Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Replace Outer Window Seals

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 PM
jscholten
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Replace Outer Window Seals

I just replaced mine and thought I'd share what I did to replace the outer seals which worked pretty good. If you try to attach the outer seal with the clips already inserted into the door frame it will never work. This procedure has you attach the clips to the outer seal first.

What you will need:
1. New outer seals
2. New clips (12) (2 spares)
3. Small Flat Head Screwdriver
4. Needle Nose Pliers
5. Medium Size Paint Scraper
6. Marker
7. Soapy water
8. Paper Towel
9. A helper...this is a two person job.

Step 1. Remove old outer seals and clips.

Step 2. Form new outer seals to the contour of the door frame. I placed the new seals into the groove of the door and then saw how far the edge where the clips attach to protruded from the frame of the door. You want the edging that the clips attach to as close to the door frame as possible when the top part of the seal is in its proper placement (as you look at it from the outside).

Step 3. Attach new clips to new outer seals. When you have the new outer seal in position, mark the position for each of the 5 clips so that you can attach the clips to the outer seal when you remove it from the frame. Remove the seal and attach the clips to the marked positions.

Step 4. Lubricate outer seal and door frame slot. Use the paper towel to apply soapy water to the slot along the door frame that the outer seal will go into. Also apply soapy water to the edge of the outer seal that goes into the door frame slot.

Step 5. Attach outer Seal to door. Place the outer seal in place in the slot of the door frame. Adjust the clips position as needed to line up with the holes in the frame where they will be inserted into. Use the Paint Scraper to apply swift pressure to the clip (in the upper groove) while the other person holds the outer seal in place. One of you may also have to hold the small flat head screwdriver up against the clip to keep it up against the door frame while the other person is applying pressure from above.

Just bought my first Porsche and it is a restored 1989 944 2.7L with 968 modifications and I love it. Hope this is helpful to someone else trying to replace the outer seals.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
Carm.lomb98 (01-11-2023)
Old 06-19-2011, 12:26 AM
kombatrok
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I just tried to replace those seals on my Turbo and could not get them seated properly at all.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:16 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Reviving this old thread - can existing clips be re-used, or is it necessary to get new clips?
Old 12-21-2018, 03:32 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Finally....A pictorial tutorial on how to replace these trims. Thanks so much for this.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:46 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Finally....A pictorial tutorial on how to replace these trims. Thanks so much for this.
Nice writeup here I had frustratingly tried bending clips and hammering those pieces on once long ago only to roll the window down and up and watch them pop right off again. I think I ended up drilling little screws in them ultimately to hold them on. With some gorrilla tape and hot glue. It was a terrible deisgn in my book and I didnt want to spend any more time on it. They dont leak anymore and definitely save your window motors and door locks from freezing or rusting over time as water just keeps running in that track with the old rubber parts worn out
Old 12-22-2018, 10:58 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Where do you get the outer seals?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:56 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Where do you get the outer seals?
Any dealer, ecstuning.com, etc. I prefer sunsetporscheparts.com.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:13 PM
dozybee
Intermediate

Default Extra information

Crude sketch
To add to the other parts of this rather old thread.

We have fitted our window scraper using new clips. If you have the clips then we found that it was best to
remove the old ( rusted ones ) and fit the new ones into their slots.An old wood chisel can neatly pry the old clips out.
The new ones clip in firmly. Be sure to face the scraper retainer hook the correct way up.

The next step is to get the scraper into the front part of the window. Using lots of silicone spray and some
old, fat, feeler gauges the lip of the scraper was neatly secured as far forward as possible.
(Do not bend the u shaped rod in the scraper or disturb the u shaped aluminium bar in the window. )

Having nudged the scraper as far forward as possible the rest of the scraper can be positioned above
the u shaped aluminium rail in the door. However you need to ensure that the rubber flap that will
be held by the clips is positioned so that it can eventually be pushed into the clips. A helper would be nice.

First press the scraper into the u slot manually to get it located and when satisfied, gently tap it in with a
broad piece of wood and a small mallet/hammer. Using the rounded ends of the thick feeler gauges the
rubber flap can then be gently pressed into the clips until they click into place.

Lots of silicone spray or soapy mix will help a lot.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:14 PM
KevW
8th Gear

Default Outer seals gap =- wet door cards?

Thanks for the update! Now I know how to fix the gap in my window seals, 1/16 to 1/8 gap on both windows. During heavy downpours the bottom of my door cards can get wet, door actually fills with water until the drain holes do their job.

Exterior window seal / scraper gap on 924SE incorrect?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:40 AM
MattSlay
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW - the part number for the little metal clip is: 171-837-485

I think it's also a common part used on Volkswagen cars also.

I bought my new ones from Pelican Parts for about $2.25 each.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...71-837-485-OEM

Old 05-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I've spent at least 3hrs trying to do this on my 924 with another friend, and I'm giving up on this one. We've tried the soapy water mix, paint scraper and advice in the thread, it just isn't working for my car for whatever reason.

It's frustrating to think after the near restoration I've done on the car at home, THIS is the one thing I'm gonna have to pay someone to do. I'd rather replace the clutch again, it was easier than this!
Old 10-23-2022, 06:16 PM
Corvalliscraig
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The one thing I can't ascertain is if the glass is removed to do either of the above methods? I'd like to know before I start removing door cards. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:24 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Corvalliscraig
The one thing I can't ascertain is if the glass is removed to do either of the above methods? I'd like to know before I start removing door cards. Thanks.
Not strictly necessary, but is probably helpful. Also keep a nice supply of bad words handy, you'll probably use them!
Old 10-25-2022, 04:58 PM
Corvalliscraig
Advanced

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Not strictly necessary, but is probably helpful. Also keep a nice supply of bad words handy, you'll probably use them!
🤣I've learnt more every time I do something.

Can I ask somebody to post pictures of the bottom corner of the window showing the shape how the rubber is cut and fits against the vertical rubber please
Old 11-05-2022, 05:00 PM
Corvalliscraig
Advanced

Sorry, one more question please about the aluminum strip that sits on top of the door and which the rubber fits into.

Is this alu strip supplied with the seal or is it separate. My professional fitter used glue/sealant to glue everything in the wrong place so now need to buy another set and fit myself as I know it'll be done right.

Quick Reply: How to Replace Outer Window Seals