Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch?

So I am having a few electrical gremlins going on. I will get in the car (it has been pretty frequent the last couple of days) and turn the ignition to the on position. The fans (both) turn on high and none of the gauges will function (although some of the warning lights will light up). The sunroof will not operate either. I had to manually close it today to keep the car from getting flooded by an impending thunderstorm (huh, an 86 with an early sunroof mechanism?)... anyway, does this sound like a ground issue or an issue with the ignition switch? I havent really sat down to look into the wiring diagram yet... anybody had this type of issue before?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thunderstorms in June..... madness.

I haven't had a problem exactly like that but what I'd suggest is check the wiring diagram, usually when you look for the spot where all the affected systems join, it leads you to what the problem might be, like the ignition switch or something. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Yeah... I have spent the morning tracing out the circuits on the diagram and checking a few points in the car. The problem corrected itself again (damn intermittent stuff). But from the looks of things it can be one of two points that is causing the issue. It can be either MPIII ground point or the ignition switch. My personal opinion is that it is the ignition switch.... but I have been known to be wrong in the past..LOL

So does anyone know exactly where the MPIII ground point is on the inner firewall? I took a peak under the dash but did not see any ground points where the diagram was showing....
Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know about late dash cars, but on early dash cars there are a few "spade trees" behind the fuse box that ground a whole bunch of wires to chassis. Maybe it's one of them? I think late dash cars have a ground behind the instrument cluster too but I could be wrong.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 PM
AScholtes
Pro

I dunno... I havent found anything. i may have to pull the cluster again to check it out...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:51 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds to me like the ignition switch. Most the time wiring doesnt just start acting up, its pieces that get used alot like switches and sensors that fail.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 PM
AScholtes
Pro

That's what I'm thinking... its really intermittent.....

Quick Reply: Ignition switch?