Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling and hesitation started yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling and hesitation started yesterday

91' S2 Cab 95k

Yesterday morning on the way to work I was following this really nice 911SC targa we got to an intersection and my car stalls. The first time since I have owned it that it stalled. Restarted and kept going then on the highway in slower traffic 3rd gear around 3000 RPM is kinda hesitated and bucks a little bit.

This morning I started it up to warm up while I was moving my other car out of the way and about 3 minutes after starting it stalls on its own. On the way to work again doesn't feel quite right with a little bucking when I got off the gas in 3rd at about 3000 RPM. Also purely seat of the pants it feels a bit down on power.

I took a quick look under the hood and nothing obvious looks unplugged or loose.

Its going to rain this weekend so I will have some time to play around. I am thinking I will take a look at the AFM and generally look for vac hoses that are loose or leaking. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check plugs, plug wire connectors, rotor, cap, fuel injector connectors, dme relay...

and yea look for a loose or cracked vacuum line
Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 PM
reznor
6th Gear

I wonder if you are experiencing the same thing I am.

When it starts to stall, try disconnecting the TPS and see what happens.

I'm driving my car right now with the TPS disconnected because once it warms up and goes into closed loop mode, it runs super lean and barely keeps running. In fact, I think if I didn't press the gas it probably would stall. I have another o2 sensor on the way, and I suspect mine is hooped. I think it is reading no oxygen, and as a result the computer tries to compensate with lowering the fuel delivery to get the proper ratio.

By disconnecting the TPS you force it back into open loop. While it would run really rich, it *should* keep it from stalling out if this is your problem as well.

Now, it is possible that your situation has nothing to do with the 02 sensor and whether or not it is in open or closed loop. In which case I would look at the standard issues... not enough spark, or not enough fuel.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar bucking/down on power happening to me a few weeks back in my S2. I replaced plugs a few months ago, so did plug wires, cap and rotor, and the ignition control module (16v specific part). So far so good.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Update
One of the plug wires seemed loose so I replugged it and things seemed good for a day or 2 but today the problem is back and the wire is not loose.

Seemed to happen going down hill and also over some bumps. Fuel delivery/pickup?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Unknown. I have not done it in the 2 years I have had it and the few records I have from the car have no record of fuel filer change.

I will order one and try it out. Thanks

Quick Reply: Stalling and hesitation started yesterday