Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie Question- what tires for DE vs AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 PM
tsy911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another Newbie Question- what tires for DE vs AutoX?

Hi again

Now that my questions regarding the staggered setup are answered, I have a question about what kind of tires people are running on the track vs AutoX?

I can't seem to find a lot of info about the 951 and tire choices.

I'm thinking of running Dunlop Star Specs as I've heard a lot of good things about them. Another option would be Yokohama AD08s. I live in Seattle and need tires that are rain friendly and do reasonably well when temps drop into the 50s.

I had Hankook RS3s on my last track car but they did not do so well when cold and wet.

I thought about Nitto NT01s or NT05s, but don't think they'll do too well in the rain either.

Maybe Toyo RA-1s?

Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated! I am a reasonably good driver but no expert and like the idea of forgiving tires until I get to know the car better.

Thanks!

tom
Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read your rulebook first, when it comes to AX, different clubs have different rules about tires. What makes a tire great for AX, may not make it great for track/de use.

Then.. do you want a dedicated set? or will these be on the car all "summer" (ie, dry weather? some rain? etc)

In the "keep it simple" plan, I think a tire like the RA-1/R888 is a great compromise. Streetable (with due care), relatively sticky, wears well too. I've run them for the past 6-7 years, and ran Khumo Victoracers for years before that. Reasonable mileage per season. Ran them on the car from "april to oct" - drive to/from events on them, DE events, AX events etc. I've never been a fan of changing wheels in hot summer parking lots just to get that extra two-tenths at a non-paying event

I am considering the Hankook RS-3s and Toyo RA-1s for my car next.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 PM
tsy911
Track Day

Oh right. Thanks.

I was thinking dedicated track tires but I drive to the events. I am not looking at competing seriously, just out to have fun on the track and maybe some AutoX events. So I'm leaning more towards DE tires than AX tires.

Definitely "summer" tires but here in Seattle summer can mean 50 degrees and raining!!!

This car is not my DD so the tires don't have to be comfortable. Just safe enough to get me 30 miles back and forth from the tracks.

tom
Old 06-18-2011, 01:27 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Autocross tires are DE tires. You have tow basic choices street tire or R compound tires. R compound tires tend to be under 100 treadwear and stickier than street tires. R tire tend to have less groves and less tread depth. This is not great for water.

I run RA1s in the dry or wet on my race car and they work well. I never drive the car on the street however. How much experience do you have on r tires? If none get street tires and learn the car first. This way when go off track you will be going slower than if you had r tires.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

R specs are fine for what you want to do, but as they wear they become dangerous on the street. If you're going to be driving in rain regularly enough, then you probably should go for street tyres. I had a pretty bad accident on the way back from the track on some worn Nittos. Could have been really bad too.
You'll get sick of road tyres soon enough and want to step up. R specs are definitely a step up and offer much better grip than road tyres but they do wear faster. Ideally you would have a spare set of wheels / tyres that you fit when at the track....and reading your other thread, yes, square setup (or close to it) works well on these cars.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:19 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

I have been running RA1's for several years now. Driving to and from events and Autox's. They work very well and last a long time. When they get good, you don't want to be running them on the street when it gets wet.

Last year my son started doing autox so I switched to Dunlop Star Specs. That way he can learn to drive the car and not start off developing R bad habits. Not to mention the budget. RA1's are now over $200. So far, they are wearing very well and stick nicely. My times are about 1 to 1.5 seconds behind a 968 on Bridgstone RA1 slicks. On Toyo's it was a toss up who would be faster.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM
tsy911
Track Day

I wasn't looking at R-comps because of the driving in the rain issue and I do want to learn the cars basic handling characteristics first. The Toyos are tempting though since they seem to do ok in the rain.

I was mostly wondering what street tires you guys run on the track or AutoX on the 944. It seems the star specs are popular but I haven't heard a lot about the AD08s. I like Bridgestones but they tend to be heavy tires.

Price wise the Star specs are quite a bit less than the Yoks or Bridgestones or Michelins as well.

Thanks for the help and input! Hopefully I'll get her out to the track and have my own impressions soon!

tom
Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most AXers are cheap bastards

SCCA uses a "street tire" definition of having a treadwear rating of 140 or above. As a result, you will find most "r comps" have a rating of about 100 or less. Hoosiers, which are basically slicks, have a rating around 40.

Some are also suspicious that while legal, some of the "140 rated" tires are actually stickier than they are rated.. why? well, marketing of course, but also because that number isn't vs a industry standard but a "within brand" subjective rating.

I know folks like Bridgestone Potenze xxx model, Khmo ecxta xxx model, I think the Yokes and Michelins tend to be very expensive, and for the money, AXers would rather have Hoosiers or Khumo V710s.

Also consider that some of what the SCCA guys run use because of sponsorship contingency money. Placing top 3 at SCCA tour events can easily pay for the trip itself.

On the "not sticky at all" scale, on my "street" rims I have (which are 17's - see my avatar) I have Fuzion ZRi tires. They are made by Bridgestone. At my last event, I was about 2 tenths behind an '86 944 running RA1s (he should have been faster )

They are only about $100-120/tire. They are a true street tire and come fully treaded. Something also with a 300+ treadwear rating.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 AM
tsy911
Track Day

Originally Posted by racer
At my last event, I was about 2 tenths behind an '86 944 running RA1s (he should have been faster )

Yes, the driver really does make a difference!

Well, I ordered my star specs. Hopefully they'll get me through the rest of the year!

tom
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tsy911
Yes, the driver really does make a difference!

Well, I ordered my star specs. Hopefully they'll get me through the rest of the year!

tom
Good choice! Chuck

Quick Reply: Another Newbie Question- what tires for DE vs AutoX?