familiar with working on any ac stuff so whats my best bet? start replacing o rings and hope for the best or just take it and pay to get it fixed? how difficult is it to work on the stuff, like replacing o rings or a gasket?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:32 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you had it serviced by a professional, licensed refrigerant service tech there should be a warranty of at least 90 days. He should have checked it thoroughly for leaks. If he finds the compressor seals are indeed bad, you might not have a case, but if it's just the O-rings, they don't go bad overnight.

Quick Reply: A/C charge port question----pics