Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C question about pressures

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:11 AM
pjg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingston944
The car is 1987 n/a sticker says 33,5oz R12 which when using duracool is 2 cans. I have a manifold set and today I checked the pressures and at idle it is low side 59 high side 125 .Then increased the idle to 2000rpm and low pressure is 32psi and high is 195. I am using duracool 12a .If I increase faster then 2000rpm the pressure changes as well I realize that the pressure changes with ambeint tempertures.
Did you try bleeding some off ? 59Lbs on the low side is to high.

CHARGING PROCEDURE

1. Recover any existing refrigerant charge into a suitable container, regulations vary by region and the recovery of existing refrigerant may need to be completed by an authorized technician. Leak test the system, if a leak is detected the system must be repaired prior to charging. DURACOOL® is flammable and should only be leak tested with an electronic hydrocarbon leak tester, soap bubbles or fluorescent tracer fluid. If leaks are detected, ventilate the area, keep away from flames and repair the leak. After repair, continue with the charging procedure. Pull a vacuum of at least 25 cm Hg (10 in Hg). If a vacuum pump is not available be sure to use Duracool® DuraDry™ to remove system moisture.

2. Locate the low side service port of the AC system. Generally it will have a blue or a black cap (Do not connect to high-pressure side. This may cause components to fail and cause bodily injury.)

3. Remove low side dust cap. Connect hose to system by pushing on to the male service port fitting; ensure that the coupler fits snugly into place. The installation of a conversion service port fittings may be required to permit connection.

4. Using only a device designed for the purpose, connect charging hose to the DURACOOL® container. Ensure that you are only charging liquid DURACOOL® (invert the 6 oz. can) into the low side of system.

5. After a minimum charge is achieved, start the compressor and set system to medium fan. When the compressor cycles on and off about every 45 to 60 seconds stop the flow of refrigerant. Check the vent for cooling. If cooling is inadequate or compressor is cycling excessively add small amounts of DURACOOL® by opening and closing valve handle. Low side pressures should read between 28 and 45 psi.

6. Do not overfill. Exercise patience and let the system operate for several minutes before adding refrigerant.

7. Apply refrigerant identification tag on dry area near installation port.

8. DO NOT OVERCHARGE! Exceeding 60 psi on low side may damage compressor. In some cases, clearing the site glass overcharges the unit. Any overcharging may cause loss of cooling efficiency.

When charging systems with DURACOOL® the pressures will be the same for the low side as factory ( 28 - 45 PSI) and about 5-10% lower on the high side than CFC-12 and may be as much as 20 -30 % lower on the high side for
R-134a systems.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
kingston944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the system was completely empty and I installed the correct amount the system calls for. I pull a vacuum for 1.5hrs it held vacuum for 1.5 hrs then I charged it with 2 6oz cans which it calls for . 59 on the low side is at idle and if I increase the RPM to 2000 the pressure is 32psi??
Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's normal for low pressure to be lower at higher RPMs, if that's your question. Lower is better = colder
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 PM
kingston944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if I installed the correct amount of Duracool then the at idle pressure being high is more then likely the expansion valve or a receiver dryer, one or the other might be plugged ?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I re-read the Duracool instructions above, posted by PJG. It says to add refrigerant until low side pressures are 28 - 45. That is a more precise way of detecting full charge than putting in a calculated amount. I would try letting some out until you get those pressures, and see how it performs.

Quick Reply: A/C question about pressures