Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing my 944 back to life

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Marajit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already did the pulling and wiggling wires bit, unfortunately.

No joy.

I guess the Porsche Gods feel I am in need of more time on my back under the dash.

I love my car a little less with each passing day.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on bringing this old 944 back to presentable and working condition. It reminds me a lot of my old 83, which was Gemini instead of Stone Gray, but really similar. I loved that car.

One thing you can do for not much money if you're any good at sewing or have someone at home who can volunteer to help, is recover the steering wheel. I did mine with a kit from www.aglausa.com and it really cleans up the interior.

There should be an old post where I explained how to reproduce the factory stitching using two needles, although definitely better to do this with the wheel removed from the steering column.

Enjoy the car!

Originally Posted by Marajit
Already did the pulling and wiggling wires bit, unfortunately.

No joy.

I guess the Porsche Gods feel I am in need of more time on my back under the dash.

I love my car a little less with each passing day.
Get a Haynes manual if you don't have one already. There are wiring diagrams for each 944 model year in the back.

The wiring for all the lighting on these cars is color coded and you can easily trace the problem if the foglights aren't working.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marajit
Assume "the position" haha. I spent hours upon hours in the position last summer when I was getting mine roadworthy. It's great bonding time. Just makes you appreciate the car and the with you've done (or is that just me? Is everybody else lazy?) LOL
Old 12-24-2011, 06:13 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

i'm afraid to remove the cover from the steering wheel. its an aftermarket cover that has been stitched into position. i can tell that its been on there for a LONG time. if i remove it, maybe i will find that the wheel has been covered since new..maybe i will find that its worn down considerably and i will regret removing the cover. its a gamble for me. from what i can see around the blue stitching, the original leather looks great.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

next thing to do today is to replace the rear shocks. i picked up a new set and i will take some pics of the install process!!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
i'm afraid to remove the cover from the steering wheel. its an aftermarket cover that has been stitched into position. i can tell that its been on there for a LONG time. if i remove it, maybe i will find that the wheel has been covered since new..maybe i will find that its worn down considerably and i will regret removing the cover. its a gamble for me. from what i can see around the blue stitching, the original leather looks great.
I started a thread about a month ago regarding steering wheel covers. I came to the conclusion that if I want it to look factory I would end up sending it to 928leather or aglausa.com. They will recover it completely, to the tune of about $300 though. This is something I will do at some point after my other projects slow down.

Mine also had a cover on it. It looked like a wheelskin or something like that. I cut it off and it was just the plastic shell underneath. The original cover was long gone.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

that's kind of what i'm afraid of.. i hate to remove the cover to find a crappy wheel underneath. i may just replace the wheel before i remove the cover. when i remove the cover and if the wheel looks perfect underneath, then i will reinstall it and consider myself lucky!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I put a momo wheel on mine in the meantime. It's ok but I'm not crazy about it. I prefer the larger diameter of the porsche wheel.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

congratulations.... enjoy it.

wait; it's running right ?

Last edited by odurandina; 02-18-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I have a PERFECT three spoke steering wheel sitting in my garage... Unsure if I'll ever sell it
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
congratulations.... enjoy it.

wait; it's running right ?

it runs great!! could use torque tube bearings though..
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Butters944
I have a PERFECT three spoke steering wheel sitting in my garage... Unsure if I'll ever sell it
well if you do, i'd be a buyer!!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

going to do the shocks today. i got caught up going over the new house we are buying yesterday and running around with the wife and kids. this morning i'm hitting the garage for some work on the 944!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This long rubber seal (grommet) shrinks over time and actually gets shorter. Keep your eyes open on ebay and you'll find another one in new condition. I did and it was like magic to see everything fit again. This also happens, by the way, with the sunroof drain line that goes down the A pillar and causes water leaks in the passenger footwell. It's a lot of work, restoring these cars, isn't it? I'm doing the same with my '87, although my car was in better condition when I started, I"m still doing a lot of rebuild of belts, rollers, rubber seals, clutch, injectors, ignition, wheels, brakes, etc. Stay the course. It's worth it.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:40 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

got the drivers side shock on... went to install the passenger side and the new shock is blown. a new one is on order already for a direct exchange. will post pics this evening.

Quick Reply: Bringing my 944 back to life